The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 400
ba_ba1
Yeh i agree Crouch provides a different option for England - i.e. a target man which is what every team needs, at least as an option. I still don't think Crouch is that good, but he's the best England have for that role.

Ay, for a big guy he's got a good touch; he just can't score with his head for toffees. There really is a ridiculous amount of innuendo in that sentence!

ba_ba1
What if you put Gerrard on the left but gave him license to cut inside aswell. Lampard in the middle with either Carrick or Parker and Beckham on the right?
It's another option, definitely, but we're coming back to the problems with width - of which there'd be even less. Also, what with all of DB, SG & FL, there's only so many Hollywood balls you can take! Really, JC is the only one of the lot who can get past his man using a bit of guile, which we'd otherwise be missing. Although technically SG does and can, it's through sheer pace and power, and he doesn't necessarily stick to the touchline.

sarforaz
Yes but thats because they have a ton of wingers as it is :p: (and enough cash to buy a few more)
Not many well known natural wingers in England now methinks?

Just because he was hot at City and has a £21m price tag doesn't mean that he's fit and ready (both physically and mentally) to play at the highest level. It's quite simple. If you're can't even make squads, let alone player regular matches, you should not be starting for England. There are a few interesting wingers coming up: Downing and Richardson spring to mind, but there are others.
Reply 401
Economist
England's main problem is that they dont have anyone who can take the ball past people. Cole likes to think he can but he cant, Rooney losses it more time than he gets past people and Owen hasnt done it for years. It a tough decision in the midfield. Personally i'd go with Becks - Gerrard - Lampard - Cole even though it hasnt worked in the past and Cole isnt good enough to play for England in normal circumstances. I'd like a 3-5-2 but it wont happen :frown:. When does everyone think England will find a solution to the left side problem. It seems as if we have accepted that we will always be crap attacking from the left even though Ash is more than useful.

Cole can take on opponents, and to some extent Gerrard can aswell, but not so much for England.

Problem with the 3-5-2 is that no-one in England plays it which means it will be very hard for the players to get used to the formation and adapt to it. Sure it may get rid of the left side problem but then you just create a right side problem since England has no right wing back (please don't say Gary Neville). It also doubles the DM midfield problem since you ideally need 2 DM in the formation. This also means only one of Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham can play. Also the fact that no ther top nation uses the formation anymore says something.
Reply 402
Also, i might add, you don't need to attack down the left side or even have an out and out left winger. I mean France won Euro 2000 and WC 98 without a left sided midfielder. Italy haven't had a proper left sided midfielder since Donadoni. Brazil currently play without a right winger.
Reply 403
ba_ba1
Cole can take on opponents, and to some extent Gerrard can aswell, but not so much for England.

Problem with the 3-5-2 is that no-one in England plays it which means it will be very hard for the players to get used to the formation and adapt to it. Sure it may get rid of the left side problem but then you just create a right side problem since England has no right wing back (please don't say Gary Neville). It also doubles the DM midfield problem since you ideally need 2 DM in the formation. This also means only one of Gerrard, Lampard and Beckham can play. Also the fact that no ther top nation uses the formation anymore says something.

I'm not so sure of the two holders you're talking about, but there other problems besides the right wingback problem.

There's no target man; Owen would be playing off the last man, and we don't have a forward to hold and play in the midfielders

Congestion in the centre, what with Gerrard, Lampard, Rooney all competing for the same space

3-5-2 is not only a system that none of our players are used to - please don't start citing the CL Final to me

As a system it's generally defunct, especially in the face of current European formations. There's a reason for that.

In short, 3-5-2 is not the answer.
Reply 404
3 5 2

robinson

rio, terry, +sol/woodgate/king/carragher

ashley cole, david beckham
stevie g, m carrick, f lampard

w rooney
m owen

ans thats how its done? with good wing backs we would attack with pace, and hopefully 3 strong center backs would cover up the deficiency at corners, meaning we wouldnt need a target man. in any case rooney holds the ball up well.
ba_ba1

Cole and Gerrard can run at players but can take it round them if you see what I mean. We dont have any skillful players as such. I take your point about the 3-5-2. At the start of the season it would have been more suitable since Terry, Campbell and Rio were at the time 3 of the best defenders in the world. They would be a brick wall but since Rio and Campbell have been really poor its no longer an option. I felt with they we could perhaps operate with only 1 DM. As for the right wing back it would be Gary Neville or SWP but both are contrasting and neither really that suitable although I still think it would work.
Reply 406
Economist
Cole and Gerrard can run at players but can take it round them if you see what I mean. We dont have any skillful players as such.
I take your point about the 3-5-2. At the start of the season it would have been more suitable since Terry, Campbell and Rio were at the time 3 of the best defenders in the world. They would be a brick wall but since Rio and Campbell have been really poor its no longer an option. I felt with they we could perhaps operate with only 1 DM.

My take on it is that JC, SG and WR are England real dynamic player; the former using a bit of guile to get past. The other two speed and sheer strength; you won't see them doing any step overs for example. If any players are powering into the box with the bal at their feet you want it to be them. As such, they need to play, and play their free roles, no matter how. Now they can be accomodated into the same team, without launching into some silly formation that will not work.

The simple answer is either to drop FL to push SG further on (perhaps a backwards step), or to place SG on the right side. How? By moving DB to the centre or, less popular but perhaps more reasoned, drop him altogether. Let's face it, although he is captain what has he offered the team purely in footballing terms? He hasn't been able to take people on in years, rarely gets to the byline, and seem games hardly chalks his boots. What he does bring, however, is excellent delivery (albeit from the channels) and he is indeed useful in dead ball situations. Wait a minute; what can SG and FL also do? No, perhaps not necessarily to the same extent, but weigh up the benefits for yourself. I honestly believe 4-4-2, and slightly variations therefor, to be the best option for England.

Economist
As for the right wing back it would be Gary Neville or SWP but both are contrasting and neither really that suitable although I still think it would work.

SWP can't defend for toffees, and has never needed to. Neville would be the 'best' of the current crop, but has he got the legs? I'm not convinced.
Rainy
My take on it is that JC, SG and WR are England real dynamic player; the former using a bit of guile to get past. The other two speed and sheer strength; you won't see them doing any step overs for example. If any players are powering into the box with the bal at their feet you want it to be them. As such, they need to play, and play their free roles, no matter how. Now they can be accomodated into the same team, without launching into some silly formation that will not work.

The simple answer is either to drop FL to push SG further on (perhaps a backwards step), or to place SG on the right side. How? By moving DB to the centre or, less popular but perhaps more reasoned, drop him altogether. Let's face it, although he is captain what has he offered the team purely in footballing terms? He hasn't been able to take people on in years, rarely gets to the byline, and seem games hardly chalks his boots. What he does bring, however, is excellent delivery (albeit from the channels) and he is indeed useful in dead ball situations. Wait a minute; what can SG and FL also do? No, perhaps not necessarily to the same extent, but weigh up the benefits for yourself. I honestly believe 4-4-2, and slightly variations therefor, to be the best option for England.

Becks should be 1st on the team sheet imo. He isnt the best player we have but he is a leader and a top player. People sort of forget about him but he is a quality player at Madrid. I just dont think you could replace him.
Reply 408
Yeh his Madrid perfomances are excellent.
Reply 409
Economist
Becks should be 1st on the team sheet imo. He isnt the best player we have but he is a leader and a top player. People sort of forget about him but he is a quality player at Madrid. I just dont think you could replace him.

So what are you saying? Instruct him to stick in the centre without moving past the circle, or play him on the right and do as we have for god knows how long. The only other way I could feasibly agree to is for him playing on the right with SG playing on the left, thereby dropping JC. That, or drop either SG or FL. :wink:
Reply 410
i think its true england are a completely different team when beckham doesnt play.. he slows the play down.. helps balance out play a little using width and so on... but.. when he doesnt play i reckon england will play faster more skilful football (depending on his replacement...) and that way we could exploit the like of lampers and rooney more...
so beckham should play when we need to slow the tempo down... and not otherwise
Reply 411
jakatak
i think its true england are a completely different team when beckham doesnt play.. he slows the play down.. helps balance out play a little using width and so on... but.. when he doesnt play i reckon england will play faster more skilful football (depending on his replacement...) and that way we could exploit the like of lampers and rooney more...
so beckham should play when we need to slow the tempo down... and not otherwise

Quite possibly, but having watched many games of the current regime, England suit a higher tempo style.
Argentina to win the competition then? :rolleyes:
Well England won't win it.
How controversial. :biggrin:
4 months to go!!! Cant wait!! Weve got a great chance of winning it imo
I'm more interested in the CL. :biggrin:
Reply 417
Ditto. Let's say if it was a choice between no. 6 or 19 and the WC, England can **** off. That said, I'd rather England go out in the groups than win the thing and have Stevie or Jamie injured.
Yes but your team have won it enough times. Can you let other British teams have a chance please? :rolleyes:
Reply 419
NDGAARONDI
Yes but your team have won it enough times. Can you let other British teams have a chance please? :rolleyes:

Well no. 19 won't be happening any time soon. 6 in Gaye Paree would be luffly, but unlikely. Realistically speaking, the best I can hope for is 2nd & a cup final.

Latest