Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    good job..4 goal nowww hahaha...(before 1st half-44) :yy:

ReputationRep:
    England are back.

We'll win every game until Euro 2008 where we will crash out...

ReputationRep:
    Wow, we're on fire. How many goals did we manage in the whole World Cup, just out of interest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nick R)
    England are back.

We'll win every game until Euro 2008 where we will crash out...
    Inevitable sods law..

I'm bloody impressed by Downing. It's like old school 70s footie with an out and out winger with a 'loose cannon' being Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    I hope he takes Crouch and Gerrard off soon don't fancy them being injured before the first game.

ReputationRep:
    good performance...one obvious change

drop lampard, move gerrard in field and start lennon. simple

(Original post by FK)
    good performance...one obvious change

drop lampard, move gerrard in field and start lennon. simple
    I don't agree. Keep Gerrard in the free role on the right, and keep faith in the Lampard-Hargreaves partnership whilst keeping Downing in mind for a starting place. Crouch deserves a run.

ReputationRep:
    It looked good. I also thought moving Gerrard into right wing showed McClaren is more of a thinking coach than someone who just goes for the easy option. I'm not going to get overly optimistic and start thinking we're gonna win Euro 2008, but for what it was, it was good.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by benisright)
    Im sorry what?

Chelsea fans never threw knives at kids, thats bull****.
    True story I am afraid.

Although to be fair, the people involved in hooliganism aren't really fans: just people who attach themselves to a club.

ReputationRep:
    It wasnt chelsea hooligans, just drunk thugs who support chelsea. Theres a difference.

And the courts tried to pin chelsea headhunters on being racist, before realising that they were accusing a black man of the same thing. Hooligans/skinheads arent traditionally racist, they started out because they loved to listen to reggae.

Learn some social history pleease.

ReputationRep:
    What is the difference? They were hooligans who associate themselves with the club. It's not a slur on Chelsea: they cannot help who associates with them.

ReputationRep:
    haha, the bbc website talking about the 4th goal:

"Crouch rounded off the scoring with a downward header into the top corner."

if you saw it, you can understand what they're on about. but i have got this image if a giant crouch with his head about 9 foot in the air, heading the ball downwards but still into the top corner (without bouncing on the ground)?!

ReputationRep:
    I was there yesterday and it was a lot of fun to see. Particularly because the midfield was playing football again. I suppose Owen Hargreaves must take the credit for letting them, and Peter Crouch was impressive dropping deep and keeping the play ticking. Ideally he'd be the man to replace an absent Wayne Rooney. I was concerned though that Steven Gerrard was drifting inside and getting us quite narrow, and we didn't use Stewart Downing as much as we might have. And if we could have foreseen how easy we'd have it, we could have tried new players out. But a much better performance all in all, and I was glad to be there (even if it meant returning to London Victoria at 4am).

ReputationRep:
    Hooligans were more organised, they had rank structure etc. and arranged meets. Louts were people who got drunk and started fights.

ReputationRep:
    Brighton - somewhere in the play offs. Would be nice to go straight back up automatically.

As for the premiership.

1. Chelsea
    2. Liverpool
    3. Arsenal
    4. Man Utd
    5. Tottenham
    6. Pompey (would be nice :p: )

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    True story I am afraid.

Although to be fair, the people involved in hooliganism aren't really fans: just people who attach themselves to a club.
    This is rubbish. Hooligans were/are hardcore supporters - home, away and all over europe. Just because they wanted a fight before and after the game doesn't mean they weren't interested in the good of the club.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by redhotchilipepper)
    Hi, few mates and I put £20 in for first half of season and we choose 15 playes, 1 sub for each position (442) , however all players are used for example if my sub goalkeeper does better than my 1st one then points used from the sub goalkeeper will count towards total instead! We had 65 mill to spend this is my team.

Cech
    Robinson

Dawson
    Brown
    Carragher
    Terry
    L Y Pyo

Lennon
    Duff
    Gerrard
    Rosicky
    Solano

Berbatov
    Bellamy
    Defoe

Im just over the limit with this team, any suggestions of players i should change, im thinking of perhaps removing Brown and putting in another full back but who??
    Also Midfiels im happy with apart from Solano, do you reckon pederson could be a good bet or was it a lucky season? or garcia, open to all suggestions
    At present im 1.5 mill over thats estimating terrys price cause i didnt write it down
    Thanks
    So basically the lowest scoring player in each position doesn't count (whether sub or not), is that right? Is that every week (I assume so), or over the whole season? Also how many (if any) transfers are you allowed?

From what you said it can't be the premierleague.com game most of us are playing, because of the budget and player prices you mentioned - I think it is the Telegraph game? Law 1 of Fantasy Football: know the rules of the game. The Telegraph rules are different to the FPL rules so the tactics may be different.

My advice - you've gone way overboard on Spurs players (Law 7a of Fantasy Football: never let your heart rule your head). Further, I would advise against having two from one team in ANY position - for example if Spurs lose a match 4-0 then at least one of Defoe/Berby and at least one of Lee/Dawson will have to count for your team for a combined score of zero at best.

Your team looks ok. Cech is apparently a doubt for the first month of the season (just back in training after injury). Plus I agree with what others say that if you pick a TOP goalie your second goalie can be cheap as there is less chance of them outscoring your top one in any week, so they will hardly come into play for your team. Although I know that in the Tele game, below the top 4 keepers there is little price gap between them.

LeeYP will likely be displaced from the team if Spurs sign Neill or Chimbonda. Also stay away from N'Zog - he won't be a first-choice at the Toon. Pedersen is a good pick - it was a consistent season not a lucky one, and he scored a few in this preseason and one for Norway against Brazil last night! Plus in the Tele he will get additional points for Man of the Match. Arteta too, he will also be good value. And be wary of Rosicky (Law 5 of Fantasy Football: do not trust foreign imports until they have proven themselves in the Premiership). I would add to that don't let one or two flash performances in the world cup (by any player *coughlennon*) decieve you either.

ReputationRep:
    what was that....lampard scored via a deflection???? well theres a change

[/sarcasm]

and i think stevie g should move in for him with lennon on the right

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rainy)
    I'm bloody impressed by Downing. It's like old school 70s footie with an out and out winger with a 'loose cannon' being Gerrard.
    from what i remember downing was like that a couple of seasons ago before he started getting bad injuries. last season he didnt seem to be as sharp or as quick but it looks like this pre season has done him some good

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.