TSR Catholic Society Watch

Pride
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Anyone care to share their thoughts on the Pope's video here?

The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pride)

Hadn't seen it til you posted it but I think it's great
barnetlad
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)
I was aware that the Pope was going to do this, and in the month that includes the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity it reminds us that more unites people of faith than divides us. Living in an area where 1 in 7 people consider themselves to be Jewish, perhaps I am more aware of this than some other people.
Scrappy-coco
Badges: 3
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pride)

That was brilliant. Thanks for sharing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by barnetlad)
I was aware that the Pope was going to do this, and in the month that includes the Week of Prayer for Christian Unity it reminds us that more unites people of faith than divides us. Living in an area where 1 in 7 people consider themselves to be Jewish, perhaps I am more aware of this than some other people.
(Original post by Scrappy-coco)
That was brilliant. Thanks for sharing!!

Posted from TSR Mobile
Ok. I totally disagree. I think the video is really bad. It contradicts the bible very specifically.

Watch the entire video again for the full context, but let me write down the exact quotes from 0:29

'Many think differently, feel differently,
seeking God or meeting God in different ways.
In this crowd, in this range of religions, [cuts to a shot of the pope and what looks like a Rabbi kneeling to kiss something, possibly to signify that they worship the same God]
there is only one certainty we have for all:
we are all children of God.'

Now, that last line is the biggest error in this video. This is simply untrue. John 1:12 says 'Yet to all who did receive him [referring to the Word, Jesus], to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.'

The pope obviously knows this basic Christian theology. How does he make a mistake like that? It seems he is seeking to promote this new age belief that all paths lead to the same God. According to the bible, there's only one God, and the only way to him is Jesus. The other paths lead to destruction. That is what Jesus taught. Why not make that clear?
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 3 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
Ok. I totally disagree. I think the video is really bad. It contradicts the bible very specifically.

Watch the entire video again for the full context, but let me write down the exact quotes from 0:29

'Many think differently, feel differently,
seeking God or meeting God in different ways.
In this crowd, in this range of religions, [cuts to a shot of the pope and what looks like a Rabbi kneeling to kiss something, possibly to signify that they worship the same God]
there is only one certainty we have for all:
we are all children of God.'

Now, that last line is the biggest error in this video. This is simply untrue. John 1:12 says 'Yet to all who did receive him [referring to the Word, Jesus], to those who believed in his name, he gave the right to become children of God.'

The pope obviously knows this basic Christian theology. How does he make a mistake like that? It seems he is seeking to promote this new age belief that all paths lead to the same God. According to the bible, there's only one God, and the only way to him is Jesus. The other paths lead to destruction. That is what Jesus taught. Why not make that clear?
Nothing he has said in this video goes against the teaching of the Catholic Church. If you check out the catechism, particularly 841-3 you'll see this.

From 843: "...the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as 'a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life'"

This is not to say that their beliefs are correct, merely that we should use our commonality as a good starting point for dialogue. All religions contain some of the truth, but none except the Catholic Church contain the whole truth.

Can I ask, are you Catholic yourself? Because it kinda seems like you pasted this video just so you could have a go at it. If you are not, then please take any further discussion on this to the ask about Christianity thread. This thread is a place for Catholics to gather and chat, not a place for outsiders to come in and have a go at us about our beliefs.
donutaud15
Badges: 22
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Just need prayers. A friend of 17 years posted nasty, anti Catholic stuff on Facebook. She joined a Christian group who is intent on being anti-Catholic. I called her up on her mean attitude. She started saying really insane conspiracy theory about bible meanings and also got personal. She won't let it go so I told her I can't be friends with someone who is trying to indoctrinate me. This has been long time coming to be honest and I'm really upset about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by donutaud15)
Just need prayers. A friend of 17 years posted nasty, anti Catholic stuff on Facebook. She joined a Christian group who is intent on being anti-Catholic. I called her up on her mean attitude. She started saying really insane conspiracy theory about bible meanings and also got personal. She won't let it go so I told her I can't be friends with someone who is trying to indoctrinate me. This has been long time coming to be honest and I'm really upset about it.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Huge hugs. I've had so-called "friends" do that to me too. Praying for you and that this person stops going around being so inflammatory

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aula
Rep:
?
(Original post by donutaud15)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Massive :hugs:
It's very sad when this happens, but I think you're definitely right to let her go. Praying for her is probably the best thing you can do.
Pride
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Nothing he has said in this video goes against the teaching of the Catholic Church. If you check out the catechism, particularly 841-3 you'll see this.

From 843: "...the Church considers all goodness and truth found in these religions as 'a preparation for the Gospel and given by him who enlightens all men that they may at length have life'"

This is not to say that their beliefs are correct, merely that we should use our commonality as a good starting point for dialogue. All religions contain some of the truth, but none except the Catholic Church contain the whole truth.

Can I ask, are you Catholic yourself? Because it kinda seems like you pasted this video just so you could have a go at it. If you are not, then please take any further discussion on this to the ask about Christianity thread. This thread is a place for Catholics to gather and chat, not a place for outsiders to come in and have a go at us about our beliefs.
Ok, I will go to the Ask about Christianity thread. I didn't realise you had to be Catholic to post on this thread. I see how it would be better to go there with my questions. However, your reply is quite hurtful to me, so I wanted to reply to you.

I'm not a Catholic. I don't want to come across as though I came here to troll the Catholic thread. I just came here to ask because I thought followers of the pope would be able to explain how this is acceptable. I thought, perhaps I misunderstand. Let me ask some Catholics.

I quoted the bible. Nobody approached the quote. Nobody approached my point (you deflected my point by replying with something unrelated). Now I understand that Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is the only religion that holds the whole truth, and they seek to connect with people of other religions. But why lie in the process of doing that? Why say that we are all 'children of God'? Or are we saying that the pope was not lying when he said that? These are the questions I'm asking, I'll take them to the Ask about Christianity thread.

Again, I don't want to come across as some sort of anti-Catholic person. I'm just asking questions to people who I assume have an answer. Questioning the beliefs of a Catholic is not anti-Catholic, nor is it having a go at them - please don't dismiss my ideas by labelling me so unjustly.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Pride)
Ok, I will go to the Ask a Catholic thread. I didn't realise you had to be Catholic to post on this thread.
You either have to be Catholic and be respectful towards the point/nature and ethos of this group, OR be non-Catholic but equally sympathetic and respectuful towards the point/nature and ethos of this group :yep:

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aula
Rep:
?
(Original post by Pride)
Ok, I will go to the Ask about Christianity thread. I didn't realise you had to be Catholic to post on this thread. I see how it would be better to go there with my questions. However, your reply is quite hurtful to me, so I wanted to reply to you.

I'm not a Catholic. I don't want to come across as though I came here to troll the Catholic thread. I just came here to ask because I thought followers of the pope would be able to explain how this is acceptable. I thought, perhaps I misunderstand. Let me ask some Catholics.

I quoted the bible. Nobody approached the quote. Nobody approached my point (you deflected my point by replying with something unrelated). Now I understand that Catholics believe that the Catholic Church is the only religion that holds the whole truth, and they seek to connect with people of other religions. But why lie in the process of doing that? Why say that we are all 'children of God'? Or are we saying that the pope was not lying when he said that? These are the questions I'm asking, I'll take them to the Ask about Christianity thread.

Again, I don't want to come across as some sort of anti-Catholic person. I'm just asking questions to people who I assume have an answer. Questioning the beliefs of a Catholic is not anti-Catholic, nor is it having a go at them - please don't dismiss my ideas by labelling me so unjustly.
And yet, surely you must see how posting a video, having all "that was great" responses and the replying with "I totally disagree" makes it appear as I stated. If I was wrong, then I apologise for any offence caused, but I'm very used to people coming into this thread for exactly that purpose.

I don't know the Bible well enough to be able to defend or argue with your point, particularly when you use one verse with no context - always dangerous. However, my response was that nothing he said is out of sync with the teaching of the Catholic Church. It was not unrelated at all, and is the main point of importance for this thread. As stated, this thread is not the place for debate. I see though, that you have posted in AAC, which most people don't bother to do!

I'll have another look/think tomorrow, but I'm not quite sure why I'm awake right now... :erm:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Less than a month til Lent! :eek:

I've ordered a spiritual guide booklet to guide me through the forty day period

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Less than a month til Lent! :eek:

I've ordered a spiritual guide booklet to guide me through the forty day period

Posted from TSR Mobile
My church usually has one, and also I have found some interesting reading and a Lent Calendar from CAFOD.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My church usually has one, and also I have found some interesting reading and a Lent Calendar from CAFOD.
Oooh a Lent calendar? What does that consist of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
barnetlad
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
Oooh a Lent calendar? What does that consist of?

Posted from TSR Mobile
If CAFOD do a Lent Calendar this year, it is like their Advent Calendars. Each day it reflects upon one of the readings of the mass for that day, and will usually then relate it to a CAFOD project in a developing country and explain how an individual is benefitting.

It is a virtual calendar, so I open a window each day on my phone. Chocolate each day as in the more common advent calendar would not seem right in Lent.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
If CAFOD do a Lent Calendar this year, it is like their Advent Calendars. Each day it reflects upon one of the readings of the mass for that day, and will usually then relate it to a CAFOD project in a developing country and explain how an individual is benefitting.

It is a virtual calendar, so I open a window each day on my phone. Chocolate each day as in the more common advent calendar would not seem right in Lent.
Ah OK. I think I had a Christian Aid Lent app on my phone one year, but not a CAFOD one. I might look into this - thanks Chocolate each day would def not be appropriate for Lent (as much as I love chocolate!)
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
My Lenten spiritual guidebook arrived today. I don't want to look through it properly because I feel that might spoil the journey once Lent starts, but the contents page states that it features the writings of Hildegard of Bingen, Julian of Norwich, Meister Eckhart, Francis de Sales, Thomas a Kempis, Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Avila and John Chrysostom.

I've only vaguely heard the name Meister Eckhart before - might have to go to Wikipedia to look him up
Aula
Rep:
?
My Lenten spiritual guidebook arrived today. I don't want to look through it properly because I feel that might spoil the journey once Lent starts, but the contents page states that it features the writings of Hildegard of Bingen, Julian of Norwich, Meister Eckhart, Francis de Sales, Thomas a Kempis, Francis of Assisi, Teresa of Avila and John Chrysostom.

I've only vaguely heard the name Meister Eckhart before - might have to go to Wikipedia to look him up
You'll like meister eckhart :yep:

This book sounds amazing!
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 3 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
You'll like meister eckhart :yep:

This book sounds amazing!
I hope it is amazing - need something to both help me through, but also challenge me, throughout Lent this year. It's always a very difficult and problematic time for me, but I am hopeful that this year something positive can come out of it, even if it isn't a good/healthy/holy period for me
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Are you chained to your phone?

Yes (78)
19.45%
Yes, but I'm trying to cut back (163)
40.65%
Nope, not that interesting (160)
39.9%

Watched Threads