TSR Catholic Society Watch

The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Wilsoncw1997)
Catholic here from China. Good to be in this society.
Welcome! Glad you found us :jebus: :awesome:
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
During my week in France I came across several churches dedicated to Our Lady, or Notre Dame, to be correct. Notre Dame de Pays, Notre Dame de Jerusalem, and Notre Dame de Consolation are three I recall. I wonder how many varieties of dedication to Our Lady there are?
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
During my week in France I came across several churches dedicated to Our Lady, or Notre Dame, to be correct. Notre Dame de Pays, Notre Dame de Jerusalem, and Notre Dame de Consolation are three I recall. I wonder how many varieties of dedication to Our Lady there are?
Lots is the answer I think...

Don't forget Notre Dame de Paris... And the ever popular Out Lady of Lourdes!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Talking of France: today is the feast day of St Joan of Arc! :awesome:

Just thought as a voice hearer, I should mention it :ninja:
Aula
Rep:
?
Oops... this thread kinda died...

Here's a feel good story for you all
http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-latin-america-27600715
Aula
Rep:
?
Happy Pentecost everyone!
May the Holy Spirit come and fulfil every God-given desire in your hearts
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Happy Pentecost everyone!
May the Holy Spirit come and fulfil every God-given desire in your hearts
I forgot about Pentecost

I'm bad at remembering events...

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Thanks Aula! Happy Pentecost to everyone in the group
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Please can I ask you all to pray for some people? I've just been told that a family friend passed away few days ago and his family are having a hard time with grief. He was a very good man and hopefully he's happier where he is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Asariond
Badges: 4
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Seems like an appropriate place to ask; I'm thinking of joining the Catholic Church for a number of reasons, most notably and obviously due to the fact I feel it would bring me closer to God. But would the fact that I'm a homosexual, with no intention of repressing that for the sake of stigma within the faith, be an obstacle towards membership, or would most Catholics be alright with that, especially amongst the student population?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by donutaud15)
Please can I ask you all to pray for some people? I've just been told that a family friend passed away few days ago and his family are having a hard time with grief. He was a very good man and hopefully he's happier where he is now.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Very sorry to hear that. Will of course pray :sadnod:

(Original post by Asariond)
Seems like an appropriate place to ask; I'm thinking of joining the Catholic Church for a number of reasons, most notably and obviously due to the fact I feel it would bring me closer to God. But would the fact that I'm a homosexual, with no intention of repressing that for the sake of stigma within the faith, be an obstacle towards membership, or would most Catholics be alright with that, especially amongst the student population?
You'd have to ask about doing RCIA at your local parish and speak to the priest in charge about your particular situation and whether or not you would be able to go through RCIA.

Generally speaking, Catholic homosexuals are expected to either not partake in sexual activities with someone of the same gender or outside of marriage (gay marriages not being recognised as marriages by the Church)... or not partake in some sacraments like receiving the Eucharist. I think I'm right in what I say here - Aula can correct me if I'm wrong.

So I guess the question is, how you would feel about your parish priest probably refusing to give you the Eucharist, if he knows that you're a so-called "active" homosexual? :dontknow:

Either way, welcome to the Soc! :hi:
Asariond
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
You'd have to ask about doing RCIA at your local parish and speak to the priest in charge about your particular situation and whether or not you would be able to go through RCIA.

Generally speaking, Catholic homosexuals are expected to either not partake in sexual activities with someone of the same gender or outside of marriage (gay marriages not being recognised as marriages by the Church)... or not partake in some sacraments like receiving the Eucharist. I think I'm right in what I say here - Aula can correct me if I'm wrong.

So I guess the question is, how you would feel about your parish priest probably refusing to give you the Eucharist, if he knows that you're a so-called "active" homosexual? :dontknow:

Either way, welcome to the Soc! :hi:
Fair enough, that's very useful, thank you! I've already sent an e-mail to the chaplain of my university to see what he says, and it if it isn't supportive then I'll have to look elsewhere, but we'll see how it all goes and hope for the best
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fair enough, that's very useful, thank you! I've already sent an e-mail to the chaplain of my university to see what he says, and it if it isn't supportive then I'll have to look elsewhere, but we'll see how it all goes and hope for the best
Cool, I really hope you are able and still willing to join the Church! Let us know what your chaplain says and if we can help in any way with your decision-making and discernment of this matter I am not that knowledgeable myself (despite being a cradle Catholic ) but am always willing to try and help you out if I can

As someone who is most probably bisexual or lesbian, I do love the Church, even if I don't always agree with it :love:
Asariond
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
Cool, I really hope you are able and still willing to join the Church! Let us know what your chaplain says and if we can help in any way with your decision-making and discernment of this matter I am not that knowledgeable myself (despite being a cradle Catholic ) but am always willing to try and help you out if I can

As someone who is most probably bisexual or lesbian, I do love the Church, even if I don't always agree with it :love:
There's a lot about the Catholic Church I admire from a theological/philosophical perspective, and it'd be a privilege to be a part of it. But I'm not going to compromise my identity to do so. It's my firm belief God made me this way for a reason, and I think the Catholic Church's teachings on sexuality really need updating :P But I'll get by either way. Church is wonderful, but God's present in the soul of humanity just as much as in holy places. At the end of the day, I'm happy to call myself a Christian, come what may. Thank you for your support
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
There's a lot about the Catholic Church I admire from a theological/philosophical perspective, and it'd be a privilege to be a part of it. But I'm not going to compromise my identity to do so. It's my firm belief God made me this way for a reason, and I think the Catholic Church's teachings on sexuality really need updating :P But I'll get by either way. Church is wonderful, but God's present in the soul of humanity just as much as in holy places. At the end of the day, I'm happy to call myself a Christian, come what may. Thank you for your support
No worries! You might like to look at this website btw: http://questgaycatholic.org.uk/ . It may be of interest to you and a way to meet people who are currently Catholic and identify as LGBT :yes:
Aula
Rep:
?
Yeah, basically what TLG said. The Catholic church teaches that sex should have the potential of being life giving, and should be within the union of holy matrimony. The first, for obvious reasons, can never apply to any kind of homosexual sex, and as a result, can never apply to the second.

Be gay by all means, you cannot do anything about how you feel, but unfortunately, if you are not prepared for a life of celibacy, the Catholic church may not be the place for you. It is, however, worth sayin that the same applies to straight unmarried people joining the Catholic church. If they never marry, they should never have sex.

It's worth having a look around on the Internet though. I've read some beautiful posts from homosexual Catholics about how they came to an acceptance of the church's teachings :yep:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
So apparently, today is the feast of St Anthony of Padua

Real life testimony here: Feefifofum from X Soc lost a very precious pair of earrings. I prayed to St Anthony and they eventually turned up in a very bizarre place :ahee:
TheGalwayGirl
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Woop for St. Anthony! He's saved my arse so many times when I've lost stuff
Aula
Rep:
?
St Anthony is super awesome.

My mum lost the diamond from her engagement ring. Her mums from the Catholic primary school friends said they'd pray to St. Anthony for her, and it turned up in the car park shortly after :awesome:

This place has been pretty quiet lately :sad:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
St Anthony is super awesome.

My mum lost the diamond from her engagement ring. Her mums from the Catholic primary school friends said they'd pray to St. Anthony for her, and it turned up in the car park shortly after :awesome:
:ahee:

This place has been pretty quiet lately :sad:
Yeah, sorry about that. Have been quite ill and feeling very isolated and forsaken by God, blah blah, so haven't been spamming the thread as much :getmecoat:
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1114)
78.9%
Leave (298)
21.1%

Watched Threads