Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

Announcements
  • View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by zoemunro)
    THIS IS A JOKE RIGHT!!!!!
    #
    Why should it be?!

Everton have more fans and more tradition.

ReputationRep:
    Tradition like?

ReputationRep:
    Couldn't agree more with you Fusion.

Why doesn't everyone concentrate more on removing diving from the game? That is surely a far bigger problem.

ReputationRep:
    "Like" what? Everton traditionally are a bigger club than Chelsea. Seems like a no brainer to me!

ReputationRep:
    If you can find me some links which suggest that Everton are a bigger club than Chelsea then I'll be happy. Traditionally Spurs are probably bigger than Arsenal but you know, times change.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by calderstonesLFC)
    Great midfield 5 that.
    There's better

ReputationRep:
    Player's surround the ref, not to get the decision changed but to make the ref feel guilty that he got it wrong in the hope that he will even it out later on.

Players shouldnt really be surrounding the ref but the biggest problem is the quality of the referees. It's not an easy job but I have to say the standard is diabolical atm. Graham Poll just seems to want to catch the headlines every game now. A good quality ref wouldnt hope to make as many errors as he has in the past few months over their whole career.

Getting better refs, more imposing and consistent, more respect will only reduce this surrounding business.

ReputationRep:
    Which referees do people here actually rate?

ReputationRep:
    I think the rugby union system of no talking back to the ref would be worth a try in the second half of the season. At the moment, the players don't seem to respect refs at all, it's a disgrace. It's the refs job to look after the game, he should be allowed to get on with it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    Which referees do people here actually rate?
    There a better ones abroad. But I really dont see how hard it can be. Someone like Colina , is just no nonsense, instantly commands respect. Doesnt fuss about arguing with the players, just blows up and waves players away. Some referees would rather have a bloody debate every 5 minutes.

ReputationRep:
    The problem isn't about respect alone - its about getting decisions right.

I have refereed some matches myself and seen others try and tis bloody hard to get decisions right - when you see a foul it can be extremley hard deciding whetehr it is a foul or not etc

IMO we need video replays for sure - and by that I just mean instant ones on the big screen TVs rather than a 4th person - or maybe a 4th person on the touchline who watches a TV and helps the ref.

Also the crowding issue isn't being overhyped that much - it was there to see during the world cup - several players crowding the ref and shouting him down isn't on - even moreso if they think they can sway his future decisions.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by jojo72)
    The problem isn't about respect alone - its about getting decisions right.

I have refereed some matches myself and seen others try and tis bloody hard to get decisions right - when you see a foul it can be extremley hard deciding whetehr it is a foul or not etc

IMO we need video replays for sure - and by that I just mean instant ones on the big screen TVs rather than a 4th person - or maybe a 4th person on the touchline who watches a TV and helps the ref.

Also the crowding issue isn't being overhyped that much - it was there to see during the world cup - several players crowding the ref and shouting him down isn't on - even moreso if they think they can sway his future decisions.
    I agree, respect comes from getting decisions right. It can be hard but i dont see how some refs can constantly get it right and others just make up the rules as they feel like it.

I def think we should have video replays as well

ReputationRep:
    Video replays are a must. I'm sorry but the benefits of using them outweigh the disadvantage of pausing for a while by a huge extent. The fact that they are not in use is shocking and goes to show the hopelessness of those running the game.

Another thing is the fake diving. Such a simple solution to this - a panel meets up each monday and goes through the 'diving' over the weekend and then take action where due. Some diving is so blatant that it wouldn't be too difficult to spot the fakers. After a few weeks diving will almost cease to exisit if players realise they'll be punished after the match.

But I think what holds back these solutions is that the PL etc think that the game wouldn't have as much excitement about it if they were implemented and so football as entertainment (£££'s) will take priority over the sport itself and rationality.

ReputationRep:
    It's not about links, it's about tradition and fan base.

Everton have won more leagues than Chelsea. Chelsea'sa first trophy of note was the 1955 Championship, Everton had won a lot by then hence had established themselves as a bigger club then.

They also have traditionally higher average attendances.

ReputationRep:
    I don't know why so many people have left out Scholes from their fantasy 5 midfield. He would walk into any Premiership 1st XI.

ReputationRep:
    ^^I dont agree with that statement...
    yes, hes good but hes not the best ¬_¬
    If he were to come over to liverpool *cough* who would he replace?

ReputationRep:
    Get ready for the weekend. I won't be bothering to add Friday's FA Cup predictions as I realised that it's not the 3rd round.

ReputationRep:
    On present form, Xabi Alonso.

ReputationRep:
    Times change. Presently Chelsea are a bigger club.

ReputationRep:
    Paul Durkin was a legend :cool:

Poll
Brexit: Given the chance now, would you vote leave or remain?
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.