Turn on thread page Beta

Archive FTBL/0003/REC/HPOO watch

• View Poll Results: Do you want Ronaldo to leave the Premiership?
    Yes.
    54.22%
    No (^o))
    45.78%

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I think I just ordered the Arsenal V Spurs game for tommorow.

I rang up the number from the channel, 08705 something I think it was, and it was electronically done. "If you want to order the Arsenal V Tottenham match, please press 1", and then I was expecting some one to directly talk to me to confirm my address/ sky card no. and credit card no. or something, and the next thing I know "thank you for your purchase, you'll be able to watch from 11:45 on Sat 2. December, Good bye".

And I'm thinking, hang on. How do they know where I want it shown, and how am I paying for it? Most importantly, I'm worried that it won't be shown tommorow.

Can anyone shed some light on this?

Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    no-one?

ReputationRep:
    Well the Sky line goes through your phone line too.

So they'll automatically know.

And then the price will be added onto your bill at the end of the month.

Sorted.

ReputationRep:
    Go to the pub thats what ill be doing

ReputationRep:
    are

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rob McK)
    "Edilson Pereira de Carvalho, one of only 10 Fifa-accredited referees in Brazil, was arrested last month and accused of taking bribes of up to pounds 2,550 to alter the outcome of vital games. Carvalho and another referee, Paulo Jos Danelon, have admitted influencing matches in the So Paulo state championships. And the news that some of Brazilian football's most respected figures are engulfed in a corruption scandal has hit fans in the country for six.

'I was knocked sideways', Catarina Pedroso, 18, a dedicated follower of So Paulo's Palmeiras, told the Financial Times. 'At matches everyone shouts juiz ladro ['referee you're a thief'] but you don't expect it to be true.' "

Our referees may be god awful at times but at least they don't take bribes - to my knowledge
    Graham Poll rings a bell

I read a book 6 or so months ago, about S.American football, some of the chapters covered just how corrupt the game and its respective footballing association and key figures, are. Does it beat Italy at corruption?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Logan)
    i dont know why but their world cup teams seem to do well... but yeah, in the case of england you can really say that lets say the top premiership team of england is better than englands world cup squad.. or something of the sort i have yet to see a full footie match from s america
    Some may say watching, being a fan of England is a painful experience. I beg to differ. I`ve, we`ve, become so accustomed to seeing England go out in the QFs (semis if we`re lucky), that that is what i/we come to expect in future European Championships and World Cups. Maybe England should have appointed Allardyce instead of McClaren, the former continues to work miracles at Bolton.

ReputationRep:
    I use are. You would do the same with a pack of lions or a herd of sheep wouldn't you?

ReputationRep:
    the culprits are TSR members? Name and shame. IS strikes me as odd and it doesnt sound right, whereas ARE, without a doubt.

ReputationRep:
    chelsea are the best
    jose mourinho is the best maneger in the world

fact

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by *the special one*)
    chelsea are the best

fact
    ffs

ReputationRep:
    chelsea are the best

fact
    i`ve not come across that job title before.

ReputationRep:
    First Economist and now jamlan. Looks like both of you could do with venturing the control panel.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AAJ1)
    When referring to the team as a group of players, and continuing to use "is", this is clearly out of order.

But, often it is ambiguous/triguous whether they are referring to the club, the entire team as one entity, or individual players - in this scenario I would give "them" (those who use "is") the benefit of the doubt, and assume they are either talking about "the club as a whole" or "the team as a whole".

Perhaps 'tis just the kind-natured grammaticist in me.

PS: I made up the words triguous and grammaticist.
    'Leeds is in debt' but also 'Leeds are in debt' is fine. 'Leeds are relegated to League One' but not 'Leeds is relegated to League One."

ReputationRep:
    This is truly absorbing.

NEWSFLASH: For something really absorbing DO please post in my S.American football thread

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    First Economist and now jamlan. Looks like both of you could do with venturing the control panel.
    I'm not going to lower myself to argue with him (yet), and i quite like to know what ridiculous things are being said. Sometimes they're quite amusing, but he's so incessant with it. I can't even come to appreciate that he did, in some way, contribute to the grammar argument by providing examples of what he considers proper usage. I'm torn. Should i be amused and equally annoyed, or blissfully unaware, but kept in the dark :confused: grrr

ReputationRep:
    B*****ks I thought it was on SS1

ReputationRep:
    chelsea are the best

fact
    Lol.

Made me laugh at least

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by NDGAARONDI)
    'Leeds is in debt' but also 'Leeds are in debt' is fine. 'Leeds are relegated to League One' but not 'Leeds is relegated to League One."
    :mad: Very funny.

But... ARE sounds better in both cases than IS. But you still have provided no grammatical opposition to the use of is.

Any of you. Because while it is less conventional and often used in error, when referring to anything in the third person singular, you can get away with is.

ReputationRep:
    A complete joke of a decision from sky to put it on premplus

Poll
The new Gillette ad. Is it:
Football Discussions
Football League

The Football League

For all conversation about the English football league.

Fantasy Football

TSR's Fantasy Football League

Clean sheets, bonus points and captain picks, discuss it all here.

Predictions

TSR's Football Predictions Competition

Get your crystal balls out and win a prize!

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.