Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I've just failed my psychology access exam!
    Memorised everything apart from a few theorists, just got confussed with all of them! I'm really depressed as need to re-take the whole thing again.

Anyone else found them tricky?

ReputationRep:
    I failed my first biology exam in cells and respiration, re took it last week and got a three, just dont ever give up, the access course can be really hard at times but keep going, keep in mind your reasons for doing this course and before you can look round it will be the end of the course, you will have passed and you will be on your way to uni. Never lose hope

ReputationRep:
    The access course i'm doing has no exams. Full of essays and presentations though.

ReputationRep:
    I have just sat my english literature exam and although i felt i knew the book off by heart I went totally blank and wrote complete nonsense. It was so embarrassing when I got it back and read what I had put. I obviously failed and have to take a resit in half term. The questions next time round are going to be completely different and that has totally gotten me freaked out.
    Has anyone got any tips for overcoming my anxiety?
    Also has anyone read animal farm and would they care to discuss it?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChiChi5)
    I have just sat my english literature exam and although i felt i knew the book off by heart I went totally blank and wrote complete nonsense. It was so embarrassing when I got it back and read what I had put. I obviously failed and have to take a resit in half term. The questions next time round are going to be completely different and that has totally gotten me freaked out.
    Has anyone got any tips for overcoming my anxiety?
    Also has anyone read animal farm and would they care to discuss it?
    Exams are a tricky thing, some people are good at them and some just aren't. The main thing to do is not to mention stuff you don't know or are unsure about, but you absolutely must go on about anything you do know. Your tutor probably isn't interested in how well you can memorise the book, but by how well you understand the underlying themes, motives of the characters and how you can connect it all together in to a larger picture. So if your mind goes blank don't panic, just try and recall something that you found interesting and if it's not relevant it'll at least start you off thinking. Just because everyone else seems to be writing loads it doesn't mean they're writing anything good

Thinking a little before writing is a good thing too. Your job is to formulate an opinion of the text and hold on to it for dear life! Remember that in English Literature you can't ever be wrong, you can only have a different opinion. What you want to do is argue your case to try and change the readers mind, preferably backing up any and all of your arguments with reference to the text, explaining what it was that made you think/ feel that way and why (this is easier if your exam is open book, but even if you don't have the book try and make some link to the text, even if you can't be exact to page, chapter or line). Don't second guess yourself and definitely don't start censoring your work, not only will it take valuable time to try and reword it, but whatever you put down first will probably be 'right'.

When writing also don't repeat anything you've already said. For example, in my exam I had to write a detailed commentary of Act 4 Scene iii of "Romeo and Juliet". At one point I described the mood of the scene and what was going on to make me feel that way, I then went on to describe the image clusters used and how they foreshadowed the end of the play. At no time during that did I go back and explain the mood of the scene again, if I had needed to do that then it would mean I hadn't explained myself well enough to begin with or that I had a shaky grasp on my opinion.

There's not really any fast and hard tips I can give you to overcome your anxiety, but basically if you're confident in your opinions and believe what you're saying makes sense then you shouldn't have any problems.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Barbiex)
    I've just failed my psychology access exam!
    Memorised everything apart from a few theorists, just got confussed with all of them! I'm really depressed as need to re-take the whole thing again.

Anyone else found them tricky?

we got told our access psychology one is multiple choice... bargin lol

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.