Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Does anyone have any advice about how I could soften my dad's views towards homosexuality? He gets furious and hateful whenever I mention the subject. When I move out to university, I would like to come out to him, but at the moment that is nowhere near possible. His main argument is that being gay is totally evil and opposed to God. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AspiringMedic8)
    Does anyone have any advice about how I could soften my dad's views towards homosexuality? He gets furious and hateful whenever I mention the subject. When I move out to university, I would like to come out to him, but at the moment that is nowhere near possible. His main argument is that being gay is totally evil and opposed to God. Advice would be greatly appreciated!

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Can you read the catechism and go "oh hey dad, look at this interesting passage all about how being gay is totally natural and just an extra burden to deal with. Nothing sinful about it unless it's acted upon"

There are also some excellent blog posts around by celibate homosexual Catholics that I could try and find if you'd like?

ReputationRep:
    Evening all, just stumbled into this thread.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JoeL1994)
    Evening all, just stumbled into this thread.
    Hello

ReputationRep:
    Hey there Very nice to see a thread for Catholics that's not about a Q&A for non-Catholics to question the Catechism :P

ReputationRep:
    Hey there Very nice to see a thread for Catholics that's not about a Q&A for non-Catholics to question the Catechism :P
    I know :mmm:
    And when people come in here for that we nicely send them off to the ask about Christianity thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    I know :mmm:
    And when people come in here for that we nicely send them off to the ask about Christianity thread
    There's a time and a place for proselytising I assume us lapsed Catholics are welcome in this thread too?

ReputationRep:
    There's a time and a place for proselytising I assume us lapsed Catholics are welcome in this thread too?
    The more the merrier.
    If we're nice enough to you you might come back

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    The more the merrier.
    If we're nice enough to you you might come back
    I haven't drifted too far, I just place more emphasis on my personal relationship with God as opposed to attending Mass. I more or less agree and follow canon law and all parts of modern Catholicism.

ReputationRep:
    I haven't drifted too far, I just place more emphasis on my personal relationship with God as opposed to attending Mass. I more or less agree and follow canon law and all parts of modern Catholicism.
    Ah, we'll get you back nice and easily then.
    (Okay, I'll stop making jokes about that now, it's only ever funny the first couple of times)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Ah, we'll get you back nice and easily then.
    (Okay, I'll stop making jokes about that now, it's only ever funny the first couple of times)
    Haha my Mum still makes enough jokes about it so I'm well used to it

ReputationRep:
    Haha my Mum still makes enough jokes about it so I'm well used to it
    :mmm: suggest she prays to St. Monica.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    :mmm: suggest she prays to St. Monica.
    I did tell her she could always pray to St Anthony to help me be 'found' again :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Gotta admit guys I'm not thrilled with the Pope's comments about punching people. What do you all make of it?

ReputationRep:
    I did tell her she could always pray to St Anthony to help me be 'found' again :rolleyes:
    He is big on finding the lost souls :yep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    He is big on finding the lost souls :yep:
    My souls not lost, merely off on a tangent

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PinkMobilePhone)
    Gotta admit guys I'm not thrilled with the Pope's comments about punching people. What do you all make of it?
    I completely understand the sentiment, but it's another case of him speaking without necessarily quite thinking it through. He wasn't advocating violence, as can be seen from the context and the other things he said.

ReputationRep:
    My souls not lost, merely off on a tangent
    Just temporarily misplaced?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    Just temporarily misplaced?
    Temporarily for the last 5 1/2 years yes :P

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Aula)
    x
    I haven't seen Frozen yet, but I keep seeing people with Frozen pics like your avatar. Should I finally watch it? :dontknow:

Poll
Are you chained to your phone?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.