Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    Thank God Spanish football isn't on Eurosport - their coverage is awful. I would put it on a par with Channel 5!

ReputationRep:
    If I'm picking the team it goes like this:

Robinson
    Neville, Terry, Ferdinand, A Cole
    Gerrard, Hargreaves, Carrick, J Cole
    Rooney, Owen

World class in every position. That explains why Aaron Lennon isn't in this team; ditto Peter Crouch, any other candidate for the right back position, Ledley King and Stewart Downing. That's not to say that won't all change in 18 months. I'm sticking with Michael Owen, his scoring record cannot be ignored and every team in the world would be relieved to see him out of the team. And bear in mind that five of Crouch's ten international goals came against Jamaica and Andorra.

ReputationRep:
    Wes Brown used to look like a baked bean before he got himself some hair.

ReputationRep:
    owen's scoring record cannot be ignored, but crouchy's can? hypocrite. and if crouch's goals were so easy to come by, why did no-one else get them?

we were world class in every position at the world cup. didnt work. maybe finding a world class team, as mclaren is doing, is the better option?

ReputationRep:
    And I believe the team I chose is a world class team. Certianly the defence and front two have been proven as such. And if the midfield four do the job they've been doing so well recently then the whole team ought to be a well-oiled goal creating, hard to beat machine.

And as for the forwards, I reckon Crouch's scoring record will even out against tougher opposition. Owen's has been established over a few dozen games. Besides, the way Crouch plays, dropping deep to get involved in the play, I see him as the second option to Rooney.

ReputationRep:
    your playing a very narrow midfield tho. anybody who play last-season-chelsea-style wingers & long ball would take all of our midfield bar hargreaves out of the game.

edit: mclaren was shouting the whole game to get play out wide, that midfield you volunteered goes agaisnt what mclaren seems to be wanting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by LH)
    Why play Gerrard on the right when he's most effective in the centre and vice-versa with Lennon?
    Has Gerrard not been playing right wing for Liverpool for a couple years though, and he's been the main man there!

As for Beckham right back......erm.....no! The only argument for keeping him in the team is his excellent crossing, and quite frankly, that is not the purpose of a right back.

ReputationRep:
    Yes, I see that now. Can we trust Gerrard and Joe Cole to offer us the width with which this England squad seems to play best? Certainly under Sven Eriksson playing through teams in the middle of the park was a big problem, as it inevitably will against world class defences. If my team relies on support from the full backs to provide width in attack, I reckon it can rely on Hargreaves and Carrick providing defensive cover.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)
    Has Gerrard not been playing right wing for Liverpool for a couple years though, and he's been the main man there!
    I still think he's most effective in the centre. But my point was why play Gerrard on the right and Lennon in the centre when their natural positions are the opposites? Lennon would be much less effective in the middle.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alex Mann)

As for Beckham right back......erm.....no! The only argument for keeping him in the team is his excellent crossing, and quite frankly, that is not the purpose of a right back.
    Exactly. Besides Gary Neville has improved his crossing immensly since Beckham went to Real Madrid. I never thought I'd say this as I was always a staunch defender of Becks but I think we have no use for him in McClaren's England team :eek:

ReputationRep:
    Indeed. Playing Lennon in the centre would be rather redundant. For me, I think where Gerrard plays depends on who is in better form: Lampard or Lennon. If Lampard is better, then Gerrrard plays right....if Lennon is better, Gerrard plays centre.

ReputationRep:
    I think it's incredible how Hargreaves has turned his situation around, looking at the teamsheet now he is probably one of the first names to be put down.

Previously Lampard and Gerrard would be played ahead of him and now in some peoples eyes it's fitting those two in around Hargreaves. I even think he could possibly be our most important player now.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    And bear in mind that five of Crouch's ten international goals came against Jamaica and Andorra.
    Which is were Good Strikers bolster their goal scoring record. Do you think all of Owens goals were against World class opposition?
    On current form you cannot possibly leave Crouch out of the squad. What has Owen done in the last 2 years to prove himself a starting place in the England squad? Scored 8 goals for NUFC and then got injured, great.
    Oh, and i think people over-exagerate Rooneys importance to England

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Yes, I see that now. Can we trust Gerrard and Joe Cole to offer us the width with which this England squad seems to play best? Certainly under Sven Eriksson playing through teams in the middle of the park was a big problem, as it inevitably will against world class defences. If my team relies on support from the full backs to provide width in attack, I reckon it can rely on Hargreaves and Carrick providing defensive cover.
    i wouldnt rely on joe cole in the left wing role. bring him into lampards position as imho he is a better attacking mid, stick downing out left. gerrard and neville can provide wing work on the right, and with hargreaves staying back, gerrard has free rein almost. works fantastically for liverpool with finnan and sissoko.

ReputationRep:
    My England squad

Robinson
    Neville,Terry, Ferdinand, Cashley
    Walcott, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Lennon
    Owen, Rooney

Think Walcott would do a better job than Downing, hes quicker and has a better cross, imo.
    I dont like Crouch very much either, he can only do headers really but i suppose he has a good goalscoring record for England, although remeber when he couldn't hit a hippo's a**e for Liverpool! Also reading this morning that Crouch can be England's all time lead goalscorer :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lewisdoe)
    Previously Lampard and Gerrard would be played ahead of him and now in some peoples eyes it's fitting those two in around Hargreaves. I even think he could possibly be our most important player now.
    Steady now. I would still pick Gerrard ahead of him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Which is were Good Strikers bolster their goal scoring record. Do you think all of Owens goals were against World class opposition?
    On current form you cannot possibly leave Crouch out of the squad. What has Owen done in the last 2 years to prove himself a starting place in the England squad? Scored 8 goals for NUFC and then got injured, great.
    Oh, and i think people over-exagerate Rooneys importance to England
    By the time Owen is back and we are stuck into the qualifiers, Crouch wont be scoring a hat trick every game and Owen can slot back in.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by afcwill)
    My England squad

Robinson
    Neville,Terry, Ferdinand, Cashley
    Walcott, Gerrard, Hargreaves, Lennon
    Owen, Rooney

Think Walcott would do a better job than Downing, hes quicker and has a better cross, imo.
    I dont like Crouch very much either, he can only do headers really but i suppose he has a good goalscoring record for England, although remeber when he couldn't hit a hippo's a**e for Liverpool! Also reading this morning that Crouch can be England's all time lead goalscorer :rofl:
    don't be stupid.

edit: englands best young right winger prospect is sat in the liverpool academy (ex-hull academy) wlacott hasnt proven himself as a international level striker yet, and we are already kciking out established players for him?

ReputationRep:
    Alex - that's fair enough but players like Hargreaves who play in that Makelelelelelelelelelele slot are invaluable, depeding on whom England were playing could determine whether Lampard and Gerrard are playing for one slot.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Certainly not all of them. I just don't want a situation that Portugal have with Pauleta: best all-time goalscorer for Portugal, but useless at the World Cup = a destroyer of minnows. Though a good performance against Macedonia away will revise my opinion on Crouchinho, being the man in occupation and doing it well.

And I agree that we overstate Wayne Rooney's importance to England. He isn't quite as effective as he is for United, but I think that's becuse at Old Trafford you've got two proper wingers high up the pitch pinning defences back, a central midfielder actually making plays in a very advanced position, allowing Rooney to be in and around the box where he does his best work. This isn't likely to happen for England: we more often see Rooney dropping deep or going wide.

Poll
Do you have a role model?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.