TSR Catholic Society Watch

donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
So sorry to hear about this Thanks for letting us all know. I will certainly pray :sadnod:
Thank you. It's a sad day and it was so unexpected.

Also while I'm here I could also do with prayers. I'm not doing great physically and I'm quite scared. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by donutaud15)
Thank you. It's a sad day and it was so unexpected.

Also while I'm here I could also do with prayers. I'm not doing great physically and I'm quite scared. :no:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Will add your own intention to my prayers :sadnod: I'm doing uni work today but will be here and on Facebook on and off if a small chat would help. Afraid I can't chat for too long though coz I'm seriously behind :sad:
kate1902
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by The Epicurean)
I don't think it is in the least bit surprising. Catholicism is generally a rather socially conservative religion and this is due to the fact that those higher up within the Church are mostly older men. These are men who would have largely grown up in societies/communities where such socially conservative views were common. Younger generations have always been the ones to generally turn against such socially conservative ideals and to embrace more newer socially liberal ideals.

I do however believe that a generation or two along, when today's younger priests who have grown up with more socially liberal ideals because the Churches leaders, that the Catholic Church will experience a changing stance towards such issues.

Sorry to butt in, I'm new to this thread

I agree with you to some extent. I feel like us Catholics are always portrayed as this really closed and conservative religion, which actually bothers me. Yes, it is true that we are conservative regarding certain matters, but having grown up in a mostly Catholic country (Portugal) has never made me see our religion in that light. I know that there are groups for catholic gay people, and for Catholic divorced people too. The Church does not shun them despite its conservative stance in these matters. I don't see that in many Christian churches in America, for example, even though we're the 'conservative' and closed ones.
donutaud15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Will add your own intention to my prayers :sadnod: I'm doing uni work today but will be here and on Facebook on and off if a small chat would help. Afraid I can't chat for too long though coz I'm seriously behind :sad:
I'll be ok dw. Just a few issues with health. I'll tell you about it on fb at some point (too sensitive to put on here) hope you're ok and good luck with uni work

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by kate1902)
:hi:

Glad you found us

(Original post by donutaud15)
I'll be ok dw. Just a few issues with health. I'll tell you about it on fb at some point (too sensitive to put on here) hope you're ok and good luck with uni work

Posted from TSR Mobile
Sure no worries, just drop me a line whenever it feels right and I'll respond when I can. Thanks hun :hugs:
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago
(Original post by Racoon)
I have someone in my family (married in) who is Catholic therefore I am intrigued by some of the rituals or differences to my faith and I would like to know where they come from and why he follows them (for want of a better word).

Thank you very much for the reply. Yes I do ask friends to pray when I have a special need for prayer but I take it from the verse in Matthew 22 which says

19"Again I say to you, that if two of you agree on earth about anything that they may ask, it shall be done for them by My Father who is in heaven. 20"For where two or three have gathered together in My name, I am there in their midst."

And also in John 14 - 13"Whatever you ask in My name, that will I do, so that the Father may be glorified in the Son. 14"If you ask Me anything in My name, I will do it.

So agreeing with friends on earth and asking in Jesus name alone.

I apologise in advance and don't want to upset anyone on here with my questions but isn't focusing when praying on someone else, and not to Jesus alone, glorifying them above Jesus, to whom the bible says the glory goes to?

But of course if you follow other books, and not the bible alone, then I see you can follow a different trail on things. Although as the bible says that all Scripture is God-Breathed, adequate alone for us and inspired by God so therefore nothing else is needed.

…15and that from childhood you have known the sacred writings which are able to give you the wisdom that leads to salvation through faith which is in Christ Jesus. 16All Scripture is inspired by God and profitable for teaching, for reproof, for correction, for training in righteousness; 17so that the man of God may be adequate, equipped for every good work

I think the bible both in the OT and NT says we are all saints if we have Christ in our lives - 1 Cor “To the church of God which is at Corinth, to those who are sanctified in Christ Jesus, called to be saints, with all who in every place call on the name of Jesus Christ our Lord, both theirs and ours:

Paul named the believers saints in nearly every church

Ps 16:3 As for the saints who are on the earth, “They are the excellent ones, in whom is all my delight.”

Phil. 4:21-22: “Greet every saint in Christ Jesus. The brethren who are with me greet you. All the saints greet you

(lol NF was in reference to something TLG said above - it needs no reply)
As I said, further discussion needs to go to the other thread.
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 4 years ago

I agree with you to some extent. I feel like us Catholics are always portrayed as this really closed and conservative religion, which actually bothers me. Yes, it is true that we are conservative regarding certain matters, but having grown up in a mostly Catholic country (Portugal) has never made me see our religion in that light. I know that there are groups for catholic gay people, and for Catholic divorced people too. The Church does not shun them despite its conservative stance in these matters. I don't see that in many Christian churches in America, for example, even though we're the 'conservative' and closed ones.
This is so true.

The actual teachings of the Church are so beautiful, and so misunderstood by the rest of the world :sad:
I think the best thing that Pope Francis is doing is sharing that truth and beauty in a way that people can understand and will actually listen to.

... Even if it does end up with people thinking that he's completely changing the church and the things it teaches :rolleyes:
The Epicurean
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I don't think anyone in this thread mind you butting in as it is generally a welcoming thread That said, I'm technically not a member of this thread as I'm an ex-Catholic >_<

But yeah, Catholicism is such a vast religion and thus you can find a whole spectrum of Catholics. As you stated, at one end of the spectrum there are many gay Catholic people and groups dedicated to them within the Catholic Church and at the other end you have people like St Padre Pio within the more conservative spectrum. I know St Padre Pio used to be really strict when it came to modesty where he refused to hear the confessions of any woman who wore trousers or didn't wear a skirt that hung 8inches below their knees. But obviously not all within the Church are that conservative despite what many non-Catholics seem to think
peony flowers
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Ooh which St Teresa? There are so many :eek: I lose track :o:

Btw, not at all silly to want to connect with a particular saint :nah: I only pray for the intercession of a few saints, for example. Am particularly fond of St Therese of Lisieux
I love the tradition of asking for a flower from St Therese! It's St Teresa of Avila for me though.

Firstly, for saying that you can find God even in the pots and pans you have to wash up, because that always makes me laugh, and secondly for 'the world is thy ship and not thy home'. I just think it's such a powerful image, peaceful and awe inspiring at the same time.

Praying for Donutaud15 and her friend this evening xx
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by peony flowers)
I love the tradition of asking for a flower from St Therese! It's St Teresa of Avila for me though.

Firstly, for saying that you can find God even in the pots and pans you have to wash up, because that always makes me laugh, and secondly for 'the world is thy ship and not thy home'. I just think it's such a powerful image, peaceful and awe inspiring at the same time.

I'm a big St Teresa of Avila fan too! :five: Never heard those quotes before though, so thank you for sharing! She was indeed a very wise woman :yep:
kate1902
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
This is so true.

The actual teachings of the Church are so beautiful, and so misunderstood by the rest of the world :sad:
I think the best thing that Pope Francis is doing is sharing that truth and beauty in a way that people can understand and will actually listen to.

... Even if it does end up with people thinking that he's completely changing the church and the things it teaches :rolleyes:

YES I agree so much
donutaud15
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Thank you x

Posted from TSR Mobile
Matthew_Lowson
Badges: 17
Report 4 years ago
Hi everyone, hope people are well! Can you all keep a family friend who is a Priest from Hallam Diocese who is not well at the moment in your prayers please! Cheers, God Bless, Matthew!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
(Original post by Matthew_Lowson)
Hi everyone, hope people are well! Can you all keep a family friend who is a Priest from Hallam Diocese who is not well at the moment in your prayers please! Cheers, God Bless, Matthew!
Of course - thanks for bringing it to our attention :yes:
peony flowers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
I'm a big St Teresa of Avila fan too! :five: Never heard those quotes before though, so thank you for sharing! She was indeed a very wise woman :yep:

I am sooooo glad it's Friday tomorrow. Hoping for a peaceful weekend.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

I am sooooo glad it's Friday tomorrow. Hoping for a peaceful weekend.
Fridays are def good for the soul :yep: I also hope you'll have a peaceful weekend!

I, on the other hand, have to go to my BFF's birthday party on the Saturday. Should be OK but seeing some people I haven't seen in about 7 years, which is a bit nervewracking :eek:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a heads up that Traidcraft has quite a nice selection of religious Christmas cards, like these ones that came in the post for me today!

http://www.traidcraftshop.co.uk/p-13...line-shop.aspx

Not too expensive either and the money goes to a good cause
peony flowers
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Fridays are def good for the soul :yep: I also hope you'll have a peaceful weekend!

I, on the other hand, have to go to my BFF's birthday party on the Saturday. Should be OK but seeing some people I haven't seen in about 7 years, which is a bit nervewracking :eek:
Woohoo, the weekend is here, at long last :dance:

Eeek, I'd be nervous too. I'm sure it'll be grand though, the ones you dread are sometimes the best parties!

Traidcraft has some lovely Nativity scenes too. I quite like the trend for very plain ones carved in olive wood.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago

Eeek, I'd be nervous too. I'm sure it'll be grand though, the ones you dread are sometimes the best parties!

Traidcraft has some lovely Nativity scenes too. I quite like the trend for very plain ones carved in olive wood.
Olive wood ones are lovely! Reminds me of my visit to Bethlehem earlier this year (went just before the start of holy week, for a week, arriving back in the UK in time for Good Friday service!). I hadn't looked at the Nativity scenes on Traidcraft - just the cards. Maybe I should invest in one! :beard:
User1333171
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 4 years ago
Just a heads up that Traidcraft has quite a nice selection of religious Christmas cards, like these ones that came in the post for me today!

http://www.traidcraftshop.co.uk/p-13...line-shop.aspx

Not too expensive either and the money goes to a good cause
Thanks for the heads up on the cards! I love finding traditional ones-my only problem is I seem to collect them all because I don't like any to pass me by, and I have more cards than friends to send them to.

I always look at their Nativity scenes-I love the olive wood ones (I also love the olive wood hand held crosses, I don't think they sell them on Traidcraft any more, but you can find them other places) but because I don't have a lot of room to put a scene I'm really tempted by the tiny ones (the ceramic one in a box, and the Terracotta pot one).
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1618)
79.12%
Leave (427)
20.88%

Watched Threads