Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    So Holland or Portugal? Surely not another Portugal quarter final?

ReputationRep:
    JT got the arm band when Beckham went off - a sign of the future? At some point during McClaren's tenure there'll be a new captain presumably but when? The change over could be messy, it would be better if he made his intentions clear as soon as he becomes manager.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    I thought the formation didn't even work to be honest. Ecuador defending made it look good.

Crouch has got to start, he's far more effective, Rooney unfortunately was mostly out of the game from countless crappy long balls.
    Crouch should only ever be an impact sub for England, not plan A

ReputationRep:
    I thought the formation didn't even work to be honest. Ecuador defending made it look good.

Crouch has got to start, he's far more effective, Rooney unfortunately was mostly out of the game from countless crappy long balls.

Rooney had several breathtaking moments.

I think we need to find a way to get Lennon involved. He has looked very exciting when he's come on for England in this WC, and if we hadn't just been protecting the lead at the end, Lennon looked like he could have run through their defence at will.

ReputationRep:
    Were you watching the right game? There were a few long balls but no where near as many as before, and most were once we were in the lead. A lot of Rooney's play came from chasing ball that any other player would have given up on.

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer Holland. I don't think they are as good mentally. They tend to bottle it when the tough gets going, i.e. with penalties etc. But then again I fancy England to get revenge over Portugal. Scolari couldn't own Sven 3 times could he?:confused:

ReputationRep:
    That was poor all round.
    Rooney was good in parts, A.Cole did okay. Lampard and Beckham were the worst players on the pitch. Becks shouldn've been taken off on the hour. Gerrard didnt have a good game either.

That was actually the crappest game of the world cup to date. England have played some of the poorest football in what otherwise has been a good world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Were you watching the right game? There were a few long balls but no where near as many as before, and most were once we were in the lead. A lot of Rooney's play came from chasing ball that any other player would have given up on.
    Rooney didn't do very much (particularly for the first 60 minutes), not because he was poor but because the service to him was poor. I mean how many goal-scoring opportunities did England have prior to the goal? Yeah, very few, against an ordinary team. Doesn't say a lot IMO. Only got them when Ecuador were on caught on the break pushing men foward trying to get the equaliser.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammertal)
    Haha, not if you have plenty left in the tank.
    I was never comfortable being second favourites. Now we've been written off by a lot of people we can prove them wrong.
    (Original post by Jammertal)
    Fair enough. So you'd say that this phenomenon is rather a result of musical preferences than your mentality?
    To an extent - we have a good national anthem so we're proud to sing it. If it was really boring we probably wouldn't.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    JT got the arm band when Beckham went off - a sign of the future? At some point during McClaren's tenure there'll be a new captain presumably but when? The change over could be messy, it would be better if he made his intentions clear as soon as he becomes manager.
    I think he will. Especially if we don't win the World Cup, he'll want to cut off the links with the old school and make his mark as the new manager. declaring his intentions from the outset. He knows that if he doesn't he'll face some of the same bad press and claims of indecision that dogged Sven's reign.

ReputationRep:
    I would prefer Holland. I don't think they are as good mentally. They tend to bottle it when the tough gets going, i.e. with penalties etc. But then again I fancy England to get revenge over Portugal. Scolari couldn't own Sven 3 times could he?:confused:
    The Dutch are just on the verge of falling apart (as usual). Van Basten and van Nistelrooy have fallen out, van Persie and Robben. Hopefully just as we come to play them they'll be at each others throats.

ReputationRep:
    What's the word on Hargreaves?

England need to work on their set pieces, and send more men upfront so Rooney isn't left isolated and forced to move back.

ReputationRep:
    Lampard missed many chances to score after Rooney's good assistances :mad:

ReputationRep:
    Another mediocre performance, especially considering the opposition.

There a few plus points though, my main one being Ashley Cole who I thought had a fantastic game and really kept the shape of the team on that left side - would have probably been my man of the match.
    Carrick also played well with some consistent, crisp passing. Hargreaves did well too, although I would have liked to have seen more overlapping runs ahead of Beckham. The support to Rooney was good, with Gerrard and Lampard making a few good runs. Rooney was fantastic, even though he wasn't 100%.

What I wasn't happy with was Sven's decision to revert back to his tradition of sitting back / going defensive on a lead - i.e. bringing on Carragher and sticking Gerrard on the left, which meant we lost any impetus. Lennon should have come on a lot sooner, especially as Beckham seemed to be struggling and not really posing a threat (apart from set pieces). Lampard also seems to have lost his form.

Also, it is worrying that not at any one point in the game did we sustain any real pressure - ie there weren't periods where we kept the ball moving forward to produce successive clear cut chances.

ReputationRep:
    Rooney didn't do very much (particularly for the first 60 minutes), not because he was poor but because the service to him was poor. I mean how many goal-scoring opportunities did England have prior to the goal? Yeah, very few, against an ordinary team. Doesn't say a lot IMO. Only got them when Ecuador were on caught on the break pushing men foward trying to get the equaliser.
    Yet we won without really being troubled. Isn't that the sign of a good team? Doing just enough. How many chances did Ecuador have that didn't come from English mistakes. Yes they were poor, so why exert ourselves when we can win easily?

ReputationRep:
    I'm content with that performance, i wouldn't describe it as ugly like some have done, but it was controlled. There were some errors, few and far between, and we should have scored at least 2 more than we did do. I'm a strong cynic but i'm surprisingly happy at how we played today and our chances for progression past the next round. A big tactical error of Sven's was to leave Beckham on for as long as he did, when we have a substitute like the excellent Lennon, it's absolutely crazy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I was never comfortable being second favourites. Now we've been written off by a lot of people we can prove them wrong.
    Exactly the strategy of the Germans before the World Cup...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by silent ninja)
    That was poor all round.
    Rooney was good in parts, A.Cole did okay. Lampard and Beckham were the worst players on the pitch. Becks shouldn've been taken off on the hour. Gerrard didnt have a good game either.

That was actually the crappest game of the world cup to date. England have played some of the poorest football in what otherwise has been a good world cup.
    I pretty much agree. I'd like Sven to grow some balls and take a chance on bringing on Lennon early (who actually did well, for the 6 minutes he was on for), and in place of Beckham who is only really contributing to the team via set pieces. Is this really enough to warrant a place in the team?

ReputationRep:
    well.. when you score the only goal from a set piece? yea

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by sarforaz)
    well.. when you score the only goal from a set piece? yea
    Precisely

In my opinion this would be the perfect opportunity for the England coaching staff to 'accidentally' spill a rumour that Beckham is going to be dropped for the next game, that'll get back round to him and he'll work his arse off to ensure his position. Might work

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.