Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    Looking for safe hands to join a new team in the MMU league, playing on wednesdays at 2pm on Hough End Playing Fields. Team is made up of various friends and contacts, and we are all just getting to know each other. We are looking for a steady, hopefully experienced goalkeeper. Team won first match and may have bright future, we are not over competitive but nobody likes to loose!

PM for more details.

ReputationRep:
    I'm bucking the trend. Ronaldinho.

And I have more respect and admiration for Ronaldinho than Thierry Henry.

ReputationRep:
    I love watching Henry play...

ReputationRep:
    Henry without doubt.

ReputationRep:
    Gerrard's better than either

ReputationRep:
    Everyone is going by the WC! Ronaldinho and Lampard didn't perform, doesn't make them worse players! They will have other WCs. They perform week in week out, just like Henry and Gerrard, and are both alongside them. I've always said Henry but how can it be by a long way? Ronaldinho performs every champions league game aswell, and is the most influential player at the best club in the world, and for the best country in the world. Barca should buy Gerrard and Henry...then we'd see:P

ReputationRep:
    Lampard might not have another world cup. If he does it's his last one.

ReputationRep:
    :|

ReputationRep:
    Ronaldinho.

ReputationRep:
    Hendinho

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by moreiniho)
    Who is better, the French King or the Brazilian God? Henry is surely better.
    Louis XIV? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    Thierry Henry

I dont see much of Ronaldinho, but i heard he hant been able to reach the heights of last season, whereas Henry has been amazingly consistent in his entire time at Arsenal.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Carl1982)
    Isn't it like a group league then like the top four play off for the title along with the top four in another group. I think it needs to be a format like the Premier League over here then again don't think there is enough teams.
    Yeah...this is typical of many American sports - they divide the top league into different "conferences". In the case of MLS, this gives you the Western Conference (consisting of C.D. Chivas USA, Colorado Rapids, FC Dallas, Houston Dynamo, LA Galaxy and Real Salt Lake) and the Eastern Conference (consisting of Chicago Fire, Columbus Crew, D.C. United, Kansas City Wizards, New England Revolution and Red Bull New York)...within each conference, each team plays each opponent within their conference four times (twice at home, twice away), and they play two games against teams from the other conference, finishing off the league with a grand total of 32 games played.
    Once that's done, the top four teams from each conference then qualify for an 8-team knockout tournament to determine the MLS winner.

It's ridiculous and unnecessarily complex, but it's how quite a few US sports work (baseball has the same thing, with Western, Central and Eastern conferences, with the teams going onto the playoffs after the league phase)

ReputationRep:
    Never watched it (much more into NFL/MLB) but jus wandering do they have draws in MLS??? Cos Americans dont like draws(none in NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL).

Cmon Bears/Mets!!!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Pocoyo)
    Never watched it (much more into NFL/MLB) but jus wandering do they have draws in MLS??? Cos Americans dont like draws(none in NFL/MLB/NBA/NHL).

Cmon Bears/Mets!!!!
    Yes, games can end in a draw in the MLS...as far as I know, only the Japanese J-League will go into extra time if a league game ends in a draw.

ReputationRep:
    ^ They used to have those crap shootouts if it ended in a draw, where the players would be 1 on 1 with the goalie, starting from the halfway line. Not sure if they still do though. FWIW, I think it's a crap league.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dalimyr)
    It's ridiculous and unnecessarily complex, but it's how quite a few US sports work (baseball has the same thing, with Western, Central and Eastern conferences, with the teams going onto the playoffs after the league phase)
    Actually the system is borne out of necessity. Remember that the land mass of America is considerably larger than most countries. So if every team in the US had to play in one round robin, getting to away games would be a nightmare. As it is, teams in all sports in America have a hard enough time getting away support. And then of course the playoff system is used to bring the country's best teams against each other and legitimise the national-ness of the national championship.

Consider also the Eredivisie (the Dutch league) which has recently introduced a playoff system of allocating European places. Champion gets one Champions League place; joined by the winner of playoffs between 2nd, 3rd, 4th and 5th. The loser of the playoff final, and the winner of the game between the defeated semi-finalists, joins the Cup champions in UEFA Cup competition. Further playoffs are used to determine the remaining Dutch UEFA Cup entry and the Intertoto Cup entry (won't go into this; a Wiki search of the Eredivisie should explain). Now while this means second place could conceivably enter the Intertoto Cup, and there are more games, it makes for an exciting end-of-season, where even mid-table teams have something to play for instead of wallowing in their mediocrity.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EPD)
    ^ They used to have those crap shootouts if it ended in a draw, where the players would be 1 on 1 with the goalie, starting from the halfway line. Not sure if they still do though.
    That's a lot like ice hockey...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by EPD)
    ^ They used to have those crap shootouts if it ended in a draw, where the players would be 1 on 1 with the goalie, starting from the halfway line. Not sure if they still do though. FWIW, I think it's a crap league.
    This did used to happen in the early days of the MLS, not any more. I suggest that it's acceptable in ice hockey where it's harder to score from a single shot against a prepared goalie. Not my cup of tea for the footie.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Juwel)
    Actually the system is borne out of necessity. Remember that the land mass of America is considerably larger than most countries. So if every team in the US had to play in one round robin, getting to away games would be a nightmare.
    I wasn't referring to the fact that they're in east/west conferences - I was referring to the playoffs and the seemingly random decision that the teams play games against opposition from the other conference during the season. I've got no qualms at all about having Western/Eastern Conferences because of the size of the US.

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.