Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

Poll: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
Yes. (135)
54.22%
No (^o)) (114)
45.78%
This discussion is closed.
dimexi
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I agree with your brother on this one! I think he is highly overrated, I mean, sure he has the skill to do step overs and flip flaps or whatever you call them but he hardly converts these chances on most of the games I've seen.
Ronaldo was a much better player in his prime (before he discovered high in fat meat pies).
+Ronaldinho hardly impressed me in the game against Arsenal and also at Germany
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by dimexi)
I agree with your brother on this one! I think he is highly overrated, I mean, sure he has the skill to do step overs and flip flaps or whatever you call them but he hardly converts these chances on most of the games I've seen.
Ronaldo was a much better player in his prime (before he discovered high in fat meat pies).
+Ronaldinho hardly impressed me in the game against Arsenal and also at Germany
IMHO, i agree with my brother to an extent. I feel he is over-rated, i honestly feel that on their respective 'best forms', there's actually very little difference between (if any), say Joe Cole, and Ronaldinho....

i may get some outbursts now, from ronnie lovers....
Spud
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Yip - very over-rated in my book. I've been saying it for some time, and as I don't watch any Spanish football, my opinion is simply based on the Champions' League and World Cups.

All these ridiculous tricks look wonderful in adverts, but in a game, they're of little use. That said, he certainly has the skill to beat players, but seems to be anonymous for long spells in games. Commentators seem to drool over everything he does - but if it was done by a non-Brazilian it would get little notice.

Bottom line is - bags of skill, with little end product more often than not. Also, it could be argued that he freezes on the biggest stage - as he did little in either World Cup he has participated in, particularly this year, when he was expected to lead his team, but they faltered without much of a wimper in reply to France.

As for the World Player of the Year awards .....
white_haired_wizard
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spud)
Yip - very over-rated in my book. I've been saying it for some time, and as I don't watch any Spanish football, my opinion is simply based on the Champions' League and World Cups.

All these ridiculous tricks look wonderful in adverts, but in a game, they're of little use. That said, he certainly has the skill to beat players, but seems to be anonymous for long spells in games. Commentators seem to drool over everything he does - but if it was done by a non-Brazilian it would get little notice.

Bottom line is - bags of skill, with little end product more often than not. Also, it could be argued that he freezes on the biggest stage - as he did little in either World Cup he has participated in, particularly this year, when he was expected to lead his team, but they faltered without much of a wimper in reply to France.

As for the World Player of the Year awards .....
I feel Gerrard should have got World Player of the Year, the year Liverpool won the Champions League....
TSRXShogun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spud)
Yeah actually he is a bit over rated but you should have seen him in Barcelone he was amazing but I guess when he reached the World Cup he got a bit tired...

(Original post by Spud)
Yea the tricks theyve done in adverts are really kool but not all of the are no use in the game, it need confidence and good skills to do it in the game, Non Brazilian got little notice? You seem to forgot about others like Zidane, Henry, etc..
(Original post by Spud)
Well I blame Roberto Carlos for the loss of Brazil to France he was suppose to mark him anyway in that game against France the Brazillian coach is stupid enough to put Ronaldinho as a striker he is much better of being a midfielder, also Ronaldinho need a fast striker which certainly not Ronaldo. Conclusion yeah he is over rated but perhaps his skill is what blinded many...
dimexi
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Henry > Ronaldinho..

Zidane's head > Ronaldinho's skill

Henry > All
supernova2
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Dont now all jump on the bandwagon and underrate him just because he has a poor world cup. Hes one of the few players (eg henry, zidane etc) that Id actually watch a match just to see. Its like when these players get the ball you know something special is usually going to happen.

His vision and skill is unquestionable.
Spud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by supernova2)
Dont now all jump on the bandwagon and underrate him just because he has a poor world cup. Hes one of the few players (eg henry, zidane etc) that Id actually watch a match just to see. Its like when these players get the ball you know something special is usually going to happen.

His vision and skill is unquestionable.
I agree with you - he certainly shouldn't be judged on one World Cup - and I admit that my assessment was based solely on CL and World Cups.

And, indeed he is one of the players who people would pay to watch. However, I still believe that he goes AWOL too often, and doesn't produce enough for someone who has won the World Players of the Year award a few times.
Spud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Shogun_X13)
Non Brazilian got little notice? You seem to forgot about others like Zidane, Henry, etc..
Sorry, maybe I was unclear. What I mean is that commentators and journalists seem to be wetting themselves with excitement whenever Ronaldinho does ANYTHING - a simple touch, pass or turn - anything. However, if someone from a 'lesser' nation were to do the same thing, it goes unnoticed. Indeed Zidane, Henry and others drew praise - but this was generally for exceptional play, andthey certainly drew criticism as well, after France's disappointing start to the tournament.
Anyway, what I'm saying is that the media play a big role in Ronaldinho being over-rated, IMO - probably because they're willing him to be the next Pele, Zico, Rivelinho, Jairzinho etc. Rivaldo was similarly over-rated, IMO - though obviously not to the same extent.

(Original post by Shogun_X13)
Well I blame Roberto Carlos for the loss of Brazil to France he was suppose to mark him
You can't blame a Brazilian defender for a 1-0 loss. The '0' is the key bit - Brazil expect to outscore anyone, but could hardly manage even a decent effort against France - and as conductor of the orchestra, I would place much of the responsibility with Ronaldinho.
Fluid
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Being a liverpool supporter. Alonso is a legend at the moment for us and he was an absolute bargain. He's a million times better than Carrick.
Vintage
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Spud)
Sorry, maybe I was unclear. What I mean is that commentators and journalists seem to be wetting themselves with excitement whenever Ronaldinho does ANYTHING - a simple touch, pass or turn - anything. However, if someone from a 'lesser' nation were to do the same thing, it goes unnoticed. Indeed Zidane, Henry and others drew praise - but this was generally for exceptional play, andthey certainly drew criticism as well, after France's disappointing start to the tournament.
Anyway, what I'm saying is that the media play a big role in Ronaldinho being over-rated, IMO - probably because they're willing him to be the next Pele, Zico, Rivelinho, Jairzinho etc. Rivaldo was similarly over-rated, IMO - though obviously not to the same extent.

You can't blame a Brazilian defender for a 1-0 loss. The '0' is the key bit - Brazil expect to outscore anyone, but could hardly manage even a decent effort against France - and as conductor of the orchestra, I would place much of the responsibility with Ronaldinho.
Some games Ronaldinho is basically absent.. then he'll do one moment of brilliance.. or have terrific games.
by-torslayshisfoe
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I don't think he's overrated.

His form for Barca in the league was excellent. He was good in the Milan Champions League game too.

Frank Lampard had a crappy World Cup. Does this mean he is overrated too?
Klinsmannic
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you watch him week-in week-out you'll get a much better picture of his talent. Imo, no doubt the most naturally talented player in the world (now that Zizou has retired). He had a bad world-cup but the whole Brazil team was rubbish- his Barca form is usually sensational.
idiopathic
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Klinsmannic)
If you watch him week-in week-out you'll get a much better picture of his talent. Imo, no doubt the most naturally talented player in the world (now that Zizou has retired). He had a bad world-cup but the whole Brazil team was rubbish- his Barca form is usually sensational.
Agree. You need to watch him consistently for Barca. When he plays for Barca he has good, mobile players with some energy running around him into space (eg Eto, Messi, Guily), but with Brazil, Ronaldo (and Adriano) simply did not do a single thing to make it easy for the Brazilian midfielders.
Spud
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by numero sept)
He was good in the Milan Champions League game too.
Thank you for highlighting his inconsistency.
DontBuyTheSun
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
If you stand him next to the talent of Zidane/Pele etc he doesnt even come close.
Okay, he is by far the most skillful player i have seen this generation but that is of very little use in a match. He also has a tendancie to be to ineffective and drift in and out of matches. He isnt a match winner in the sense of Gerrard and Zidane either. You want see him pick Barca or Brazil up by the scruff of the neck and get them back in a goal.
Also..champions league final/World cup finals he has been missing something Zidane has been world class in repeatedly.
Oh, and id have Gerrard in my team over him anyday. And im not just being biased.
*Ridwan*
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
How much did Inter pay for P. Viera?
kpg
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by white_haired_wizard)
I feel Gerrard should have got World Player of the Year, the year Liverpool won the Champions League....
LOL :rolleyes:

Yes Ronaldinho is over rated like every top footballer is. Commentators make even the simplest of things out to be some kind of footballing genius and can't shutup about him even if he doesn't have a good game. That doesnt mean he's not one of, if not the, best footballer on the planet though.
Lopez
Report 12 years ago
wasnt there a report claiming his bad performances in the wc to be due to romps with his gf?
Klinsmannic
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by kpg)

Yes Ronaldinho is over rated like every top footballer is. Commentators make even the simplest of things out to be some kind of footballing genius and can't shutup about him even if he doesn't have a good game. That doesnt mean he's not one of, if not the, best footballer on the planet though.
I agree with this. We're all fickle at times, but a bad WC in a poor team doesn't make him a bad player. The guy has helped make Barcelona the best, most consistent side in the World over the last few seasons. Some of the stuff he does is outrageous, and there is an end product with all the goals and brilliant assists he makes. The Real Madrid game last season was the best all-round performance by a player I saw all season in any division...he's had games like this quite often, although he may not have scored such spectacular goals. The games against Chelsea he's always shown his class. I just can't believe all this Ronaldinho bashing.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?

Remain (1438)
79.71%
Leave (366)
20.29%

Watched Threads