Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    To be fair it was a great headbutt
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    (Original post by Klinsmannic)
    I don't think he'll respond fully. He'll probably be too embarrassed at what Materazzi did to him, and I don't say that lightly. I hope he does give a full version of events, materazzi deserves to be banned for a long time.
    This is becoming a bit of a kangaroo (with apologies to Oz) court!
    I rather think Materazzi is being tried and hung without proof here.. after all his only 'crime' was to be the victim of premeditated assault on a football pitch!

ReputationRep:
    Is it me or were a lot of Brits supporting France and rooting for Zidane today? To be honest, 10 or 20 years ago, I think that would have been quite unlikely...

ReputationRep:
    ouch :eek:

ReputationRep:
    I was supporting the Italians personally.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    This is becoming a bit of a kangaroo (with apologies to Oz) court!
    I rather think Materazzi is being tried and hung without proof here.. after all his only 'crime' was to be the victim of premeditated assault on a football pitch!
    Randomly walk behind an Arab in the street, pinch his nipple and verbally abuse him, then keep walking like nothing has happened. After you've been laid out, tell the police you're the victim of a 'premiditated' assault.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by naivesincerity)
    I was supporting the Italians personally.
    Most people know that Italy are my 'second' team so-to-speak. One of my posts last week actually supported Materazzi when he was unfairly sent off. I didn't think he was that malicious a person. How stupid I feel know.
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    Randomly walk behind an Arab in the street, pinch his nipple and verbally abuse him, then keep walking like nothing has happened. After you've been laid out, tell the police you're the victim of a 'premiditated' assault.
    Hypothetically, in a court of law I would (bruised) win the case - it is, however, rather an unlikely scenario.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SamTheMan)
    Is it me or were a lot of Brits supporting France and rooting for Zidane today? To be honest, 10 or 20 years ago, I think that would have been quite unlikely...
    Well I was supporting France because I didnt think Italy deserved to be in the Final after their antics against Australia. I don't know if anyones seen this but it made me laugh (tell me if you all have and i'll delete it ):

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by olliemccowan)
    Well I was supporting France because I didnt think Italy deserved to be in the Final after their antics against Australia. [/IMG]
    Yeah, but France were diving as much or more. Henry's been at it throughout, I think Malouda dived for the pen also

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by charco)
    Hypothetically, in a court of law I would (bruised) win the case - it is, however, rather an unlikely scenario.
    He has just as much right to take you to court as you do.

The mitigating circumstances are that he was minding his own business (trying to avoid his marker), you started the fight (the pinch), you verbally abused him, and you have previous. The CPS could conceivably take you to court.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by idiopathic)
    The BBC pundits mentioned him actually laughing after Materazzi tweaked his nipple (and before the headbutt) - so why would he laugh, continue walking, then turn around and headbutt if it was the nipple tweaking that offended him? Surely he would've just headbutted/reacted immediately after it?
    Case of the final straw, it could be the lightest straw but still causes the damage.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, but France were diving as much or more. Henry's been at it throughout, I think Malouda dived for the pen also
    Look at the replay. It looks as though the defender didn't mean it - he was tryna pull away as he was clearly going nowhere with the challenge - but knocked/tripped malouda, contact was made, defo pen.

ReputationRep:
    Well I saw no contact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by erk)
    Look at the replay. It looks as though the defender didn't mean it - he was tryna pull away as he was clearly going nowhere with the challenge - but knocked/tripped malouda, contact was made, defo pen.
    Yeah I agree, it wasn't intentional but there was definitely contact.

ReputationRep:
    Well I saw no contact
    it's amazing how some people see an entirely different game.

Both bbc and itv showed the contact from a number of different angles.

ReputationRep:
    I feel so bad for Zidane! Although what he did was totally out of order and he deserved that red card, I still feel so bad for him! I can't wait to find out if and what Materazzi said to him. To me it was clear M was going straight for Z when Z turned around, if Z didn't headbutt him I honestly think M would have done something to get himself sent off, at the least walked right into him. He was about two paces away from Z and still walking when Z headbutted.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and just 'cos the pundits said contact didn't mean I believed it. It was impossible to see at the moment he is alleged to have knocked him
    • Community Assistant
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Community Assistant
    Study Helper
    He has just as much right to take you to court as you do.

The mitigating circumstances are that he was minding his own business (trying to avoid his marker), you started the fight (the pinch), you verbally abused him, and you have previous. The CPS could conceivably take you to court.

Once again the 'facts' supporting your argument are merely (biased) opinion. The nipple pinch? proveable? difficult in the extreme.
    The abuse (although this one should be put to bed as it has no place in any argument) proveable? both not possible to prove and irrelevant.
    The head butt?

Violence has no place either on or off a sports field an cannot be condoned by any argument, yours mine or a hypothetical Arab tickler's

Zidane has behaved like a plonker and you can go on excusing him until you're blue in the face (fairly appropriate in this case) but at the end of the day he has behaved unprofessionally and deserves to be castigated. The red card has gone some way towards this although I would not be surprised if FIFA didn't also charge him with bringing the game into disrepute.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah, and just 'cos the pundits said contact didn't mean I believed it. It was impossible to see at the moment he is alleged to have knocked him
    Ill leave you to believe that.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.