Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    Hey all.. having a grand old time in the US of A.. but really missing the football.

Managed to see England yesterday, absolutely dire.. again. I think the Portugal game is going to be our last one in the WC this year unfortunately, especially if Ronaldo passes fit to play..

ReputationRep:
    Portugese played so dirty the other night. Fair enough they were a bit agitated but that doesn't justify diving or Figo headbutting people...setting some example eh :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Looks like lucky Figo gets off:

http://home.skysports.com/worldcup/a...o+face+England

And to the Portuguese guy earlier - this time you can't bet on Rooney being injured and the ref diasallowing good goals... England 2 - 0 Portugal I think.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    no they didnt they deserved nothing. They couldnt even create a half decent chance when we were down to 10 men,
    Nor did the Italians, the fact that their attacks were fairly limited even with 11 men doesn't suggest that they were worthy winners over 90 minutes. If this was a group match a draw would have been the right result.

ReputationRep:
    ''like an English Henry''

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sharpshooter)
    Nor did the Italians, the fact that their attacks were fairly limited even with 11 men doesn't suggest that they were worthy winners over 90 minutes. If this was a group match a draw would have been the right result.
    Nor did the italians? wtf are you on about? did you not see the 3 clear cut chances that Toni had? or maybe Gila's chance? or those 2 chances for the yak?

ReputationRep:
    There was no point of bringing Walcott, it was a complete waste of a selection. He was hardly amazing even in Division 1 and his goal-scoring record wasn't even that great. He won't play a sinlge minute during the tournament and even in training has proved that he is below par. They should of took Defoe as at least he has experience and might of been a different option to Crouch if England needed a quicker striker.

ReputationRep:
    We'll see if Sven is right/wrong when the tournament ends

Right now prepare for the revenge of Euro 2004!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    dive? there was clear contact therefore it cant be dive. A dive is when someone goes down but there is no contact.
    There's nothing that says that a dive has to involve no contact. If I was running down the field, someone touched me on the arm and I fell over in an overly melodramatic fashion, I'd still be diving even though there would have been contact.

Please dont put all italians in the same bracket and please quit with the stereotypes. Its the type of thing a 10 year old fan would say.
    Fact remains that Italians have a reputation going back several years for diving. It's just like the English having a reputation for going out on penalties It may well be a stereotype, but it still holds true :p: Not to say that ALL Italians are diving cheating *******s, but the likes of Totti and Inzaghi give them a bad reputation...with people like Robben and Drogba, I can see the same sort of reputation being applied to Holland and Ivory Coast in time, but it's already a reputation the Italians have labelled to them.

(Original post by Sithius)
    What does everyone expect the outcome to be of this match with swit vs ukraine?
    Hoping Switzerland go through, but I wouldn't mind if Ukraine do it...benefit of backing both teams is that I'll be happy regardless of the result

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by decola)
    I don't know, I only really watch football during big competitions so i'm not really the one who should be arguing. We need someone impartial, like a Swiss person or something :P
    How about a Scot supporting the Swiss? :rolleyes:

The defender went for the ball, but the attacker hit the ball away and instead of side-stepping or jumping over the defender, both of which he clearly COULD have done, he got his right leg over but deliberately dragged his left leg so he'd be 'tripped' by the defender. It shouldn't have been a penalty, and Australia were robbed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by kizer)
    Besides if FIFA think the ref was too lenient they can impose a suspension...
    I can't believe someone actually had the balls to say that. The referee dished out 20 cards, with only 25 fouls recorded in total, and you actually think FIFA would think for a second that this referee was lenient?! The game was a joke - if anything, I'd suspect that Deco's suspension could be revoked because he didn't deserve to be sent off...but even that seems unlikely.

ReputationRep:
    who got the captains band when beckham went off?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    There's nothing that says that a dive has to involve no contact. If I was running down the field, someone touched me on the arm and I fell over in an overly melodramatic fashion, I'd still be diving even though there would have been contact.

Fact remains that Italians have a reputation going back several years for diving. It's just like the English having a reputation for going out on penalties It may well be a stereotype, but it still holds true :p: Not to say that ALL Italians are diving cheating *******s, but the likes of Totti and Inzaghi give them a bad reputation...with people like Robben and Drogba, I can see the same sort of reputation being applied to Holland and Ivory Coast in time, but it's already a reputation the Italians have labelled to them.

Hoping Switzerland go through, but I wouldn't mind if Ukraine do it...benefit of backing both teams is that I'll be happy regardless of the result
    I'd call that overreacting, not diving.

Stick to your old stereotypes if you want. What you're saying is like a foreigner saying the english have poor technical ability and play a physical game which simply involves hoofing the ball up! its simply not true. The majority of this italian side does not dive. Sure you can pick out a couple but we could pick out Gerrard and Owen for England - does that make them a bunch of diving cheats?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    I can't believe someone actually had the balls to say that. The referee dished out 20 cards, with only 25 fouls recorded in total, and you actually think FIFA would think for a second that this referee was lenient?! The game was a joke - if anything, I'd suspect that Deco's suspension could be revoked because he didn't deserve to be sent off...but even that seems unlikely.
    FIFA have a policy of not revoking cards - Blatter believes the referee's word should be final.

ReputationRep:
    How can you think about hating lampard. agreed i'm a chelsea fan and will be bias, but lampard is awesome, and has been trying really hard. mark my words, Lampard will come up with the goods when it matters!

ReputationRep:
    I agree with sven and beckham should be captain, he hasnt been playing that well, but nobody has. if you watch him though when he is on form he works harder than anybody which is really inspiring, and he is vocal.

the things i'm confused about is why does owen get the armband when becks goes off, i think JT should always get it like he did yesterday, and when beckham retires from international i reckon JT for captain if he doesnt get it sooner

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by darth_vader05)
    who got the captains band when beckham went off?
    John Terry got it, although Owen normally does

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    The players lost control. A mix of bad tackles and diving. The ref had little choice but to issue the cards.
    Following the letter of the law, absolutely. I just wish sometimes that the ref would take the initiative in a game which is threatening to boil over by pulling both captains aside, give them a quick talking to/warning and generally just calm things down. This is a common feature of rugby and I have to say for once the egg chasers are on the money. Obviously, the ref cannot be responsible for the players' atrocious behaviour last night but I don't think you can absolve him either.

ReputationRep:
    Swiss out without conceding a single goal..Quiz question for another year i think!
    They were even **** at pens.
    • PS Helper

ReputationRep:
    PS Helper
    thank lord that is over that was so unbelievably boring

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Have you ever experienced bullying?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.