The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I'm just waiting for a Liverpool fan to say Sissoko
Despite being an Arsenal fan - I agree Xavi is an awesome, world-class player - but one not regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world for some reason.

Now here's a suggestion much easier for me to make - Fabregas. Easily the best midfielder in the premiership, but people will say Gerrard or Lampard. Cesc's got it all - watch him guide Arsenal to the CL and Prem double :biggrin:
i think before the WC - Hargreaves was under estimated and underappreciated but now look at him. Probably one of the only things Sven did right was keep him in the England Squad
Reply 6163
Silly kids trying to be clever. Xavi?! Any football fan worth their salt knows how good he is.
Reply 6164
Why is Aaron Lennon the great saviour for everyone? So he looked good against tiring full-backs for 20 minutes at a time in the World Cup. He has yet to prove himself to me, his form for Spurs isn't exceptional.
Reply 6165
Try Gael Clichy. He'll play with Ashley Cole out the door.
FK
this midfield still has ericksson written all over it.

well, it has last season's best attacking midfielder, last season's best right sided midfield player, last seasons out and out left winger, and bayern's best player holding the midfield. i don't see much wrong with it, now they are playing as they do for club. granted, i'd rather drop lampard and play a genuine right winger, but we don't have one experienced enough. lennon will be good and is a fantastic impact sub, but for now i'd stick with what mclaren has.

FK
but if the thought process you seem to have been brain washed by continues in the england ranks then we will just have to hope lampard brakes his leg.

if lampard's world cup form continues into this season, then yes, drop him. the tail end of last season wasn't fantastic and imho for the world cup we should have had a becks-gerrard-hargreaves-jcole midfield starting. at the moment, mclaren is trying new stuff without being overly revolutionary, except for dropping becks, which is understandable. however, he has just shown gerrard and lampard can work, at the expense of a true right winger. but gerrard doesnt half make a decent right sided midfield player, especially when the player to his left anchors the midfield :smile:
Reply 6167
Some players who I think are totally underrated in the premiership are;

Ryan Nelsen, fantastic defender if he was at any of the big three people would be creaming themselves.

Osman at Everton. cracking little player.

Yakubu, powehouse who's selling himself short at 'Boro.

Steed Malbranque, carried Fulham on so many occasions in the past, however his crazy wage demands have stopped clubs moving in for him.

Riise at Liverpool is finally getting some attention from Chelsea, quality player who can really put his foot through the ball.

Robbie Savage, although everyone hates his attitude and the way he acts, he's a very talented player who can easily run for 90 minutes.

Shay Given never puts a foot wrong for Newcastle, has been solid for them for the last ten years.
Brian McBride possibly.
£10m I think it was.
without a doubt Tim Cahill...

came from nowhere with millwall and suddenly became an amazing attacking midfielder who has many abilities and still bags of potential
Reply 6171
think you have been brain washed by Mclaren or like most other people Lampard.

lol, that's fantastic logic.

I dont like Lampard, I think he's a **** and I also think he's over rated and limited as a footballer. That doesnt mean I think he's crap and that doesnt mean I think his world cup form means he should be suddenly dropped. If he carries on like that for chelsea or for england then go for it but at the moment his place in the side is safe.

He has yet to prove himself to me, his form for Spurs isn't exceptional.

Ditto. I dont doubt that he has got FANTASTIC potential but that doesn't mean he's an automatic starter yet. His crossing, for me, isn't upto scratch and he's too much of a one dimensional headless chicken at times. I'm being deliberately harsh there. And thanks to Spurs' awful cup form nor has he proved that he can play more than 1 game a week and when you expend as much energy as he does that'll become an issue.

He's got a lot of talent but it needs to be used and nurtered in the right way. The way McClaren set the side up on Wednesday night is the best option at the moment.
Reply 6172
ledley king. you lot won't believe me cos you don't see him all the time, and despite supporting spurs i'm not actually biased, he's the best defender in the league.
Reply 6173
£9m according to liverpool echo
Reply 6174
Synergetic
Despite being an Arsenal fan - I agree Xavi is an awesome, world-class player - but one not regarded as one of the best midfielders in the world for some reason.

Now here's a suggestion much easier for me to make - Fabregas. Easily the best midfielder in the premiership, but people will say Gerrard or Lampard. Cesc's got it all - watch him guide Arsenal to the CL and Prem double :biggrin:

Thats why Arsenal were so poor away from home last season in the league was it? Fabregas is another kid with bags of potential and is starting to perform but he was missing far too often last season. Not his fault like, he's still a kid so it's to be expected. If anything the kid is massively over hyped.

Under rated? Didi Hamann, Drogba, Toure, Finnan are four that come to mind at the top of my head in the premier league
Falco

Riise at Liverpool is finally getting some attention from Chelsea, quality player who can really put his foot through the ball.

I love Riise.
Juwel
his form for Spurs isn't exceptional.

Yes it is.

I think the current midfield is decent, but if England want to win something, like I've always said, we need penetrative wingers. Surprisingly Downing did pretty well on the left so him and Joe Cole will have that spot covered. I think Lampard should be given a couple more games to show an improvement, if not, Gerarrd should be moved into his favoured central midfield role, with Lennon on the right.
Barca
who do you think is the most underestimated player and why

Me =)
kpg
Under rated? Didi Hamann, Drogba, Toure, Finnan are four that come to mind at the top of my head in the premier league

I wondered if anyone had the balls to say him but if one person were to say him it would have been you. :smile:
Reply 6179
Ross_j
ledley king. you lot won't believe me cos you don't see him all the time, and despite supporting spurs i'm not actually biased, he's the best defender in the league.

King, how could i forget him! :rolleyes: . Me and some mates went to the Norwich v Spurs game at WHL. Darren Huckerby had his shot saved by Robinson, was about to score into the empty net, when out of nowhere Ledley King sprinted through and tackled him.

I've never, ever, seen a defender who's as quick as Ledley King.

Latest