The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9060
Did anyone see madrid v barca? At the end when ronaldiniho swapped shirts you could see love handles!!!
Reply 9061
How did you end up with that picture and needing to find out who it was?
Klinsmannic
Anyone can play on the flanks, it doesn't make them a winger. Would you call Gerrard a winger? Also, I'd like to know the match where Kaka played as a winger (incidentally he's just bagged a hatrick).

And there are plenty of wingers around, you just have to have a knowledge of the position to know who they are. I'll name a few half-decent wingers in no particular order (feel free to chip in, I'm sure I've forgotten somebody)...

Joaquin, Vicente, Robben, Ronaldo, Mahdavikhia, Petrov, Galetti, Schweinsteiger, Lennon, Simao, Quaresma, Giggs, Malouda, SWP, Downing, Salihamidzic, Mariano Gonzalez, Mark Gonzalez, Pennant, Gamst Pedersen, Ribery, Cameronesi, Mancini (nowadays, anyway)...

Of these, I'd say Robben, Ronaldo and Simao are the best three at the moment...with Ronaldo top.

You dont let things lie do you Klinsmannic!

You can still get hattricks and be a winger you know (Pennant against Soton springs to mind!) Kaka played as a winger in the world cup. I know what a winger is but as i was saying before wing backs are taking the place of wingers now and so there arent many out and out wingers.
afcwill
You dont let things lie do you Klinsmannic!

You can still get hattricks and be a winger you know (Pennant against Soton springs to mind!) Kaka played as a winger in the world cup. I know what a winger is but as i was saying before wing backs are taking the place of wingers now and so there arent many out and out wingers.

I didn't mean anything by mentioning his hatrick...just thought it was topical that's all. As for wingers being rare, I named 20 good ones and I could have named another 20 average ones- and I don't know a great deal about the French or Dutch or lots of other leagues around the world where there are bound to be good wingers I have never heard of.

Also wing-backs are very rare, I'd say far more rare than wingers...mainly because the term 'wing-back' implies a 3-5-2 formation which few teams play these days. I think you probably mean attacking full-backs :p:.

If we were talking about left-wingers, I'd agree that they were becoming a rare-breed. There are plenty of right footed wingers out there, though.
Reply 9064
Klinsmannic
Any player can move out wide for the last 15 mins, but it doesn't make them a winger. I asked the question because I find it highly unlikely that any manager would tell Kaka to play as a winger for a full game. Of course a player of Kaka's ability can play almost anywhere and do himself justice, to some extent.

Kaka has really impressed me this season. I thought he looked off form last year, compared to his first season at Milan which was great. His hatrick tonight was fantastic!

He has played some full games as winger, because Ancelotti needed him there, but surely Kakà isn't a winger. I agree with you :smile:

Bye

P.s.: Ac Milan plays without wingers, so.....
If you type they needed that freak goal saves jobs into google you get the following article:

Link

I didn't realise Mullins scored it with his knee. It is most likely him in the picture, as LH says.
To be fair, it wasnt that hard. The article heading gives it away
The_Bear
Chelsea will be destroyed at the Bridge by us, I will put a grand on it.

:laugh:
Why do I get the feeling that if Chelsea stopped diving that they would have won? For example, Essien shrugged off a challenge from Deco to a cross which lead to Drogba's late equaliser. There were times when Chelsea showed what they can produce (e.g. lead up to Robben's shot) which won't happen if you keep falling to the ground. A bit more clinical and it would have been very different.

And have any teams recently, come back from behind not once but twice against Barcelona?
Juwel
Will Arsenal fans ever blame their own team for not being good enough?
When we have video footage showing Mr Eto'o, in his extreme footballing averageness... scoring an offside goal. I think not!
Breaking news on Sky Sports, i have to say he is very lucky not to be sent to jail.

BBC News
The manager and former chairman of Boston United have been spared jail terms after cheating the taxman to "prop up" their ailing football club.
Steve Evans, 43, and Patrick Malkinson, 64, were both given suspended sentences for disguising wages and bonuses as expenses between 1997-2002.

London's Southwark Crown Court was told the scheme was so successful it transformed the Lincolnshire club.

The five-year tax scam resulted in £323,000 in taxes being withheld.

The Pilgrims saw gates swell by 1,000% during period of the tax fraud.

'Remarkable success'

Evans, of The Cloisters, Eye, Peterborough, Cambridgeshire, and Malkinson, of Spilsby Road, Boston, each pleaded guilty to one count of conspiring to cheat the public revenue between 5 April, 1997 and 1 June, 2002.

The court heard the fraud gave Boston such an edge over their competitors that they enjoyed "remarkable success", being promoted from the Unibond League to the Nationwide Conference and then the Football League.

The extra revenue generated by the illegal tax savings allowed Boston to attract players who would otherwise have been beyond its reach.

Evans left the club after an earlier Football Association enquiry but returned to the Pilgrims in March 2004.

He was born in Glasgow and played at Bolton Wanderers, Clyde, St Johnstone and Ayr United.

Former Pilgrims' accountant Brian James and book-keeper Ian Lee were cleared of conspiracy charges related to the case.

General manager John Blackwell was also cleared of the same charge after the judge directed the jury to acquit him due to a lack of evidence.
The guy is a scumbag, he should have been sent down. He has so many suspended sentences now from the league, the FA, lincs FA , for salary fraud, backhanders, investigated for match fixing (well Boston gave perks to refs) and now HM courts

should be banned from football for life.
http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/scot_prem/6113946.stm

VI still "ill".

Its really annoying all this, but it makes for interesting reading. Much better than that Dreamteam soap on Sky.
I doubt he will come back now, their owner is the worst thing ever to happen to Hearts.
I'm amazed he never went down, if he wasn't involved in football he would have been. Sooner he is out of Boston the better they will be, it also had repurcussions for Dagenham.
Reply 9075
I wonder which one is the real, Everton or Chelsea? or both are called blues?

thank you, the question is killing me
i've always known everton as the blue smidgeon of merseyside. chelsea just gatecrashed imho, although i can generally work out which blues people mean when. then again, uni teams here at oxford are Blues, as are the Tabs. (in varsity its dark (ox) v light (tabs))
Then again Everton are The Toffess and Chelsea are the Lions, or is that Millwall only? Or are Chelsea the pensioners still? Eh?! :p:
Well just call them the expensive blues and the crap blues... everyone will know who you're on about then :p:
sarforaz
Well just call them the expensive blues and the crap blues... everyone will know who you're on about then :p:

LOL. :p:

Latest