Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

(Original post by justfarhan)
    Almost as if you could get anyone you want.
    whats that supposed to mean :p:

ReputationRep:
    Why does everyone think the wink was cheeky? We have no idea what it meant, it could of been to let another player know he's ok or 'were gonna win this' type of wink.

And i repeat, it wasn't towards scolari.

ReputationRep:
    I just love the country hehe I've never been there, but I'm dying to go.
    Join the club. Except I'd be in the colder parts of Canada so nowhere near you. :p:

ReputationRep:
    Does it matter if you don't live in the area of the football club you support?

I've been supporting Liverpool since I was 8 years old, I fell in love with the club whilst watching them play (notibly the defeat to United in the FA Cup final 1995). I was hardly into football at the time, but there was something about Liverpool that made me wanna support them. Something beautiful. Anyways, I live in London, and have never been attracted to the London clubs. I didn't start supporting Liverpool "out of choice" as such, it just sorta happened, and I'm so glad it did. Many many years of "torture" followed though, as we weren't very successful in the 90s, but I still stuck by them. I wasn't about to change teams just because I don't live near Liverpool. I've been to quite alot of Liverpool matches (mainly at Upton Park) to show my support.

My argument is, club is different than country. A player can only play for his country if he was born there, or has citizenship. He cannot play for a country if he just feels like it. On the other hand, practically anyone can play for a club - irregardless of where they come from. I mean, how many foreigners do we have in the Premiership? The league wouldn't be the same without them - no doubt.

So, if Mark Gonzalez doesn't originally come from Liverpool, why should I, as a fan? Thierry Henry doesn't doesn't originally come from North London, why should an Arsenal fan have to be a North Londoner? Same for Rooney, he doesn't come from Manchester, he comes from Liverpool. Same with managers. Benitez, Wenger, Fergie & Mourinho aren't even English, let alone local. If there are 'restrictions' on fans supporting a certain team because they don't live near the club, shouldn't there be 'restrictions' on the players & managers aswell.

Conclusion: You can support any team you like, wherever you are in the World. I wonder how 'big' some of the 'World's biggest clubs' would be without the fans from the Far-East.

11 years and going strong. I love Liverpool FC.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Join the club. Except I'd be in the colder parts of Canada so nowhere near you. :p:
    Haha, the mountains and the lakes are the reasons why I love Canada! I don't live there :p: Are you going for a holiday there or something?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry you're a fake fan. Real fans attend every single game and live within 100m radius of the ground and own a house under 200m from the training facilities

ReputationRep:
    Looks like something from Mortal Kombat.

ReputationRep:
    I'll support who I like, thanks.
    Has somebody said anything to you?

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, does this thread seem direct? :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    Sorry, does this thread seem direct? :eek2:
    Looks like it. :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    *edits* :eek2:

ReputationRep:
    A fellow Liverpool supporter here.

Reason I support them is my dad is a supporter of them and I followed - he went to both European Cup Finals in the 70s along with many league matches. He's from Kent and we now live in Suffolk.

Unfortunately I've never been to a home game for various reasons, one of them being living in East Anglia there aren't exactly any local Premiership sides where I can get to see them play away :p: (though I'm really going to try to get to at least one game this year as I should have the time and hopefully money). The only time I've seen them play is at Norwich (local club) yeeeeears ago when, IIRC, they drew 1-1.

If you like the way a team plays, respect the players and enjoy watching and supporting them, there's no reason why you can't support them just because their ground doesn't happen to be the closest to you.

ReputationRep:
    Oh come on you bad losers. Players have done worse on the pitch.

ReputationRep:
    You're saying it almost as if if you wanted a player, you'd get him just like that.

But it's not that easy, as you've found with Ballack etc. And many many more.

Understand now? :p:

You're saying it almost as if if you wanted a player, you'd get him just like that.

But it's not that easy, as you've found with Ballack etc. And many many more.

Understand now? :p:
    well yeah i knew that :p:...its just that we are linked to him...i know what you mean though

ReputationRep:
    Who cares if you don't live near your supported team. Most players (esp premiership ones) live in gated mansions miles and miles away from the home ground. If a real fan has to live locally then there are no real clubs in the premiership.

ReputationRep:
    Fulham has a lot of local support...

ReputationRep:
    I knew Lahm because he was amazing on Football Manager. It's scary how accurate that game is.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 789654123)
    I don't agree that Ronaldinho played poor this world cup. He played really good during their France defeat match but I admit he didn't play as good as he could usually he is on a higher standard but we can't just note him off like that.
    Put it this way - if you'd never heard of him before the World Cup, would you have been that impressed with him? He did some nice passes and a bit of skill but had no where near the impact we know he can have.

If he wants to go down as an all-time great he'll have to have a very good 2010.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    I knew Lahm because he was amazing on Football Manager. It's scary how accurate that game is.
    For a lot of young or unknown players, the fans used to send in their own match reports and opinions, hence the accuracy. Very clever idea- if you can differentiate between blind loyalty and objectivity. Overall it's pretty good.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.