Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO Watch

Poll: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
Yes. (135)
54.22%
No (^o)) (114)
45.78%
This discussion is closed.
Rock Fan
  • TSR Support Team
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Oh i agree he should have got banned for life.
RobbieC
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by calderstonesLFC)
Secondly what the hell are you getting these ratings from? 66 for Hleb who hasnt done much apart from give away possesion and only 67 and 70 for Sissoko and Alonso respectively? Sissoko has been one of the best defensive midfielders in the premeirship this season, and while Alonso has hardly been on fire he has been a damm 3 points better then Hleb.
He was given four points more than Hleb... true.

And stop it with the Hleb... when Ljundberg's fit, he plays.

And Juwel, like I said its arbitrary and based on watching the players in the games I have been able to... but I needed to somehow show where I was coming from, rather than merely talking loose rhetoric about how great Sissoko is... or how entirely average he might be...
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Rainy)
I always knew my reasoning was tainted by red specs, but this show of rationality has firmly put me in my place. Please: look up 'arbitrary' before using it in putting forward a convincing argument.
I know what it means. And I know what I mean...

What I mean, is that people will view them as arbitrary... and to an extent they are... because they are based on my knowledge of the players, which for Liverpool may be unfair, as I see them less often than Arsenal. However, the relative ratings of the Arsenal players I give is fairly comprehensive, id say.

And Rainy, how about you actually bother to make a case? Or don't bother interdicting with your pointless, ARBITRARY comments.

Huzzah.
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Totti is amazing. Not for Italy, mind.
Eru Iluvatar
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
Essien Carrick
Ronaldo Scholes Gerrard

Wanted to put Fabregas in there, but i prefer the top quality distribution of Carrick, next to Essien (far better than Makalele IMO), with Scholes in an attacking central midfield role, and Ronaldo and Gerrard given freedom along the wings (would prefer to have Gerrard in the centre, but there are no real on form left wingers (besides Giggs), and i didn't want to make it seem like i am only picking the players as a Man U fan.
Alan Grant
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
On form left winger - maybe Gareth Barry?
Pseudomuse
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
so 6 months on!

who would believe after last seasons heart-stopping events that pompey would be lying in 4th place at this stage of the season!
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by RobbieC)
I know what it means. And I know what I mean...

What I mean, is that people will view them as arbitrary... and to an extent they are... because they are based on my knowledge of the players, which for Liverpool may be unfair, as I see them less often than Arsenal. However, the relative ratings of the Arsenal players I give is fairly comprehensive, id say.

And Rainy, how about you actually bother to make a case? Or don't bother interdicting with your pointless, ARBITRARY comments.

Huzzah.
"Arsenal having a better midfield than Liverpool and Manchester United is hardly undisputed fact, now, is it."

My point was never that "Liverpool's midfield is better than Arsenal's"; instead I contested that "few could dispute the best midfield in English football to be either Arsenal or Chelsea". I find the claim silly. Man-for-man, and taking the midfield unit as a whole - rather than attributing players numbers based on unsubstatiated personal prerogative - I believe that both Manchester United and Liverpool have midfields more than strong enough to match Arsenal. As you say, you may have a comprehensive knowledge of the Arsenal system. That's not for me to argue with. However, your allocation of ratings is messed up by a. not following Liverpool and b. wanting to present your case for Arsenal superiority. I could make up (arbitrary) data to prove my (therefore irrational) 'belief' that the sun orbits the earth.

If anything, these different midfields have different functions in different systems. Wenger has assembled a midfield with a different idea in mind to Sir Alex. It's subjective as to whose midfield is 'better', although - yes - I'd rather the Sissoko-Alonso-Gerrard axis to what Arsenal has to offer.
NDGAARONDI
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
By and large we'd prefer our own team's midfield...
Juwel
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by NDGAARONDI)
By and large we'd prefer our own team's midfield...
Reminds me of an Arsene Wenger quote.

But yeah; Rainy wins. The fact is many, not few, can dispute the superiority of Arsenal's midfield. Indeed, the only conclusive evidence for anyone is the league table.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
(Original post by Barfee)
On form left winger - maybe Gareth Barry?
Not really, he might be a solid player, but isn't the sort of person you will pick for a fantasy premiership midfield 5
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I do dispute people including Ballack but each to their own.
Rainy
Badges: 2
Report 12 years ago
Aye - come 13th May.
Бербато&
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
----Makelele----
Ronaldo----Gerrard----Fabregas----Lennon
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I do dispute people including Ballack but each to their own.
Indeed; Michael Ballack has been really poor. Again, there are three better performing central midfielders out there.
RobbieC
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
But you do not dispute Chelsea's midfield strength? Hmmm.. Well my 5 included players from all mentioned teams.

One midfield that has LOADS of potential is Newcastle, I really don't know what's going on with them so far this season.
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd like to see anyone dispute Chelsea's midfield strength tbh.
Juwel
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I can't dispute Chelsea's midfield strength; fact is, they're strong in midfield.

But relative to other midfields? Maybe another story.
Eru Iluvatar
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
I'd like to see anyone dispute Chelsea's midfield strength tbh.
I'll give it a shot.

I mean having depth is a given, they've got a huge amount of players in their squad. But if you look at it on paper, Makalele is getting on, and pretty much never comes forward (i know his role is defensive, but you still need the option of players coming forward). Ballack simply isn't playing well right now, and Lampard doesn't look as sharp as last season. Essien admittidly has been on good form, but then beyond that Robben, Wright-Phillips, Joe Cole haven't impressed me particularly (Wright-Phillips and Cole barely getting the opportunity to play). It can't be considered strength if the players don't play, or aren't on form.

Anyway, in all seriousness, Chelsea have a strong midfield, second best in the premiership behind Man U in my opinion (i mean first team, players like Fletcher in rotation roles aren't as good, admittidly).
NDGAARONDI
Rep:
?
Report 12 years ago
IMHO Robben and Lampard are starting to come good again. Ballack is still underperforming. And Joe Cole and SWP haven't had a serious chance to impress this season. Makelele is getting on but can you really tell? When they start all to come good at once it will be scary.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

The new Gillette ad. Is it:

Man-hating bullsh*t (142)
45.95%
Pro-humanity (167)
54.05%

Watched Threads