The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

I know I can't believe it :frown:, I guess like Coppell said though we've done as well as he'd expect and considering we have won a game we aren't doing too badly considering how new we are and if you look at Watford and Sheff as well!
Reply 6461
What's the beef with Bellamy and Kuyt, I think there good signings and definitely make us a better team in terms of providing pace and strength to the attacking lin. Kuyt really impressed me on debut too.
I'm sorry, but someone was going to do it eventually. Although there's no denying that they are the two defining images of the tournament.

Reply 6463
No beef... I am just obsessed with Crouch. Teehee! :biggrin:

As you can see, most of my memories are of violence, injury and despair. Shame really.
Why should those of us following championship clubs be made to suffer becase of others ineptness??? If the FA decide he's not good enough 4 the premiership, he should be suspended.
Reply 6467
lol remember graham pool in the word cup? three yellow cards for one player... wat a joke
Reply 6468
:frown: abysmal start for arsenal.......
two 'should've-won' games.. we are good enough but as much as it pains me to say, wenger got it wrong.....
Reply 6469
In response to Onearmedbandit, The daylight "rule" regarding offsides is redundant. It was never a rule, rather a recommendation to linesmen on how to judge offsides. This was blown out of the water by the directive FIFA issued regarding offsides that players are only caught offside if explicitely interfering in play or gaining an unfair advantage.

As for video refereeing, I am for it in principle, but you must remember that in any half of the average top-level football match the ball is only in play for less than half an hour anyway.

One for you to think about: it has been suggested that we borrow an idea from American sports, known as challenging the play. In America, this is where the manager of either side has a red flag available to him, and if he disagrees with a major decision he can throw the red flag onto the field to indicate that he is challenging the play. When this is done, the incident is reviewed by a video referee and the decision is corrected if it was wrong in the first place. Each manager is allowed one challenge per game. This works well enough in America as their sports are very stop-start in nature, they are more interruption-friendly and do not flow in the same manner as football. But if each manager was only allowed one challenge per game this wouldn't hurt the flow of the game so much.

What do we think?
Nima
Fergie needs a striker or a creative midfielder. Carrick and Hargreaves do similar roles, hence why Carrick and Hargreaves were interchangeable in the World Cup. Paying 40 million for these two is a waste of money.

Carrick is a creative midfielder. Why do you think everyone rates his passing so highly? IIRC he had more assists last season than Gerrard or Lampard.

The two WEREN'T interchangable for England in the WC, the pundits just seemed to think that for some bizarre reason. Carrick is an extremely poor tackler compared to Hargreaves. As a comparison to the AC Milan (and Italy) midfield pairing, Carrick is fairly similar to Pirlo and Hargreaves is more like Gattuso.

have some of you EVER seen Carrick play?

also, Hargreaves has always been excellent. You don't become a regular (and very important) player for bayern munich if you're crap. He won Bayern's player of the season last year, ahead of the likes of Ballack.
Reply 6471
il start off with a young lad at maccelsfield town called jordan hadfield, tough tackling centre mid, a real hard man, will be in the premiership within 2 years
also the lad at city sturrock looks a real prospect!!
Reply 6472
David Jones
Reply 6473
yeh, he looks a good player, taking longer to develop than at first thought but looked good at antwerp last season and at nec in holland
hopefully he can break into the first team
naismith at kilmarnock
spot the arsenal fan who found only knows of naismsith because wenger got him down to the emirates for a few trainign sessions...
Reply 6476
still waiting to see freddy adu in action...
and those spanish (i think) imports... fran merida, dos santos, vela...
Reply 6477
Adu must be about 25 now! ive heard about him all my life!..
Reply 6478
lol true
where the hell is he?
Reply 6479
matty fryat the next big thing

Latest