Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danglenister)
    As far as the cole situation is concerned I think the ball is firmly in Arsenal's court. I could see wenger getting great satisfaction out of watching cole rot in the reserves until his contract is up - and its not as if clichy isn't proven to be quite a good player himself.

If chelsea don't meet what Arsenal want, he doesn't go.. and putting it simply... I don't really think wenger cares if cole rots in the reserves, after all at least he's not strengthening the opposition.
    If Wenger let him rot in the reserves, he would be kissing goodbye £20m! and i dont think the Arsenal board or Chairman would be to happy with that.

ReputationRep:
    If Wenger let him rot in the reserves, he would be kissing goodbye £20m! and i dont think the Arsenal board or Chairman would be to happy with that.
    Depends how much its worth to weaken your opposition. With gallas seeming to want to go and Bridge being unbelieveably injury prone, chelsea could be left with little options at left back.

If Ribery comes to Arsenal when Reyes leaves then I see that as a strength for Arsenal because Reyes is, in my opinion, no way near as talented as Ribery.

Then you have Cole, best left back in the world, not at Chelsea... I see that as a win to the Arsenal myself.

ReputationRep:
    totally agree...besides he'll rot at chelski and he'll know wat a mistake he's done, and well the fans already hate him...i dont think he'd be welcomed back. reyes out ribery in i agree...ribery is linked with lyon and bayern munich as well as us, but they wont sell him to lyon cos they wanna compete for the frnech title and bayern munich pulled out cos they dont have enough money

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by IsOLaTiOnIsT)
    totally agree...besides he'll rot at chelski and he'll know wat a mistake he's done, and well the fans already hate him...i dont think he'd be welcomed back. reyes out ribery in i agree...ribery is linked with lyon and bayern munich as well as us, but they wont sell him to lyon cos they wanna compete for the frnech title and bayern munich pulled out cos they dont have enough money
    Ribery isn't going anywhere IMO. I've always thought that was the case.. I wonder if Ashley Cole will leave as well, he has def been a naughty boy BUT the fans need to forgive him. + Cole will bring life into the Chelski defence IF he does go there; he will be a light in their defensive tunnel
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    BBC SPort
    Republic of Ireland manager Steve Staunton is recovering after a man with an imitation gun confronted him at the team's hotel near Dublin.
    The man allegedly threatened to kill him. Staunton, 37, fled and alerted staff at about 2000 BST on Monday.

The Football Association of Ireland (FAI) said: "Steve is absolutely fine and looking forward to training."

A 31-year-old man was later arrested on a beach beside Portmarnock Hotel, where the team were preparing for a match.

Staunton was in the car park talking on his phone when he was approached by a man, who began shouting at him and produced the weapon, believed to be a plastic imitation Uzi sub-machine gun.

He ran back into the hotel and the man was pursued by FAI security staff.

Weapon search

A man was arrested by Irish police and is being questioned at Malahide Garda Station in Dublin.

Irish police guarded team members at the hotel after the incident
    A spokesperson for the Gardai said: "We have one man in custody in relation to an incident that happened in Portmarnock shortly before 2000 BST.

"He was arrested in the vicinity under section 30 of the Offences Against the State Act.

"Gardai are continuing to search the area for the weapon."

Staunton is expected to hold a news conference later on Tuesday.

Second incident

It is the second time an armed incident has occurred at the Portmarnock Hotel while the Irish team were in residence.

Almost three years ago an armed raider fired a shotgun into the ceiling of the hotel as players enjoyed an evening meal.

Two armed and masked men had entered the lobby of the hotel on November 17, 2003, and stole about £690. No-one was injured in the incident.

The Republic of Ireland's friendly match against Holland at Lansdowne Road on Wednesday will be former Liverpool and Irish Republic defender Staunton's third match in charge of the national team.

ReputationRep:
    Dont get me wrong, i would love Cole to stay, but its looking more and more likely that he will now go! the same with Reyes.

Ribery would be a great signing though, you'd need someone to come in for Reyes if he left.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-G)
    Dont get me wrong, i would love Cole to stay, but its looking more and more likely that he will now go! the same with Reyes.

Ribery would be a great signing though, you'd need someone to come in for Reyes if he left.
    I thought the Ashley situation was stagnant? Has it been put in gear again? I would love if he stays as well..
    Baptista is a likely option if we let Reyes go. I remember us chasing up baptista last season anyway, so it's all good . Would love Gallas to be swapped for Ashley. Lauren is back in sept/oct and I hope clichy recovers soon and that's it! Absolute strength in our back 4

ReputationRep:
    ribery's poo
    surely we can get someone better than him.. or play walcott on the left.. or even persie...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by D-G)
    Gallas is not worth £20m, Cole is!!! So it would have to be Gallas and some money. There is no insult there.
    Are you underestimating Gallas' worth considering he's Chelsea's best left-back, second best right back (when Ferriera's on form), and their second best central defender? I'd say Ashley Cole is worth £16m.

ReputationRep:
    1st.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onearmedbandit)
    Well we signed Sol Campbell. That's a good step forward
    Congratulations. An Arsenal fan at work started complaining that Sol is a traitor, and needless to say, I raised an eyebrow. :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    A respectable 5th.

COYB!

ReputationRep:
    Why do football clubs like Spurs and Everton have Latin under their crest? j/w

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Why do football clubs like Spurs and Everton have Latin under their crest? j/w
    latin mantras are cool i guess.

ReputationRep:
    It would be cheesy if they said it in english! So use the language no one knows

ReputationRep:
    i went to the Chelsea v liverpool FA cup semi-final last season, and there was a few things on that day. Before the game we were in a pub with about 300 chelsea fans and the youth firm and about 80 Man Utd come outside the pub wanting it, the police had to disperse them up the road while we got cornered in the pub. Then a Liverpool coach went past and that was getting bottled left right and centre. After the game apparantly chelse kicked-off with chelsea.

ReputationRep:
    It has died down, gone are the days when Chelsea fans would throw knives at inicent football fans and their children in a town centre. Or when Rangers fans would pelt the away corner at Ibrox with glass bottles.

The scum are gone but their will always be thugs and wherever there's alcohol and a big occasion their will be idiots

ReputationRep:
    Hi, few mates and I put £20 in for first half of season and we choose 15 playes, 1 sub for each position (442) , however all players are used for example if my sub goalkeeper does better than my 1st one then points used from the sub goalkeeper will count towards total instead! We had 65 mill to spend this is my team.

Cech
    Robinson

Dawson
    Brown
    Carragher
    Terry
    L Y Pyo

Lennon
    Duff
    Gerrard
    Rosicky
    Solano

Berbatov
    Bellamy
    Defoe

Im just over the limit with this team, any suggestions of players i should change, im thinking of perhaps removing Brown and putting in another full back but who??
    Also Midfiels im happy with apart from Solano, do you reckon pederson could be a good bet or was it a lucky season? or garcia, open to all suggestions
    At present im 1.5 mill over thats estimating terrys price cause i didnt write it down
    Thanks

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KingKev)
    It has died down, gone are the days when Chelsea fans would throw knives at inicent football fans and their children in a town centre. Or when Rangers fans would pelt the away corner at Ibrox with glass bottles.

The scum are gone but their will always be thugs and wherever there's alcohol and a big occasion their will be idiots
    Im sorry what?

Chelsea fans never threw knives at kids, thats bull****.

Hooliganism was annoying, an irritant and often damaged property. But it very rarely stretched into hurting innocent members of a bystanding public. It was controlled by the fans, teams like Liverpool pushed it into knife (stanley) culture and i believe that knives were the downfall of hooliganism just as much as the cracking down by police.

Many football fans in the 80s loved the hooliganism, they went FOR the fight. They weren't thugs, they were normal. The fighting was just a few punches or even just a chase for a few kickings. It is too easily dismissed by many as something that only the stupid did, when many many people joined in.

Also whats wrong with swearing in chants?

ReputationRep:
    Are you a Spurs fan by any chance!!

L Y Pyo and Wes Brown should be swapped for, Wayne Bridge and Kolo Toure.

Nobby is a good player, will get points, he scores goals and assists, but if Charles N'Zogbia was playing first team he'd get more points. Morten Gamst Pedersen is a tad over rated. The man to get this season is Mikel Arteta.

Should have Henry instead of Defoe. Unless you cant afford it.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.