TSR Catholic Society Watch

Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 21
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by louissmith501)
I find that funny since I align with Orthodoxy and I actually like the current bisop of Rome, i like the fact that he has had dialogue with the orthodox church, I'm hoping this will pave the way for our reunification after nearly 1000 years of division, one can pray.
I hope not.
louissmith501
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Snufkin)
I hope not.
I don't see why not, we were one church for 1000 years and this divide will only weaken us, Christ established one church, not two.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I don't see why not, we were one church for 1000 years and this divide will only weaken us, Christ established one church, not two.
The Catholic Church needs to become more open and accepting of women and gay people. That won't happen if the Catholic and Orthodox churches merge. I would also point out that there are many Orthodox churches, two of which pre-date the schism that created the Catholic Church. Which one are you referring to?
louissmith501
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
The Catholic Church needs to become more open and accepting of women and gay people. That won't happen if the Catholic and Orthodox churches merge. I would also point out that there are many Orthodox churches, two of which pre-date the schism that created the Catholic Church. Which one are you referring to?
There is only one orthodox church, there are greek, russian, bulgarian etc churches but these are all orthodox churches with the same theology and are in communion with each other. This is the same for catholicism, which has 24 churches (1 western and 23 eastern) that accept the pope as the head and are in communion with each other.

There is another church, the coptic orthodox church, that is seperate officially to the orthodox church, but unofficially is a member (this is due to there only being a very slight theological difference between the two, which is just a manner of literal semantics regarding christology), both recognise the sacrements of the other as legitimate, meaning one can partake in the other without issue.

The orthodox I refer to is is the Eastern orthodox church, to be very specific.

Secondly is the point you raised regarding gay people and women which the church "needs" to adress, presonally i would rather see a united church adress thr issue than one divided and further wedge the two apart. I myseld would like to know why a reunified faith will somehow prevent the inclusion of gays an women.
Snufkin
  • TSR Support Team
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
There is only one orthodox church, there are greek, russian, bulgarian etc churches but these are all orthodox churches with the same theology and are in communion with each other. This is the same for catholicism, which has 24 churches (1 western and 23 eastern) that accept the pope as the head and are in communion with each other.

There is another church, the coptic orthodox church, that is seperate officially to the orthodox church, but unofficially is a member (this is due to there only being a very slight theological difference between the two, which is just a manner of literal semantics regarding christology), both recognise the sacrements of the other as legitimate, meaning one can partake in the other without issue.

Secondly is the point you raised regarding gay people and women which the church "needs" to adress, presonally i would rather see a united church adress thr issue than one divided and further wedge the two apart. I myseld would like to know why a reunified faith will somehow prevent the inclusion of gays an women.
There is not only one Orthodox church. Not all Orthodox churches are in communion with the Latin Catholic Church. As far as I know none of the Oriental Orthodox churches, nor the Assyrian Church of the East are in communion with the Catholic Church.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

There is not only one Orthodox church. Not all Orthodox churches are in communion with the Latin Catholic Church. As far as I know none of the Oriental Orthodox churches, nor the Assyrian Church of the East are in communion with the Catholic Church.
Fascinating as this all is, peeps, this is not the right thread for discussing the Orthodox church and whether we should/should not all reunite :nah:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Just finished writing a blog piece for the Student Christian Movement, about what Theresa May could learn from her namesake saint, St Teresa of Avila! :awesome: :cool: :banana:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
One of these nights during which I feel acutely forsaken by God

Posted from TSR Mobile
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
(Original post by The_Lonely_Goatherd)

Posted from TSR Mobile
Massive hugs.

Praying to St Dymphna for you

And remember, even Jesus felt forsaken - " my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - so you're not in bad company :wink2:
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Massive hugs.

Praying to St Dymphna for you

And remember, even Jesus felt forsaken - " my God, my God, why have you forsaken me?" - so you're not in bad company :wink2:
Haha, true

Thanks hun :lovehug:

Posted from TSR Mobile
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Ooops forgot to say: wishing everyone here a blessed feast of Our Lady's assumption into Heaven
Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 2 years ago
Ooops forgot to say: wishing everyone here a blessed feast of Our Lady's assumption into Heaven
Which was celebrated yesterday under the new rite :wink2:

Has anyone here done a 33 day consecration to Mary?
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Aula)
Which was celebrated yesterday under the new rite :wink2:

Has anyone here done a 33 day consecration to Mary?
:getmecoat:

Is that the Louis de Montfort one? If so, I've heard of it but not done it myself (yet. Never say never!) :nah:
Supersaps
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago

Posted from TSR Mobile
Have you considered that you have abandoned God by forsaking the teachings of Christ & his Church?

It's don't doubt the authenticity of the Dark of Night of the Soul and the despair which you feel.

You seem to hold some pretty questionable views. I don't doubt you have your reasons. But it seems strange that you think you're a Catholic when you seem to disagree with so much of what Catholics believe.

Perhaps you'd be happier in a Protestant denomination where you can believe what you like?

SS
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
(Original post by Supersaps)
Have you considered that you have abandoned God by forsaking the teachings of Christ & his Church?

You seem to hold some pretty questionable views. I don't doubt you have your reasons. But it seems strange that you think you're a Catholic when you seem to disagree with so much of what Catholics believe.

Perhaps you'd be happier in a Protestant denomination where you can believe what you like?

SS
I definitely wouldn't be happier or more comfortable in a Protestant denomination :nah: Thanks for the concern though on that front though - tiz a valid thing to ask :yes:
Supersaps
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I definitely wouldn't be happier or more comfortable in a Protestant denomination :nah: Thanks for the concern though on that front though - tiz a valid thing to ask :yes:
Why not? You believe what Protestants believe.

Why stay in a Church where you profoundly disagree with what it teaches? Do you think you can change it?

I don't mean to come off as an arse but I feel this is a genuine question to ask.
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
Why not? You believe what Protestants believe.

Why stay in a Church where you profoundly disagree with what it teaches? Do you think you can change it?

I don't mean to come off as an arse but I feel this is a genuine question to ask.
What makes you think I believe what Protestants believe? :lol: Or that the disagreement is "profound"? High Anglican, maybe but that's about as Protestant as I could ever get, and even then I'd be highly dissatisfied and feel like I'm in a wrong and dare I say false denomination. I am less ecumenical than appearances may indicate

I don't think I can change the Church, nor do I necessarily/automatically think the Church ought to change on every single thing I disagree with. I am quite happy to accept with some issues, that it is my failing, not the Church's, that I cannot believe at present, e.g. I find transubstantiation mindboggling. Same with the assumption, actually!
Supersaps
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
What makes you think I believe what Protestants believe? :lol: Or that the disagreement is "profound"? High Anglican, maybe but that's about as Protestant as I could ever get, and even then I'd be highly dissatisfied and feel like I'm in a wrong and dare I say false denomination. I am less ecumenical than appearances may indicate

I don't think I can change the Church, nor do I necessarily/automatically think the Church ought to change on every single thing I disagree with. I am quite happy to accept with some issues, that it is my failing, not the Church's, that I cannot believe at present, e.g. I find transubstantiation mindboggling. Same with the assumption, actually!

I'll PM you and I promise I'll be friendlier. ^^
The_Lonely_Goatherd
  • PS Reviewer
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'll PM you and I promise I'll be friendlier. ^^
I'd rather you don't PM me tbh. I'd rather keep the conversation in the open where people can read what you say to me, and vice versa :yep:

I'm sorry if my feeling forsaken offends you somehow though. I'm severely mentally ill and was having a very bad night...
Supersaps
Rep:
?
Report 2 years ago
I'd rather you don't PM me tbh. I'd rather keep the conversation in the open where people can read what you say to me, and vice versa :yep:

I'm sorry if my feeling forsaken offends you somehow though. I'm severely mentally ill and was having a very bad night...
Well, I didn't want to call you out publicly.

Clearly you don't believe what the Church teaches. There are many things we don't understand but there are many things we choose to accept because we believe the Church is from Jesus Christ.

As for the Eucharist, 'This is a hard teaching. Who can accept it?' rings true but our response can only be that of Simon Peter 'Lord, to whom shall we go? You have the words of eternal life.'

Prayers for you and your health.

SS
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (520)
80.62%
Leave (125)
19.38%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise