Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by walshie)
    Brazil have the dodgiest back 4 ever!
    I think it could have been England had it not been for injuries.

- England
    - Argentina
    - Holland
    - Brazil
    - Germany
    - France
    and England have sol cambell GREAT:rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    and England have sol cambell GREAT:rolleyes:
    Sol Cambell hopefully won't be going to the world cup!
    I'd rather have Terry and Ferdinand thank you. Carragher, King, anyone other than Sol at the moment. He's been playing terrible. What an argument lol!
    Our back 4 versus Brazil's - not hard really! :rolleyes:

(Original post by Mortimer)
    a half rooney is jus gna b taking up space, take a young fit lad who will give his best!
    Not all the England squad play. To include Lennon (although he has been playing well) in the squad will probably end up with him not playing).
    Rooney if fit, will.

Its a bad knock. I just hope England find the strength in midfield to dictate and boss the upper central area which Rooney was magnificent at.

ReputationRep:
    I bet Brazil's back four score more goals than most teams attacks

And I am so routing for Beattie to play with Owen up front. No he doesn't have immense pace, but he is so good at hitting the target. With the right wing service, he could be stand-out. But I won't see it happen, I bet

(Original post by Mortimer)
    take a young fit lad... beattie?
    :rofl:

Its a bad knock. I just hope England find the strength in midfield to dictate and boss the upper central area which Rooney was magnificent at.
    Aye, might as well take him on the off chance. If we do need to fill that role, there are numerous ways of doing it. I couldn't give a **** if people start going off, but play Peter Crouch alongside a striker. This allows us to push up one of our (very attacking minded) midfielders into more advanced positions, as long as there's someone clearing the lines.

A midfield four of J Cole, Carrick, Gerrard and Beckham is as tactically strong as I can think of; the only thing better than a boisterous Rooney, is a torn-shirt, bare-chested, rampaging Gerrard.

ReputationRep:
    Hope Defoe gets a good shot up front since Rooney's not going. The thing I like it about Defoe is that he plays with no fear-- any site of goal and he'll hit the target.
    But the poorer parts to his game are link up play (improved much this season), and Owen and Defoe aren't exactly the tallest strike duo in world football. We're in a spot of trouble up front because it remains to be seen whether Owen can hit top form.
    I would personally like to see Joe Cole play behind Owen just in front of the midfield in Rooney's role, he's scored plenty and has good runs at people. But then there's noone for the left.

Midfield from left to right: Cole Carrick Lampard Gerrard
    Becks should be benched!
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    TSR Support Team
    one player doesn't make a team, same with Brazil if Ronaldinho got injured i'm sure they could still win it like us.

ReputationRep:
    good post.. yea Rooney is a great player.. but we have so many of them!

We won games before Rooney, and we can win games again...

ReputationRep:
    Totally Vicky. So true... In fact, some striking partners might even work better with Owen, or it might allow a more attacking style of midfield play to flourish.

As it says in the life of Brian. Always look on the bright side of life... *whistle solo*

ReputationRep:
    jusfarhan, i agree, the press are going overboard, but to describe it as 'moronic, idiotic and stupid' is too harse, considering the fact that we havent got one striker in terms of quality and skill that even compares to rooney. Look at what happenned in portugal, he played outstandingly, we need him again and the press displaying this, although i will agree that implying we cant win it without rooney is unfair on the players, fans and everyone involved.

ReputationRep:
    The fact that we wont have Rooney will drive players to up their game, and we may also see others flourish and surprise everyone.
    Its a case of giving others a chance to prove themselves.
    It was unfair on Rooney himself having so much coverage as that would have put him under immense pressure into having to perform.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by w8wizz)
    England have a good chance of winning, but they arent the favourites with or without roony.

in my opinion,
    brazil
    argentina
    spain
    holland
    england
    czech
    france
    italia
    Your list is good, but Spain?!
    I'd put Italy much further up, England above Holland and move Czech further down. Nedved is ageing and the other guys (Rosicky and Co) aren't as good as other teams above.
    Where the heck is Germany?

Rooney or no Rooney, not making it to the last 4 would be POOR.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Economist)
    Crouch cant do as good a job as Rooney

He is the flair in the England team, without him we are very passive. I know some people are reacting like it is the end of the world but there are also people who are neglecting it when it will make a big difference. Crouch for top goal scorer? Lets hope so!
    You've totally missed the point. With or without Rooney, England have a squad of some very fine players. The reaction is typical of this country and to be honest, Gerrard's comments were a bit embrassing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl1982)
    one player doesn't make a team, same with Brazil if Ronaldinho got injured i'm sure they could still win it like us.
    Yes but brazil have good backup players. If Ronaldinho got injured then Juninho Pernambucano would play instead. A world class replacement. For England, Rooney gets injured, up steps Crouch or Bent....

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ba_ba1)
    Yes but brazil have good backup players. If Ronaldinho got injured then Juninho Pernambucano would play instead. A world class replacement. For England, Rooney gets injured, up steps Crouch or Bent....
    Doesnt totally ruin England's chances though does it? Owen, Cole, Gerrard, Lampard, Beckham, Ferdinand (...), Terry, Neville, Ashley Cole (probably) and Paul Robinson still left. A fantastic team. And if they cant get past the group without Rooney they deserve feck all.

The hype doesn't help anyone. If he comes back and breaks down it will be a huge let down. If he comes back but cant do anything extra it'll be the same. If he doesnt come back at all there will be a huge amount of un-necessary negativity around the squad and it already started with foolish comments from the likes of Gerrard. It's not as if Rooney needed any extra hype or motivation to play the best he can.

ReputationRep:
    With Rooney: P29 W17 D4 L8
    Without Rooney: P8 W7 D1 L0

ReputationRep:
    ba_ba is correct in saying we don't have world class back ups at up-front level. Peter Crouch cannot be considered world class. I always thought of Crouch as someone we could bring on to cause slight trouble, never a solid striker :eek:

We need to talk Shearer out of retirement.

We do have a bad strike force when you think about it. Really, we only have Owen who is an out-and out striker. Lets just hope and pray.

ReputationRep:
    LOL @ shrek.

and [email protected] you boys and your football.

hehe.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl1982)
    one player doesn't make a team,
    unless of course that one player is Diego Maradona

ReputationRep:
    England capable of winning the World Cup?
    Not a chance.

ReputationRep:
    ba_ba is correct in saying we don't have world class back ups at up-front level. Peter Crouch cannot be considered world class. I always thought of Crouch as someone we could bring on to cause slight trouble, never a solid striker :eek:

We need to talk Shearer out of retirement.

We do have a bad strike force when you think about it. Really, we only have Owen who is an out-and out striker. Lets just hope and pray.
    Dude, you've totally missed the point. I could write a whole essay in reply to your post, luckily for everyones sake, I won't :p:

You're talking about World class back-ups, who says we need two upfront?

If you think two upfront is essential, what about Gerrard? That'd fix the midfield fiasco of Lampard and Gerrard having to play together.

There are so many different types of players. Rooney, Owen, Crouch, Bent, Defoe, they're all different in their own way.

If you stick Crouch up there, he offers something different. You may think the +s of Rooney are more than the +s of Crouch in terms of what they offer.

Ever thought what the differences for Liverpool in the league this season is compared to last? Crouch is one of them.

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

This forum is supported by:
Updated: December 11, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.