Turn on thread page Beta

TSR Catholic Society watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Is anybody going to the World Youth Day in Sydney, between 15th and 22nd July?
    Yup, I'm going to be in Sydney going with Leeds diocese. Only 6 days now until we fly Is anyone else going?

(Original post by button16)
    Yup, I'm going to be in Sydney going with Leeds diocese. Only 6 days now until we fly Is anyone else going?
    You lucky thing, you! I have to go to a family wedding in the USA for 12th July so couldn't go to Sydney.

Is it costing an arm and a leg? I know that the Diocese of Southwark contingent have been planning it for many months now in order to give those who wanted to go plenty of time to save for it.

Please come back to this forum and let us know how it went.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    You lucky thing, you! I have to go to a family wedding in the USA for 12th July so couldn't go to Sydney.

Is it costing an arm and a leg? I know that the Diocese of Southwark contingent have been planning it for many months now in order to give those who wanted to go plenty of time to save for it.

Please come back to this forum and let us know how it went.
    Yup will do We started planning about 18 months ago so gave us quite a while to get things ready. Oh you might want to check www.xt3.com out its become like facebook...

Yup will do We started planning about 18 months ago so gave us quite a while to get things ready. Oh you might want to check www.xt3.com out its become like facebook...
    I'll have a look at that link...thanks.

In the meantime: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlncJ970T8

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    I'll have a look at that link...thanks.

In the meantime: http://uk.youtube.com/watch?v=yHlncJ970T8
    Haha I've already heard that song about 5 times and that's before we have even set off...

Haha I've already heard that song about 5 times and that's before we have even set off...
    I would imagine that when you start singing it in a crowd of tens of thousands of young Catholics, it will be an overwhelmingly spiritual experience.

ReputationRep:
    Was at part of Bright lights in Radlett yesterday! Was an awesome experience - and the most awesome mass ever! Led by Bishop John it had this American band, and so the music was really good and because we were in a tent people seemed more willing to express themselves (Raise their hands etc), it was essentially like more evangelical services, except it was catholic mass with the blessed sacrament.
    It was amazingly spiritual!

I was very upset to have to leave during the healing service - the humeral veil was at the front and people could touch it. I would have loved to do so but oh well.
    I loved the experience and as such I think I want to go to RCIA again. Unfortunately I stopped last year due to moving to university.

I felt God's love though - please help me with any encouragement you can!

God bless

ReputationRep:
    can i join? I never knew that this was on here, otherwise i would have joined a long time ago

ReputationRep:
    Unlucky about the rubbish ground you were sleeping on! And the smell of the VIP toilets, from Salford Diocese.

(Original post by fr brown)
    Unlucky about the rubbish ground you were sleeping on! And the smell of the VIP toilets, from Salford Diocese.

Were you in Sydney for the event, fr browne?

ReputationRep:
    Do any of you're church priests preach about the Eucharist?

(Original post by 02mik_e)
    Do any of you're church priests preach about the Eucharist?
    Do you mean; do our priests have homilies about the Eucharist?

Generally, homilies are about the Gospel of that Sunday. If it was Holy Week and Maundy Thursday, the homily would either tend to be about the events leading up to the Crucifixion or maybe about the Eucharist, seeing as it was during The Last Supper that the Sacrament was instituted by Christ.

Lessons by the priest on the Eucharist mainly take place in schools, First Holy Communion preparatory lessons and during RCIA courses. Why do you ask?

(By the way...I used to live at Honor Oak Park )

ReputationRep:
    How'd you lot deal with the fact that god doesn't answer prayers. I mean what's the point if no matter how good a catholic you are he still doesn't do what you ask.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Thud)
    How'd you lot deal with the fact that god doesn't answer prayers. I mean what's the point if no matter how good a catholic you are he still doesn't do what you ask.
    My belief is that God knows best. He may have answered your prayers, but you just may not know it.

(Original post by Thud)
    You lot? You're a Catholic, Thud - albeit lapsed.

Why do you expect God to do what you want Him to do? If you prayed to become a multi-millionaire, would you expect Him to oblige?

Prayer is like a conversation...a two-way process. One talks then one listens...and if one concentrates on God instead of one's wants, the answer will be felt in one's heart.

Whenever I pray to ask for something, I always suffix it with "...if it is Your will."

(Original post by 02mik_e)
    My belief is that God knows best. He may have answered your prayers, but you just may not know it.
    Did you have a specific reason for your question on post # 972?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)
    Did you have a specific reason for your question on post # 972?
    Yeah i did, sorry :o: . I was asking because my Priest was giving a Homily on it and he was saying people come to church and actually don't know what they are coming for, aside from worshipping God, so i was wondering if any of your priest did that. It's quite hard to see what I am trying to get at, so sorry for any confusion.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

Why do you expect God to do what you want Him to do? If you prayed to become a multi-millionaire, would you expect Him to oblige?

Prayer is like a conversation...a two-way process. One talks then one listens...and if one concentrates on God instead of one's wants, the answer will be felt in one's heart.

Whenever I pray to ask for something, I always suffix it with "...if it is Your will."
    :ditto: although i don't say it, in prayer meetings in groups we say it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yawn)

Well let's say the person already does what god wants them to do, why shouldn't he then return the favour?

I'm not talking about me of course because I don't do what he wants, in fact it'd be nice if he took the first step, but I was just wondering in general like with nuns and monks and stuff even.

(Original post by Thud)
    Well let's say the person already does what god wants them to do, why shouldn't he then return the favour?
    Answering prayers is not a question of returning favours, I doubt.

A child can be obedient to its parent and does what is asked of it. A child can ask a parent to accede to a request.

A parent would not necessarily do as they ask because they know that some things are not in the best interests of their child and would do them more harm than good in the long run.

Generally, parents are wiser than the child and can anticipate the outcomes which might be deleterious to the child.

God is certainly wiser than His children...and He knows the outcomes before we do because He is outside of time. :yep:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.