Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

Talking of interpretation...what do youse think of these interpretations of Biblical prophesy which demonises the Catholic Church to outrageous extremes?

Pope John Paul II will be miraculously brought back to life (by Satan no less) and his body will be used as the wolf's 'sheep's clothing' to deceive the world!

http://www.worldslastchance.com/inde..._last_pope.php

"The website is 'a ministry' set up by a small team of volunteers."

I found it in advertising space on the Irish Examiner newspaper site - faith in action in Holy Ireland, no less!:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Pope John Paul II will be miraculously brought back to life (by Satan no less)
    Oh please...

(Original post by Napoleon)
    Oh please...
    Indeed...

ReputationRep:
    Well I suppose some people still haven't got over the Reformation yet!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ossie1701)
    Oh come off it - was that sarcasm?
    Yewah... it sounded bette rin my head it reads wrong anyway, it wont happen, the "Arabs" would get caught up in the Balkans if they ever even stopped the in fighting and joined forces.

ReputationRep:
    omg i looked at that st malarchy article and am well scared. all over the web, many Catholics belive our Pope is the 2nd from last one.

HURRAH JESUS IS COMING!!

ReputationRep:
    omg i looked at that st malarchy article and am well scared. all over the web, many Catholics belive our Pope is the 2nd from last one.

HURRAH JESUS IS COMING!!
    :eek:

Please tell me your accessing this forum via a psychiatric hospital....:p:

ReputationRep:
    :ditto:

I don't really see the world coming to an end as a good thing...

ReputationRep:
    I was just reading through the Irish Post and found a rather nice prayer to Our Lady, thought it's a nice change to the Hail Mary.

O Most beautiful flower of Mount Carmel, fruitful vine in the splendour of Heaven,
    Blessed Mother of the Son of God, Immaculate Virgin assist me in this my necessity.
    O Star of the Sea help me and show me herein you ar my Mother.
    O Holy Mary, Mother of God, Queen of Heaven and Earth, I humbly beseech you from the bottom of my heart to succour me in this necessity.
    {Request} There are none that can withstand your power.
    O show me my Mother. O show me you are my Mother.
    O Mary conceived without sin, pray for us who have recourse to thee.
    Sweet Mother, I place this cause in your hands.
    Say it for three consecutive days.

I don't know what others think, but I myself like it.

ReputationRep:
    Just out of interest, why is this society called the "Roman Catholic Society" it implies that Latin-rite Catholics are somehow separated from other Catholics, all of whom are in one Church.

The term "Roman Catholic" is never used by the Catholic Church to describe itself, it was actually a Protestant label.

Just out of interest, why is this society called the "Roman Catholic Society" it implies that Latin-rite Catholics are somehow separated from other Catholics, all of whom are in one Church.

The term "Roman Catholic" is never used by the Catholic Church to describe itself, it was actually a Protestant label.
    It was implemented and titled by shinytoy, who at the time was about to be received into the Catholic Church.

Most converts tend to come from other non-Catholic Christian Churches and are conditioned to seeing our Church referred to as 'Roman' Catholic - a throw back to the Reformation - since other countries in the world do not use the term.

I must admit, the name irks me too since, as you rightly point out, the Catholic Church never describes itself as anything other than the 'Catholic' Church.

I don't know whether forum rules allows an amendment of the society name. You could make enquiries and get it rectified.

ReputationRep:
    Another good thing I saw from the Irish Post today.

The Pope is taking steps to revive the ancient tradition of the Tridentine Latin Mass in Catholic churches worldwide, according to sources in Rome.
    Pope Benedict XVI is understood to have signed a universal indult - or permission - for priests to celebrate the Mass that was used throughout the Church for nearly 1,500 years.
    The indult could be published in the next few weeks, sources said.
    Use of the Tridentine Mass, parts of which date from the time of St Gregory in the sixth century and which takes its name from the 16th century Council of Trent, was restricted by most bishops after the reforms of the Second Vatican Council.
    This le to the introduction of the new Mass in the vernacular.
    Thoughts on that?

(Original post by deej)
    Another good thing I saw from the Irish Post today.

Thoughts on that?
    We have several churches in Kent that frequently use the Tridentine Rite of Latin Mass.

An expansion would be welcome, especially since the Missals have the Latin one side and the vernacular on the other.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    We have several churches in Kent that frequently use the Tridentine Rite of Latin Mass.

An expansion would be welcome, especially since the Missals have the Latin one side and the vernacular on the other.
    Mine isn't like that, mine has the Latin Mass at the back, but it would be nice to have one Mass a month or so in Latin, just to ease people back into it.

ReputationRep:
    Thoughts on that?
    Our "High Mass" is in English, however the key prayers, are all in Latin, such as;

Kyrie,
    Gloria,
    Credo,
    Sanctus and Benedictus,
    Agnus Dei.

Which I think is a very good balance!

But there are already many masses in England and Wales said in Latin,

http://www.latin-mass-society.org/

ReputationRep:
    Our "High Mass" is in English, however the key prayers, are all in Latin, such as;

Kyrie,
    Gloria,
    Credo,
    Sanctus and Benedictus,
    Agnus Dei.

Which I think is a very good balance!

But there are already many masses in England and Wales said in Latin,

http://www.latin-mass-society.org/
    Yeah, it is, maybe a gradual re-introduction of the Latin Mass would be good.

The picture on the home page of that site is the Grotto at Lourdes

ReputationRep:
    The picture on the home page of that site is the Grotto at Lourdes
    Well done! lol

You know your pilgrimages well!

ReputationRep:
    Me likes Latin/

ReputationRep:
    Well done! lol

You know your pilgrimages well!
    Of course I do :ninja:

*hides Lourdes 2006 uniform*

ReputationRep:
    Just a question for people on here...how strong (and be honest!) do people perceive their faith to be? Do you believe everything you've been told? Are there times you actively question your beliefs? Do you ever reach the conclusion that, truth be told, you really arn't particulrly sure about things because all things taken into consideration, the religious arguments put before you do not hold up on a logical basis? I'm curious.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.