The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Well at first when I saw that, I was like what the hell? why did he do that, It was such a disgraceful act and furthermore its not a good end to his glorious football career and he actually may have cost France the world Cup finals trophy...

But on the next day I saw the news on TSN, translating what Materazzi said, Materazzi was infact assaulting/taunting Zidane, first he called him terrorist, etc then Materazzi insulted Zidanes mom and actually the fight begin before even that incident, Materazzi was actually pinching Zidane, etc and again calling him names...

Even tho I strongly disagree in how he act but I think headbutt is the least of what Materazzi should recieve for saying those kind of disgraceful words but hey at least Zidane got the Golden Player Award...
Well according to the BBC website using an Italian translator he :

1. Told Zidane to CALM DOWN
2. Wished an ugly death on him and his family
3. Told him to 'f*** off'

And this was on the day that Zidane learnt that his mother was seriously ill.

You gotta feel sorry for Zidane because im sure he wouldnt have reacted like that if he hadnt received that news BUT :

1. Zidane's head was turned the other way so there is no way of knowing what he said to Materazzi.
2. Materazzi's father claims that his son was provoked beforehand.

Looking at the transcript Zidane obviously said something to him after the 'calm down' so it's unfair to blame Materazzi completely for it. Insults are thrown on the football pitch and the players should let them go and not take them personally. And there was no mention by the translator of any 'terrorist' comment.
The Daily Mail this morning says:

Football was awash with competing theories, but with the help of an expert lip-reader Sportsmail can reveal what triggered Zidane's attack.

Speaking in Italian, Materazzi grabbed his opponent as the ball ran away from them and told him: "Hold on, wait, that one's not for ***** (dregs) like you"

Zidane's reponse was not visible, but as the players walked forward Materazzi said: "We all know you are the son of a terrorist whore". Just for the butt, he was seen saying: "So just f**k off".

Our lip reader, who is employed in court-cases an an expert witness, can understand foreign languages phonetically and the translation was made with the aid of an Italian interpreter whose transcript supports Zidane's claim that Materazzi made a 'very serious' comment

Voila.
ba_ba1
It was a sad way for Zidane to go out, but what he did was NOT understandable, irrespective of what materazzi said (who i think is a prick). A lot of insults etc. are thrown about the pitch yet that doesnt mean everyone can react like Zidane did yesterday.

so you are telling me that if your mother was gravely ill in hospital you wouldn't have lost it if someone made a comment like that? footballers are still human. I didn't say that what he did was justifiable just that you could understand why.
If this had been Rooney instead of Zidane the media would have been: OMG!! SCOUSE THUG!! BAN HIM FOREVER!

And another.... :biggrin:
Latest on this story - seems two different lip readers saw different things and that Zidane will soon release what was said :

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/world_cup_2006/5168126.stm

The deaf lip reader saw the word terrorist and the other didnt ?! Strange - but Materazzi denies it completely.
Reply 5348
Materazzi added: "I am ignorant, I don't even know what an Islamic terrorist is; my only terrorist is her," he said pointing to his 10-month-old daughter.

even i dont know what a an islamic terrosist is, the only terrosist i know is osama bin laden
It is bad for the Italians who actually won the world cup that all of the media coverage and memories will be of Zidane, instead of there deserving victory. France might have lost even with Zidane it was only one of their penalties that hit the bar so it could have gone either way really. I think penalties are a sad way to end a world cup, bring back the golden goal.
Its true that insults are part of football and its all tactical in getting people sent off. Sad as it is, it is just part of football.

In honesty though, if you got insulted in the same way Zidane was alleged to have been, would you not have given him one? Strip the italiens of the world cup!

Zidane is a footballing genius, his actions in the final do NOT in any way tarnish his career from my perspective. I do however feel sorry for him as on the night of the final, he must have felt the lonelist man on the planet. Poor chap.

Also note. If anyone watches BBC football. The brazilian guy in the studeo (called Leonardo) was sent off in the world cup a few years back for elbowing someone in the face in an off the ball incident. He fractured the guys scull and was banned from taking any part in the rest of the tournament.

So i think its really the fact it is Zidane, not the actual incident which is causing all the debate. Its not zidanes fault that the italien went down like a sack of spuds...

NB: He still got player of the tournament. There is at least some justice.
The one I believe is that Zidane looked him up and down with arrogance, as Materrazzi said, and said 'If you want my shirt, you can have it later'

Materazzis agent then alleges Materrazzi said 'I'd rather have the shirt off your wife'

I think the lip-reading is quite speculative though, they all seem to differ
naivesincerity
The one I believe is that Zidane looked him up and down with arrogance, as Materrazzi said, and said 'If you want my shirt, you can have it later'

Materazzis agent then alleges Materrazzi said 'I'd rather have the shirt off your wife'

I think the lip-reading is quite speculative though, they all seem to differ

I'm not sure about that one, but the thing is that ITV news said what they believe Materazzi said, and they must have been sure because if they're found to have made it up then Materazzi can sue for liabel (or however you spell it :biggrin:)
This angle is better and could be lip read:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D2slJ9CBnk0&feature=TopRated&page=1&t=t&f=b

It's clear that Zidane looks at him cockily, and you can see Materazzi getting pissed off
Because i am. and want to meet fellow keepers. :biggrin:
Real are gunna try to get Kaka, Cannavaro, Robben, Fabregas, Nistelrooy, Ronaldo, Heinze, Kerlon and Ribbery. Cannavoro should be unveiled later this week.

Doesn't matter that they're in debt, new president in charge he'll want to splash out a lot! Also they funded by the Spanish Royality be it secretly or not. Also During Barcelona's transformation season a few year back they had like £300M debt and still spent loads and got a new swish jet for the team... look at em now.

Wenger's been in contact with Buffon loads, I doubt he'll stay in Italy. I think its between Arsenal and Barca, Barca haven't really shown any interest though... not in many players infact.
cjmcnair
what do u think shud Man Utd get to replace the possible loss of Ronaldo & Van Nistlerooy?

I reckon (tho prob will never happen) Utd shud go for S.W.P from Chelsea and stick with Saha and Rooney bringing in a talent rather than an established striker (hopeing Rossi will come good)

Ronaldo + £5M for Eto'o
Nistelrooy for Hargreaves
£16M for Riquelme
Reply 5357
randdom
so you are telling me that if your mother was gravely ill in hospital you wouldn't have lost it if someone made a comment like that? footballers are still human. I didn't say that what he did was justifiable just that you could understand why.

i would have done my talking on the pitch - won the match for France and laughed in Matrix's face. No need to resort to violence.
ba_ba1
i would have done my talking on the pitch - won the match for France and laughed in Matrix's face. No need to resort to violence.

Yeah but there was only 5 minutes left, chances are he wasn't going to win it.
Reply 5359
olliemccowan
Yeah but there was only 5 minutes left, chances are he wasn't going to win it.

Fair enough the chances are he wouldnt have won it. However, i still think his actions were totally inexcusable, even if the Matrix did insult.

Latest