Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    hey guys i have just been talking to some fans who have left they told me that the Italian defender told Zidane to "go **** off back to the slums of Algeria" , what a disgrace , this really causes me to challenge my support of the Italian soccer team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Arachnophobia)
    Zidane had barely ever done something like that before. cut him some slack. You assaulting him is not justified as you saw absolutely nothing wrong with Rooney pushing Ronaldo or for that matter stamping on carvalho's testicles.
    thats some *******s of a statement. i did no way condone rooney - i lambasted him as much as i done zidane. they were both disgraces to their countries and themselves.
    (Original post by Arachnophobia)
    Now Don't be silly, did you see Materazzi aggrivate him? Just before Zidane headbutted him Matterazi grabbed him and said something, which must been very offensive. Stop picking on Zidane, he is a brilliant player, better than Rooney. He was more justified in doing what he did than Rooney, and glorifying Rooney is unjustified if you want to pick on Zidane.
    yes, i saw materazzi giving him some verbal. i'm not picking on zidane, so far i've said the same about rooney for violence, and ronaldo/henry for gamesmanship. and in all i've said i don't care how good they are and that these instant dosnt change how good they are, just shows what kind of people they can be.

ReputationRep:
    i feel for henry... loser in two finals this year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    That wasn't necessarily the issue. He's let himself and his nation down. Even if France had won the match, it still wouldn't have changed that.
    Yes. But he didnt ruin his career (magnificent regardless), or lose them the world cup as suggested by certain people on here and the BBC pundits.

This incident doesnt compare to Rooney's.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    The thing is, there is no doubt he has been a fantastic footballer, one of the best of all time. But that doesn't justify us "giving him some slack" - we can't just ignore the incident and only remember his brilliance, well at least for now.

Why not?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    No-one can really make a comment on his actions, unless they know for sure what was said. If he said 'you are going to lose ugly' then maybe he shouldnt of headbutted him- a stamp on the *******s would be sufficent enough but if he said **** you, your dog and your frog eating country..then..
    Yes they can. Whilst you are on the pitch you are representing your nation and playing for 10 other players around you. However much you are insulted there is no need for retaliation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Greater in what sense? Footballer? Yes. Person? I would argue no after what he did tonight
    Voted the most popular Frenchman ever- even after that elbow in 2000. Dragged himself out of the ghetto to be one of the great sportsmen of our time and you want to call yourself a better person than Zinadine Zidane? You have some shameless behaviour in the past but this takes the biscuit. If you knew the guy you could make such lavish statements.

ReputationRep:
    I bet you a million pounds it has changed

I do know nothing about him, but that was really out of order and in no way justified
    I don't need to bet you anything, because it won't. He'll get some stick in the press, but that will pass.

He is a symbol of how ethnic minorities living in the most terrible conditions, in the poorest parts of France, can overcome it all and succeed. What happened tonight will not change that.

I was in France for the game against Ivory Coast, when he came out of retirement, and the reaction & build up to the game was just amazing. He is seen as a god, no exagerration.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by joker_900)
    How can u say it wasn't justified? U don't know what he said. Now once we find out what was said we'll probs see it wasn't justified, but we still can't condemn him for losing his temper one time.
    Getting angry and letting it out are two different things. Personally I feel sorry for the other 10 players who he let down or has everyone forgot about them. By retaliating Zidane is lowering himself to their level

ReputationRep:
    Yes they can. Whilst you are on the pitch you are representing your nation and playing for 10 other players around you. However much you are insulted there is no need for retaliation.
    Its all well and good saying that, but unless you put yourself in that situation it is very hard to gauge how you would react.

ReputationRep:
    Don't want diving cheats like that in the Premier League, and I definitely can't see him staying at Man U, regardless of the rift with Rooney he has been mouthing off to the press about wanting to leave Man U and go to Real Madrid, SAF won't be welcoming him back with open arms either.

ReputationRep:
    No-one can really make a comment on his actions, unless they know for sure what was said. If he said 'you are going to lose ugly' then maybe he shouldnt of headbutted him- a stamp on the *******s would be sufficent enough but if he said **** you, your dog and your frog eating country..then..
    He pinched his nipple, which has horrible connotations in Algeria and more generally for Arabs. We can propbably guess what he said after he pinched him.

ReputationRep:
    Disagree, Italy didnt do much apart from the set pieces/corners
    their passing for good ...along with the whole attitude towards the game

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    Voted the most popular Frenchman ever- even after that elbow in 2000. Dragged himself out of the ghetto to be one of the great sportsmen of our time and you want to call yourself a better person than Zinadine Zidane? You have some shameless behaviour in the past but this takes the biscuit. If you knew the guy you could make such lavish statements.
    Shamless? Im not the person who physically assualted someone with billions of people watching whilst carrying the hopes of a nation with 10 other players relying on you to keep your head

ReputationRep:
    Its all well and good saying that, but unless you put yourself in that situation it is very hard to gauge how you would react.
    Fair enough but as ive pointed out people in sunday league teams will under go far worse abuse yet rise above it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lusus Naturae)
    What if he made some disgusting comment about Zidane's mixed race?
    that means materazzi is scum. not that zidane is right to charge at him like a bull to a matador.

ReputationRep:
    Shamless? Im not the person who physically assualted someone with billions of people watching whilst carrying the hopes of a nation with 10 other players relying on you to keep your head
    Go pinch any arab on the nipple, give him a bit of racial abuse about the algerian slums he grew up in then see what happens. Better still, imagine yourself as an arab. Can be used for any race, do the most insulting thing possible to them and watch what happens...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    that means materazzi is scum. not that zidane is right to charge at him like a bull to a matador.
    Completely agree

ReputationRep:
    Go pinch any arab on the nipple, give him a bit of racial abuse about the algerian slums he grew up in then see what happens. Better still, imagine yourself as an arab. Can be used for any race, do the most insulting thing possible to them and watch what happens...
    Any that makes it for him to react alright does it? If Materazzi has said something out of line then he his a disgrace but by reacting Zindane is only lowering himself

ReputationRep:
    Totally. If that's what happened i would have probs reacted the exact same way if i was Zidane.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.