TSR Catholic Society Watch

Aula
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 49 years ago
TSR Catholic Society

The Catholic Church is the world’s largest Christian Church with more than one billion members worldwide. Led by the Pope, currently Francis, it preaches the gospel of Jesus Christ, administers the Seven Sacraments of Christ and practises charity.

The Student Room’s Catholic Society is to provide a voice and gathering place for the Catholic users of TSR.

St. Isidore of Seville, Pray for Us.

Deo Gratias

Please note that this thread is NOT an 'Ask A Catholic Thread', but simply a place for Catholics to congregate. Thank you.
General rule of thumb: Be nice. Due to recent events, I will state that this includes no telling others that they are not 'proper' Catholics. Non Catholics are welcome, as long as they have a genuine interest. Trolls will be reported and removed.

To join the group, please click http://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/group.php?groupid=96 and the 'join soc' link.

And remember, in the wise words of Julian of Norwich:

All shall be well, and all shall be well, and all manner of things shall be well.

January
January

1st - Mary, Mother of God
6th - Epiphany (celebrated in the UK on the Sunday between the 2nd and the 8th)
24th - St Francis de Sales
25th - Conversion of St Paul
28th - St Thomas Aquinas
31st - St John Bosco

Whilst January often feels like a much quieter month, with the excitement of Christmas Day being in the past, it is worth remembering that it is still Christmastide until the Sunday following Epiphany, when we celebrate the feast of the Baptism of our Lord.
Just as in the secular world, people make resolutions at the beginning of a new year, perhaps this month, you too could look at your spiritual life. What do you need to change? What should you stop or start doing? Whilst Lent is still a good way off, it's never too early to make the changes to our spiritual life that He wants us to.
As the world around us talks of new beginnings, this may be a good month to take some time out to just sit and listen. Try and remember that what you want may not be what He wants for you.

Jeremiah 1:5
"Before I formed you in the womb
I knew you;
Before you came to birth
I consecrated you;
I appointed you as prophet to the nations."

January begins with Christmastide, and then becomes ferial (green) following the Sunday after Epiphany.

February
February

2nd - Presentation of The Lord - also known as Candlemas.
5th - St. Agatha
10th - St. Scholastica
11th - Our Lady of Lourdes
14th - SS. Cyril and Methodius
22nd - St. Peter's Chair

A very quiet liturgical month, the main feast to be aware of is the Presentation of The Lord on the 2nd. Also known as Candlemas, this marks 40 days after the birth of our Lord. As it falls on a Sunday this year, you have no excuse for not attending Candlemas Mass. Recommended reading: Luke 2:22-35.
Whilst the rest if the world celebrates secular love on the 14th, the church remembers SS Cyril and Methodius, best known for translating the liturgical texts into the Slavonic language, and possibly inventing the Cyrillic alphabet, after whom it has been named. With all the unrest taking place across the world, this may be a wonderful time to take a few moments to pray, that God's love will ease their suffering and that peace and joy will infiltrate their lives and countries.

My challenge for this month: pick up your Rosary! The presentation of The Lord is one of the joyful mysteries, so why not begin there.

March

1st - St. David
17th - St. Patrick
19th - St. Joseph
25th - The Annunciation

March is generally taken up with the season of Lent, for which see below. It has a few important feasts of its own too, particularly for two of the patron saints of Britain. The Annunciation is also a wonderful feast, being a brief reminder of Christmas in the midsts of our preparation for Lent.

Lent

Shrove Tuesday - 4th March
Ash Wednesday - 5th March
Palm Sunday - 13th April
Maundy Thursday - 16th April
Good Friday - 17th April

Recently I have heard people referring to Lent as Jesus Boot Camp, which is an idea I rather like. Lent is a time of preparation. A time to ready and purify ourselves to join in the celebration at Easter time. The ideals are fasting, prayer and almsgiving. See if you can manage something from each this Lent.

Easter
Easter
Easter Sunday - 20th April
Ascension - transmuted to 1st June
Pentecost - 8th June

November
November

1st - All Saints
2nd - All Souls Day
9th - Dedication of the Lateran Basilica
21st - The Presentation of the Blessed Virgin Mary
30th - St. Andrew

November is a ferial month - ordinary time and therefore has the liturgical colour of green.
November is traditionally a month for remembering those we have lost. As churches often have books of the dead, with those to be prayed for, I felt it would be nice for us to have our own. If you would like anyone added to this list, please quote me and I shall add them. This will remain here until the first Sunday of Advent.

December
December

6th - St. Nicholas
8th - The Immaculate Conception
14th - St. John of the Cross
25th - Christmas Day
26th - St. Stephen
28th - The holy Innocents

The time leading up to Christmas, Advent, is a time for preparation and excitement as we eagerly await the birth of our coming Lord. We should remember to prepare ourselves spiritually, as this is even more important than the material preparation that goes on during this month. If you find yourself more concerned about finding the right present for someone than whether you are ready for your Lord - and we all do it - it might be wise to take some extra time out for prayer. As this month also contains the feast of The Immaculate Conception, this could be a good time to turn to Mary and ask her to pray for you, that you may be able to copy her example and say "Yes!" to whatever The Lord wants from you.

Christmas tide begins with Vespers on the 24th December, and ends on the Sunday after Epiphany. Advent has the liturgical colour of purple. After Christmas this changes to white or gold - a symbol of joy, purity and innocence.
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I'm technically a catholic, but dont believe in god...

Do I qualify?
ChanandlerBong
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I was baptised in the church but have rejected the church's teaching, and am now agnostic.
shinytoy
Badges: 17
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
this society has gone WRONG! :eek:
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Yep count me in. Altar boy, RC primary school, Irishness, do I qualify?
Spiral Architect
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by TomInPortsmouth)
Yep count me in. Altar boy, RC primary school, Irishness, do I qualify?
Drinking Guiness on pub golf doesn't make you Irish.
Fluent in Lies
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Blackadder
Oh, my God - my ear muffs have fallen down.

He moves them up, and tries to stretch them round his ears.

Would you like a pair? It's getting rather cold.

Lady Whiteadder

No thank you - cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics
Stikatoo
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hey up!

Can I join?

What's everyone's problem with Catholics? We rock!
beanbagzzz
Report 13 years ago
I'm catholic, can I join?
Segat1
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by Fluent in Lies)
Blackadder
Oh, my God - my ear muffs have fallen down.

He moves them up, and tries to stretch them round his ears.

Would you like a pair? It's getting rather cold.

Lady Whiteadder

No thank you - cold is God's way of telling us to burn more Catholics
:love:
Enchanté
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
Me plz
DENNIS_MENACE
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
I went out with an Irish Catholic. You can take the girl out of Cork ....
technik
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by shinytoy)
yay! talk about issues of morality, social issues and questions of faith and belief. all Catholics welcome!

much love and God bless xx
so...is it a catholic society or a roman catholic society?
Steve Stifler
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
I thought the Romans were extinct?
Yellowmellow
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
(Original post by technik)
the catholic church IS Roman Catholic. The 'Rome' prefix refers to the Pope ruling the church from the vatican in rome, as well as historically distinguishing catholicism from the eastern orthodox church which broke away from the papal influence a long time ago. Wow I actually impressed myself. Must have learnt something from those RS lessons at my RC convent school Good little catholic girl me
Katy200
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i thought that was ther eason it was Roman catholic because of the pope and all. That i didnt really listen in RE. The teacher was evil. I went to a catolic primary secondry and now college. I should know that really.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
hello

please can we stop the bad-taste jokes about RCs

this thread is for RC catholics, not just any catholics (eg anglicanism; anglocatholicism) as the fundamentals of the religion are different. by all means start up another thread for general catholics

are there any non-irish RCs? im latina
Robob
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
So I can still post here?

And those jokes are quite funny...
Katy200
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
i didnt think there was any difference between catholics and Roman catholicss. realises should have paid more attention at school. as for non irish i dont know. Im an irish catholic, so i dont think ther are that many.
shinytoy
Rep:
?
Report 13 years ago
the word 'catholic' means universal. in the creed in the CofE religion, the church is 'one holy catholic...'.

however the CofE split from RC cos of Henry8th wanting a divorece and the Pope said no.

CofE cannot take communiion in RC church, due to the belief in TRANSUBSTANTIATION not present in the CofE faith
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Do you have a food intolerance or allergy?

Yes - a food intolerance (52)
13.03%
Yes - a food allergy (43)
10.78%
Yes - an autoimmune disorder (i.e coeliac, colitis) (11)
2.76%
Yes - I have an intolerance and allergy (9)
2.26%
No (284)
71.18%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed