Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by goldenbarnes)
    He played less minutes than Lennon and made more of an impact than he did. Lennon ran past about 3 players then either hit the first man or ballooned it over the other side of the pitch. Against T&T Downing put in an inch perfect cross for Crouch, which for some reason he chose not to attack, and then he played a glorious 60/70 yard diagonal switch ball to Lennon to nod it back to Beckham who floated it in for Crouch's opener, this, at a time in the match when we were playing one-dirmensional slow-paced football.

In his only start for England he set up 3 goals. What more could he have done?
    i dont think he made more of an impact than lennon. ok, maybe i should give him more credit but pascal cygan hits 60/70 yard balls! the game in which downing started was against a poor greece team. they didnt play like european champions that night, i just would have liked to have seen walcott play - 2 games, 2 assists and sven picked downing instead???? i just think people go on and on about him too much when in walcott you can see he has something special from 20 or so minutes of football. maybe im a bit biased but also the fact that downing nearly went to spurs, and im an arsenal fan may fuel my opinion of him. then again its only opinion - and opinions change. I think that many people thought that walcott wasnt up to it - look at all the negative press he got, and then he gets 2 assists in 2 games - speaks volumes!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by gaijin)
    6 months ago when most of the media and fans hated this guy - they could have had him for nothing, nada, zilch.
    no they couldnt. united have been trying to get him the last 3 years, even with bayern saying no and owen then backing them up, except this time, owen actually wants to go but bayern are still saying no.

(Original post by gaijin)
    It really shows on desperate Manchester United are though - and how perceptions of him have been able to change overnight. No-one wanted this guy before the world cup, now everyone is clammering for Owen.
    fergie has always rated hargreaves, as have bayern muncih and he has a tremenoud fanbase in germany. its just tunnel visioned englnad fans who think non prem players are not good enough for the england side.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Froddo)
    hes soooo bad. He had a couple good games at the world cup and now everyone thinks hes the don! Im not a man u supporter but i dont mind man u at all and i cant see how man u will benefit from the player!
    evidently you've never seen him player for bayern, in which case your opinion no validity at all. people dont suddenly think he is good, they have realised how good he is. do you not remember prior to and during the 02 world cup when he was consistently man of the match, only losing his palce when he got injured. just because he got to a point when he was coming on as a sub in the last 20 minutes, which does nothing for his game as he is not a match winner, but a match saver. hargreaves is one of the best midfielders in europe and it astonishes me that english fans cannot recognise or even accept this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcwill)
    nice to see he was making an impact in the world cup then :rolleyes:. i cringed every time i saw him warm up in germany, then he came on the pitch and did absolutely nothing. should have played walcott instead or at least brought lennon on. im not saying that downing is rubbish but he is massively overated though imo.
    yeh. because lampard/gerrard/rooney made the impact we've come to expect from them. may as well drop them and bring in the rest of the under 21 team.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    yeh. because lampard/gerrard/rooney made the impact we've come to expect from them. may as well drop them and bring in the rest of the under 21 team.
    Rooney made the wrong sort of impact, when is he going to learn that england fans are becoming impatient with his toughboy image? lampard made no impact as did gerrard. hargreaves was our best player in the world cup.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcwill)
    Rooney made the wrong sort of impact, when is he going to learn that england fans are becoming impatient with his toughboy image? lampard made no impact as did gerrard. hargreaves was our best player in the world cup.
    gerrard made more of an impact than lampard/rooney combined. but still not like the gerrard we know and love. hargreaves was our best player i agree. but to say downing isnt as good as he is made out to be on teh back of the wc is pointless. lol sven could could get chelsea relegated.

ReputationRep:
    Another Reading supporter here! Great win against 'Boro, shame they lost against Villa...

ReputationRep:
    1. Chelsea
    2. Man Utd
    3. Liverpool
    4. Arsenal
    5. Portsmouth
    6. Newcastle
    7. Spurs

Anything above the relegation zone for Reading would be great... ;laugh;

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jakatak)
    1. sheffield utd
    2. arsenal
    3. chelsea
    4. pompey
    5. spurs
    6. man u
    7. l'pool !
    :hmmmm2: :cheers:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by El Chueco)
    gerrard made more of an impact than lampard/rooney combined. but still not like the gerrard we know and love. hargreaves was our best player i agree. but to say downing isnt as good as he is made out to be on teh back of the wc is pointless. lol sven could could get chelsea relegated.
    or make lazio champions?

ReputationRep:
    Atfer talk of Mendes' trip to hospital, my mind got wandering to footballers who suffered career-ending injuries on the pitch.

Two that come to mind are David Busst and Luc Nilis. Looking at pictures of David Busst's leg still makes me feel a little ill. No surprise that Schmeichel needing counselling after seeing it.

Remember any others?

ReputationRep:
    Roberto DiMatteo (Chelsea), leg broke at the shin. I was watching the match. It swung forward :puke: and you could almost hear the crack. *shudders*

Larsson's broken leg is the worst i've seen. Stuart pearce fractured his leg the once but took it like a man and walked off the pitch- no stretcher.

ReputationRep:
    I regret google image searching both of those!

ReputationRep:
    He plays CB doesnt he..he isnt better than any of the back up four of Terry,Ferdinand,Carragher and King.

ReputationRep:
    Both of Djibs were horrific.

ReputationRep:
    Big Lucas taking out Jamie Carragher was a pretty nice one...

ReputationRep:
    Henrik Larsson and Djibril Cisse's (x2) leg breaks were all disgusting.

(Original post by ciderpeter)
    Big Lucas taking out Jamie Carragher was a pretty nice one...
    Yep the nasty little w***** did Jamie's leg in badly also.

ReputationRep:
    "nice" hmmmm :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    I loved the way on that one Lucas still used the "what the ****, i didnt touch him, i won the ball"... despite the fact Jamie's leg was bent at some wierd angle.

Then the other game that season didnt he get sent off for taking Sinema Pongolle? Although there was actually very little if any contact if i remember rightly?

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.