The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 7160
Ashley is a little runt for sure but he's not the first greedy man in football and won't be the last.

When Liverpool play chelsea i'd rather concentrate my efforts on my own team rather than being side tracked by someone like Cole
Currently live in Berkshire, moving to Coventry at the end of the month and I support West Brom. So I'm getting closer to the Hawthorns anyway.
Reply 7163
I really cant wait for the France game, its magic being a Scotland fan now, we will most likely not win but at least the passion and pride are back.

I think Uncle Walter should be a bit bolder with his selection but its pretty hard to critiscise him really.

My team would be

Craig Gordon

Gary Naismith, Mark Wilson, Russell Anderson, Andy Webster

James Mcfadden, Chris Burke, Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, Paul Hartley

Kris Boyd,

Thats a pretty young team but its not half bad compared to the dire Dougie Freedman years.

I think Russell Anderson has to be given a go, the guy gets man of the match every week and has more pace than Davie Weir and Steven Pressley
maybe so but davie weir is a quality player. pressley i dont like so drop him.

Yes the Dougie Freedman years were atrocious, i dont know what he was thinking.

I think we should play...

Craig Gordon

Gary Naysmith or Stevie Smith, David Weir, TBA, Phil Bardsley

Paul Hartley, Darren Fletcher, Barry Ferguson, Chris Burke

Kris Boyd, Kenny Miller

Cant be long till Steven Naimsith becomes a top striker though
PL Sat 16th and Sun 17th Sept posted :biggrin:
Reply 7166
Too right about Naismith, he is gonna be a great player, not sure what his best position is
Reply 7167
numero sept
But the players were largely the same. Collins, McAllister, Hendry etc. played in both!

yes. That is true, but those players were in their peak at 96.

It's like saying about the Man Utd team of 99 and 2002. Same players, not the ability.
I have an small issue with your post Juwel. I am an Arsenal fan and i would never EVER boo any football player, i think its a cowardly thing to do. We all know that Cashley is a greedy little s***, whose only motivation is money - what can chelski give him that we can't? We could have given him more money but didn't and good on us for sticking to our morals. We all think his attitude stinks but i think chelski are just as bad, they performed a sly act in approaching cole when he was still under contract. chelsea think that they are above the law because they have money, a more suitable punishment should have been a deduction of points as abramovich can easily cough up the money that is handed out. If you hate Cashley then boycott his book - he is doing that to make stacks of cash, the more books he sells the more money he makes so if he sells no books he gets no cash bonuses. Whereas if he plays for chelsea he still gets paid regardless of how many times you boo him. Dont get me wrong, i dont like cole but i must say he always gives 100% when he wore the arsenal shirt and his arrogant antics off the pitch can never erase the fact he is a great player. But one thing i find really puzzling about your post is how can you boo ANY england player. If cole is wearing an england shirt i'll cheer him on like i would any other player because when he wears that england shirt, he plays for england, its england's badge on the shirt not chelsea's. I cant imagine you'd be well recieved in the england section booing an england player anyway, sometimes the booing fan is a lot worse than the a******e on the pitch.
He went to the same secondary school as me :hmmm:
Reply 7170
How about you save your energy and put it into something useful like going down to your bank and making a donation to the family left behind by a player who lost his life just playing the game. Or is that not quite petty enough for your liking?
Ashley Cole is a spolit little child, who threw his toys out the pram just because he wouldn't get his own way, he gives football a bad name.
He has definiatly installed alot of optimism, they may just make it to Euro 2008 this time.
Reply 7173
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Lithuania and the Faroe Islands arent going to get anywhere.

Fair play it's an excellent start, but they've still got two games against Italy, France and Ukraine to play, aswell as Georgia which won't be easy.
I was there at the faroes game and thought that the side looked massively improved especially the strikers (but not as good as when they beat bulgaria or norway for that matter).

I think walter has done a great job to the start of this campaign, but I still think he messed up big time with the "must win game" against Belerus at the end of last campaign when he played 1 up front. I hope we dont see a repeat of this in the euro quals.

I cant wait to see what happens against France, if he plays a good formation and contains france (similar to Italy last year), and maybe nicks a goal or two, then I will say that he has done a remarkable Job, if not then the last two games have just been flukes against very poor opponants (altho I personally believe Lithuania are a pretty decent team).

I still think we need to give Walt some time and see where we end up in quals this time round, get a good UEFA coefficient rating to take us into the third seeds for WC 2010 quals, and maybe give us a chance of that.

Anyways, should be fun, roll on October 9th.

PS good to see some folk on TSR talking about the National team on here.

BTW whats your thoughts on who should replace Miller up front, gotta boyd and Faddy just behind for me, maybe give Burke a try out. Sounds daft but ild like to also see Paul Dicov Bought back in, I reckon he'll give the french defense an absolute nighmare. Also at the back, someone should be looking to replace Christian "cheats, f**king cheats" Dailly. Whats your thoughts on bringing Robbie Neilson in?
Reply 7175
Johnson does seem to be well worth the 8.6m paid - in fact it seems a bit of a steal at present - however personally i am just as impressed with Joleon Lescott - i recon Everton could quite easily without having any of the individual best, have the most solid central defensive partnership of Yobo and Lescott and the most potent goal scoring partnership of Johnson and Beatie.
We'll see - but Saturday, apart from being my birthday was the most satisfying 90 mins of football since...well i guess the previous prem encounter with Spurs.... COYB
Reply 7176
I've already done a post on the most underestimated player and now I think its time to see who we think is the most overrated.

I think it is David Beckham, sure he can cross a ball from time to time but thats all he does
Fat frank :p:
P
i recon Everton could quite easily without having any of the individual best, have the most solid central defensive partnership of Yobo and Lescott and the most potent goal scoring partnership of Johnson and Beatie.

Lets not get crazy now. Lescott hasn't started ****ing up just yet but he will eventually, and there are definitely better central defensive and striking partnerships out there.
Lovejoy
Lets not get ahead of ourselves here. Lithuania and the Faroe Islands arent going to get anywhere.
Need I point out that Lithuania managed to get a draw with Italy? OK, they won't qualify, but they still managed to take two points away from the reigning world champions. It'll be a miracle if the Faroes manage to get a draw or two, let alone a win, but Lithuania can cause an upset or two (as they've already shown)

Fair play it's an excellent start, but they've still got two games against Italy, France and Ukraine to play, aswell as Georgia which won't be easy.
I'm sure the same was said about Greece in Euro 2004 (going up against France, Czech Republic and Portugal), and look what happened there :wink:
I perhaps should also note that Lithuania, who Scotland beat, are ranked 19 places above Georgia...fair enough, the FIFA rankings may be a crap way of judging team ability, but since 2000 Georgia have only been above Scotland in the rankings for two months (in July/August 2002) and they're now 44 places apart. So long as Scotland don't get overconfident, they shouldn't have much of a problem with Georgia (think about Northern Ireland's upsets - Spain and England underestimated their opponents and suffered the consequences)

Latest