The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9700
I don't think it's a ban as such, more like they are ineligible to qualify for Europe via the English system. Implies to me that UEFA see them as a Welsh club, and so should be using a Welsh qualifying spot rather than an English one. Means they won't be playing in Europe for some time as clubs playing outside the Welsh leagues are ineligible for the Welsh Cup, which is how Cardiff (and I think Wrexham and Swansea also) have qualified before.
Just appeal to FIFA. Besides, if an independent state can participate in a foreign league and qualify for the Champions League then so, too, can Wrexham, Cardiff and Swansea.
Robben----Fabregas----Gerrard----Ronaldo

------------------Sissoko-----------------
Dission
I wonder which one is the real, Everton or Chelsea? or both are called blues?

thank you, the question is killing me

Everton : One of the grand old names of English football and one of the most successful clubs in the history country.
Chelsea : a nothing club who have had success bought for them in the most grotesque/ostentatious manner playing football which would shame Bolton Wanderers despite having probably the greatest array of talent any club has ever had in the history of world football.
NDGAARONDI
So Real > Barcelona.

In terms of success absolutely. However Barca are one of the few clubs in Europe (Celtic and Bilbao are the only other two i can think of atm) who represent more than just a sporting team and transcend the boundaries of football as they represent an ethnic/cultural phenomenon.
Juwel
So recent sustained success has no bearing on the size of the club?

Tell it like it is, not how you'd like it to be.

Whats big about Chelsea? Crippling debts, mediocre sized stadium and hardcore (i.e. pre-glory hunter) fanbase. The second Roman Abramovic gets bored of buying success via mind-numbingly unambitious football and walks away Chelsea dont even revert to being a medium sized club they go completely out of existence because his wallet is all that is keeping the club afloat.
NDGAARONDI
Aston Villa > Newcastle.

Yup. Newcastle are the original pseudo-big club. At least Chelsea, who have a similar almost total lack of history, have won the odd trophy recently to justify claims to being big. The idea of Newcastle as a big club is a total fantasy.
NDGAARONDI
Liverpool owns all then.

Yup and, even if Man U or Arsenal or Everton (Or Chelsea if Roman can be bothered buying success for 2 decades straight or so) or any of the other traditionally big clubs in England somehow manage to sustain domestic success for so long they overtake Liverpools status as club most crowned Champions of England will still be smaller that Liverpool in absolute terms as this would have to be matched by awesome success on the European front - in this latter respect no club in England is anywhere near Liverpools class.
Chelsea have the money, Everton the history. Now you decide which one more important to make one better from the other.
Who says you need a DM?
NDGAARONDI
Who says you need a DM?
Not if you want a wide open midfield and you want to get raped 0-5 you don't :eek:
NDGAARONDI
Who says you need a DM?

That's the whole part of a best 'premiership midfield 5'. 5 attacking minded players wont do as good a job as 1 defensive minded one to sit and the other 4 to attack.
Meh, in all honesty i dont think its needed if the back 4 can handle the pressure...
but it really helps slow down the other teams!
Reply 9713
name one succesfull team that hasnt used a DM in the past 5 years
Ronaldo--Giggs---Essien--Gerrard
--------------Robben---------------
an Siarach
Chelsea : a nothing club

A nothing club? You mean the same club that was established as a top 6 side before Roman Abramovich came along? What about the days of Gullit and Vialli? It might only be a few trophies but a few nonetheless. Once described as perennial underachievers by many and title contenders for 2000.

an Siarach
who have had success bought for them in the most grotesque/ostentatious manner playing football which would shame Bolton Wanderers

They have played bland football though this season doesn't seem apparent as much as last season. If you have ever seen Chelsea play, there were signs that they can play more attractive football, against a strong Villa side in the League Cup, league match against Spurs (pretty open game that was) and minute signs against Barcelona (away, though home was a good match - I was there) if it weren't for all the conning and handbags. Big pity that because these two sides do bring out the best in each other IMO.

an Siarach
despite having probably the greatest array of talent any club has ever had in the history of world football.

Wouldn't go that far. Real Madrid recent or an old squad would probably contend that. Not too good on Real Madrid but their dominance in Europe might suggest their squad was beyond this world at the time.

Are you still of the opinion that Chelsea have the players to play decent football? It won't match Arsenal's passing style, nor Man Utd's fluid approach but it can be a lot better than what we've seen surely.

Oh and thanks for the rep if it was you by the way. :biggrin:
Robben is the DM? :/
Reply 9717
I thought I would ask people what they thought of him....

Not just on todays performance where he was not up to his usual standard.

But is anyone surporised he has stuck with Bolton so long as in my opinion he has been one of the top 4 goalkeepers in the Premiership season after season for god knows how long....

I just can't understand why he never has had a big money move....

(sorry bolton fans but i do not class bolton as a bit club)
L M A O F O R E V E R A T H O W Y O U S P E L L E D H I S N A M E ! !
Reply 9719
Oh. Dear. God.

Latest