Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    All valid points. I can't believe the audacity of Materazzi actually researching Arabic insults- he chose the most horrible one of all, and I'm not talking about the verbals.
    Completely agree, that is if he had made the racist comments

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    There are bigger things than football, correct.

There are also bigger things than people who's first reaction is violence
    You fail to see that what Materazzi said to Zidane was almost certainly far, far worse (especially as it gave Italy an advantage in the football match) than the reaction.
    Usually such moral problems happen in reverse. Someone does something small and there is a big reaction and most people are happy to say "the big reaction was over the top". Here something grotesque was said and then there was a release from the mental anguish caused. Why is it not plain that the reaction was almost trivial, though wrong, to the comment?
    Materazzi is always getting into trouble at my team (Internazionale). He is a trouble maker and colludes with the far right element in the stands. He is a King ****.

You are a class A moron. Congratulations.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -x-buttercup-x-)
    There are much better ways to handle a situation, by using violence he was basically showing he didn't have the intelligence to handle it any other way. It would have been bad enough if he'd have done it out on the street, but to let his country down like that makes it ten times worse
    What does intelligence have to do with a moment of rage? Overwhelming emotions can drive a person to do anything.

ReputationRep:
    His actions are partially understandable but not justified or excusable. We are of course asuming that the comments were race related
    They were completely understandable. The only thing that's hard to understand is your ignorance.

ReputationRep:
    People need to wind their condesending necks in until they find out what was actually said.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gameplayer_no1)
    clearly you've never had racial abuse thrown at you :rolleyes:
    No I havent but being abused doesnt justify not only hitting someone but letting your teammates and nation down

ReputationRep:
    There I think you're wrong

(Original post by Phonicsdude)
    Materazzi is always getting into trouble at my team (Internazionale). He is a trouble maker and colludes with the far right element in the stands. He is a King ****.

Didn't he say something to craig bellamy in champs league that made him throw a punch.

Is there anyway of knowing what was said?

ReputationRep:
    Completely agree, that is if he had made the racist comments
    I'm not talking about what Materazzi said. The pinch speaks a thousand words. Speak to some Arabs, find out what it means.

(Original post by creak)
    I can only imagine that the Italian defender would have said something horribly racist, and in doing so, was obviously looking for a reaction- they all knew the danger Zidane posed on the pitch and in penalties; the slimy little ******* was clearly angling for a similar reaction to the incident between Ronaldo and Rooney, trying to remove Zidane to give them a better chance of attaining a win. There is no other feasible reason. Zidane is a professional, he knew the pressure and expectation resting on him and his team, and he wouldn't have acted unless it was something that truly deserved it. Retaliating in such a manner was, and is, wholeheartedly appropriate, my only wish would be that the racist piece of scum that was that Italian player was put in far more pain.

Zidane deserves to be remembered for the great player he was, the incident at the end of that game should be seen as an understandable, justified reaction to whatever that pathetic little Italian bigot had said.
    Totally agree

ReputationRep:
    No I havent but being abused doesnt justify not only hitting someone but letting your teammates and nation down
    Some things are bigger than football. You have failed to acknowledge this. Ones background and people is worth far more to who a person is than a sport. French people, myself included, will forgive him if it transpires than Materazzi was racist. French people are like this. They really dont care.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by -x-buttercup-x-)
    There are much better ways to handle a situation, by using violence he was basically showing he didn't have the intelligence to handle it any other way. It would have been bad enough if he'd have done it out on the street, but to let his country down like that makes it ten times worse
    I can't believe there are people here who actually condemn the use of violence in combating racism? Any person who discriminates on the basis of race should expect to be met head on by the application of any force necessary in teaching the pathetic little **** the error of their ways. For whatever reason the Italian player made those comments, he deserves worse than a head to the chest.

Furthermore, from your earlier comment, so what if it's broadcast across the world, to 'innocent children'? Cry me a river. If anything this should be a prime example of the reaction people will take to bigotry and such inflammatory comments, and will hopefully cause more to follow Zidane's example and retaliate against the kind of scum that make such references in future.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Phonicsdude)
    You fail to see that what Materazzi said to Zidane was almost certainly far, far worse (especially as it gave Italy an advantage in the football match) than the reaction.
    Usually such moral problems happen in reverse. Someone does something small and there is a big reaction and most people are happy to say "the big reaction was over the top". Here something grotesque was said and then there was a release from the mental anguish caused. Why is it not plain that the reaction was almost trivial, though wrong, to the comment?

The worst thing about the issue? Materazzi now feels like he has won, he succeeded in winding him up and getting him sent off. He would feel half the person if Zidane has vented his anger in attempting to achieve the goal of winning the world cup.

Im not defending Materazzi and if he did say that then he is 10 times worse than Zidance but that doesnt make it ok for Zidane to react like that infront of the billions watching imo

ReputationRep:
    In the great scheme of things, defending myself against a racial insult rates higher than winning a medal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by creak)
    I can't believe there are people here who actually condemn the use of violence in combating racism?
    Because two wrongs don't make a right?

ReputationRep:
    At least the president has come out in his defence as well...clearly he's not feeling so let down as some of you imply!

(Original post by justfarhan)
    I really should make a compilation and put it up on Youtube. What music would be best for it? :hmmmm:
    the benny hill music

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Because two wrongs don't make a right?
    However, in this case it is right. A right to combat a wrong = everyone's happy.

(Original post by Klinsmannic)
    I'm not talking about what Materazzi said. The pinch speaks a thousand words. Speak to some Arabs, find out what it means.
    Well, could you say what the pinching means, I don't know any Arabs...

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.