The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

calderstonesLFC
Are you stupid, or on a wind up? Why are you embarassed?
He has scored 2 more than Rooney since Euro 2004, and has 5 goals in 7 games which is a fantastic record. What is your reason behind being embarassed?
Rooney should not just waltz into the team the second he can kick a ball straight, he has not proved anything during the qualifiers to me that warrants him an automatic place. Crouch has earnt his place with good performances in every game.
You really are ****ing clueless at times, please tell me why you are embarassed our third choice striker is crouch.

Im not on a wind up.

Dont get me wrong, I like Crouch, he offers something different and think he should be 3rd choice but we should really have someone of superior quality to resort to when a 1st choice striker is injured.

It's more embarrassment that we dont have any strength in depth.
justfarhan
Wow, you know nothing about anything whatsoever.

And you do? Calling a team a disgrace because there was one instance of diving and yet you support a team with the best player who seems to be diving around a lot these days.
Fair play to Crouch one of his goals yesterday was very good.

Still, I would put him about 6th choice up front for England if everybody was fit.
Reply 883
Economist
I completely agree, we dont have any strength in depth and its embarrassing we have to resort to starting Crouch. We are 2nd favourites in the betting yet Crouch wouldnt be the best player in a Toga team. I compared it to Brazil because our players should be comparable to theirs, Crouch isnt.

Why come out with **** like this and then later say you actually like crouch? ****ing pointless.

And the best players do not always win cup tournaments, thats why they are so difficult to win. Look at Porto and Monaco in the final, Look at Liverpool,Look at Arsenal, look at Greece. Listen to Rafa Benitez babble on about tables and legs. The squad needs to be balanced, it needs to have stars but also less talented players who can fill in and give that balance. People who fit the system the manager wants to play and improve the team. Crouch isnt a better player than Morientes, a case can be made that Baros and Cisse were better players but he plays the role asked of his manager far better which is why he's been a success at Liverpool.

You also say Crouch should be 3rd choice but shouldnt fill in to start when an injury happens :confused:
People only think crouch is **** because he is tall and lanky. He is a good international standard striker. He's not world class, but he causes problems against the best teams.
dan

Still, I would put him about 6th choice up front for England if everybody was fit.

Care to explain why?
I cant think of who you would have ahead of him..
Bent..Ridiculously similar to Owen and not really needed.
Defoe..Cant even start for Spurs
Rooney..Ok, although rooneys only scored twice in 12 games since Euro 2004
Beattie..Had his chance and choked, crouch has performed when it matters
Owen..Ok
From stuff I've been reading, mainly in the media, it seems as though people are underestimating Paraguay. They have a decent pedegree in the WC in the last few tournaments and have some good players. Santa Cruz and Valdez will cause Terry and Rio major problems imo...then you have Barreto, Acuna and Paredes who are the midfield pitbulls (Barreto is quite technical also). And off the bench you have trickster Cuevas and target-man Cardozo. The defense is probably the weakest link and I think Owen can get at Gamarra if he starts, however. I would hazard a guess that Paraguay will finish second in the group.
calderstonesLFC

crouch has performed when it matters

We don't know that yet. We'll find out on June 10th and beyond.

Rooney has done it on the biggest stages and there's a lot more to his game than goals. You've even admitted that you find it difficult to support the Man U players in an England shirt- it's no surprise that you would criticise him.

I would guess that your opinion would change if he was a L'pool player. It's not his fault Keane has been our player of the season.
Klinsmannic
We don't know that yet. We'll find out on June 10th and beyond.

True, but he has still performed when given the chance.
Klinsmannic

Rooney has done it on the biggest stages and there's a lot more to his game than goals.

A bit like Crouch then..
Klinsmannic

I would guess that your opinion would change if he was a L'pool player. It's not his fault Keane has been our player of the season.

It would change if he was getting regular games at anfield
calderstonesLFC
True, but he has still performed when given the chance.

Indeed he has. But there's a step up in pressure, quality of opponents and mental fatigue at the WC. Jamaica and Hungary, no offense to them, are defensively naive.

A bit like Crouch then..

Then why just bring up goals?

It would change if he was getting regular games at anfield

I would expect people to back their own players, and I'm no different; I think Defoe has been dealt an unfair hand. Scores a great goal in the Poland Qualifier then gets 10 mins here and there. It's irrelevant if he can't get into the Spurs team, it doesn't mean he's any less talented...just a matter of other players suiting the system better. Keane and Mido were a better partnership for our system. If Crouch starts ahead of Fowler, it doesn't mean Fowler is any less of a player, just that he's less suited to the system.
World Cup games posted in Predictions for first week. :biggrin:
kpg
Why come out with **** like this and then later say you actually like crouch? ****ing pointless.

And the best players do not always win cup tournaments, thats why they are so difficult to win. Look at Porto and Monaco in the final, Look at Liverpool,Look at Arsenal, look at Greece. Listen to Rafa Benitez babble on about tables and legs. The squad needs to be balanced, it needs to have stars but also less talented players who can fill in and give that balance. People who fit the system the manager wants to play and improve the team. Crouch isnt a better player than Morientes, a case can be made that Baros and Cisse were better players but he plays the role asked of his manager far better which is why he's been a success at Liverpool.

You also say Crouch should be 3rd choice but shouldnt fill in to start when an injury happens :confused:

Jeez, whats the point in me posting if you dont read it. My argument is less of a dig at Crouch than a dig at us having no strength in depth. The fact is Rooney is world class, Crouch isnt. Rooney should walk back in the team when he is fit and that was my original point.

You Scousers are soo protective over your own players it unbelievable, Crouch is at any other club and you would be laughing but since he plays for you he is suddenly the best thing since slice bread.
Economist
Crouch is at any other club and you would be laughing but since he plays for you he is suddenly the best thing since slice bread.

I wouldn't be laughing at any player who scores 5 in 3 games for England.
He is one of the best chances England have got of progressing far in this WC. How do you think the Brazil defenders are going to cope?
Klinsmannic

Then why just bring up goals?

Because people, when using the argument that crouch is **** point to his goals tally every single time. No matter how many times i repeat the point about it being more than just goals.
People should really stop attacking Crouch. Though I don't think scoring 3 against jamaica is that much of a feat, he has proven that he's got a good touch and can hold his own in an england shirt. He is a good REPLACEMENT for rooney with what we have at the moment and can do well in the WC.
Economist
And you do? Calling a team a disgrace because there was one instance of diving and yet you support a team with the best player who seems to be diving around a lot these days.
So, you're expecting me to change who I support?
Reply 896
calderstonesLFC
Care to explain why?
I cant think of who you would have ahead of him..
Bent..Ridiculously similar to Owen and not really needed.
Beattie..Had his chance and choked, crouch has performed when it matters
Owen..Ok

Rooney shouldn't even be on that list, it's silly. He brings to the squad more than goals, he's such a threat and he can turn games. He turns England from a good team into a very good team. Crouch isn't in that league, yes he scored a hat-trick against a poor Jamaican side in a friendly, and? Rooney plays a deeper role in a 4-4-1-1 and it's quite visible the amount of assists he creates.

If everybody is fit, the automatic choices are Owen and Rooney.
Featherflare
People should really stop attacking Crouch. Though I don't think scoring 3 against jamaica is that much of a feat, he has proven that he's got a good touch and can hold his own in an england shirt. He is a good REPLACEMENT for rooney with what we have at the moment and can do well in the WC.

Yet neither fat frank nor Owen (currently Englands top scorer in the squad) failed to score a hatrick :p:
Scoring 3 as a team against the likes Jamaica may be no great feat but for any individual on the world stage, imo is impressive :smile:
LH
You can't really count the Normans as French, they were a separate kingdom who lived in what we now happen to call France.

Thought it would be you who'd say that. :rolleyes:
Refused

If everybody is fit, the automatic choices are Owen and Rooney.

Not what i asked, who else should be infront of crouch?

Latest