The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 9840
rizzyh
Maccabi Haifa is in Israel, ASIA

So HOW are they allowed to participate in UEFA (EUROPE) Champions League???? :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

Israeli clubs won 3 of the first 4 Asian Champions Leagues (with a runner up in the other year they didn't win it.)

After what happened in Munich, the Israelis decided to pull out of the AFC and instead mess about in Oceania and South America, until settling with UEFA in 1992.

btw: Cyprus is considered non-European as well. Its closer to the middle-east than southern Europe.
Reply 9841
Alex Mann
Anti-competitive, as in, if they actually helped Welsh football by investing rather than turning their back on it, then maybe it might actually grow a bit and not be just three teams.

Technically Welsh and English clubs in general have turned and returned their backs on it. Newport County and Merthyr Tydfil compete in England whilst Owestry has had to merge with Llansantffraid. Hereford and Shewsbury also have a proud history in the Welsh Cup. Prior to the formation of the League of Wales, the best teams had to play in England, or suffer the consequences of going bust due to lack of decent competition.

As much as people have tried, its impossible to increase the population of Wales overnight and the amount of fully professional teams that it can possibly field. Regardless of wether or not the Big Three were playing in Wales, it wouldn't help grow Welsh soccer it would drive it further into the ground.

And what does Wrexham being one of the oldest clubs in the UK have to do with anything? At the end of the day, they are WELSH, so should be playing in the WELSH league! They are completely different countries. What would happen if we extended this situation onto the continent? The Andorran league isn't competitive so their top 3 clubs move into France....Porto suddenly start dominating Portugal so they move into Spain...it would be anarchy if we suddenly let everyone who meets your critera ('big club'...although Wrexham are no bigger than many English League Two clubs....lots of history.....better than everyone else in their country) switch countries.

Few points;

* The population of Andorra is around 67,000 - roughly the capacity of the Millenium stadium. I would also add, that Andorra has no professional full-time teams, and along with Leichtenstein and San Marino, may only enter their teams into the Intertoto and UEFA Cup. Andorra have every right to enter a team in France or Spain if they wanted to - but I would image they couldn't...

* To suggest that a team from Portugal moving into Spain is missing the point. The major Welsh teams have played in England longer than the formation of most professional teams within England itself. They have a rich history, and have not moved out of the welsh league structure to a higher level. There was simply never one to begin with. As the most popular sides in Wales, in order to survive they have had to play other professional sides that simply do not exist in the principality.

As it stands now, only 2 sides remain fully professional in Welsh league. TNS and Llanelli.

Can you start to see now, why a professional team should seek to play in another full-time professional league?

The League of Wales and the European qualification stipulation was created as a UEFA directive not a Welsh one. Wales wished to remain as international member but had to satisfy the criteria of having a national league. The standard of that league is so poor that it would ruin most professional welsh clubs overnight as well providing absolutely farcical playing conditions.

The current system as it stands now benefits Welsh football more than your supposed idea.
Reply 9842
Alex Mann
Personally, I really do not think that Cardiff, Swansea and Wrexham should be in the English league, they are Welsh. If the competition isn't hard enough, tough, they should stop being so anti-competitive in the Welsh region then. Because using the current system, the English FA really had no reason to prevent Rangers and Celtic.

I have a feeling both Rangers and Celtic would not enjoy having to work themselves up through the Unibond leagues just so they can enter a league without Champions League revenue.
...before we get some good refs in the premiership?

A ref would consider himself lucky to get a second chance after giving out 3 yellow cards to a player in the biggest competition in the world. But then he proceeds to give useless decisions week in week out. I was almost willing Gilberto to miss the penalty :eek:

And Poll isnt the only one!
Graham Poll has admiitedly, gone down the pan. Its alright the FA dishing out punishment to the players [John Terry], but there comes a time that all these players cannot be wrong.

Graham Poll should resign. He's now becoming a disgrace. What is it with refs who cannot own up to wrong doing? The amount of games he's cocked up as of late.

Mind you, at least he done it in Arsenal's favour :biggrin:
Howard Webb! :top:
But you would also prefer are because you say do instead of does when referring to a football team.
I don't know if Kazakhstan's league participates in the European Championship or the Champions League. Be quite funny if they do.

Oh and I was going to mention Cyprus but couldn't be asked to go through the debates over whether it is European or Asian.

It would be strange if Britain treated their overseas territories during the Empire days like the French. So with the England national team you could have a team selection like:

GK: Brad Friedel
Defence: Ashley Cole, Mehrajuddin Wadoo
Midfield: Michael Essien, Harry Kewell, Frank Lampard, John Obi Mikel, Steven Gerrard, Joe Cole, Thomas Radzinski
Strikers: Ahmed Hossam, Benni McCarthy, Brian McBride

You get the idea...:biggrin:
I object to paying £8 for PremPlus. If it was £3 I wouldn't mind.
Yeah. £50 for a 'season ticket' doesn't seem too bad though. - works out around £1 a game, but I doubt I'd be able to watch even half of them.

I had to watch Arsenal-Spurs, so for me, the £8 wasn't much of an issue. But it is definitely a bit harsh when other countries abroad - Mayalsia, India would be showing the game for free and we're stucking having to pay £8 for it. Ah well, it was an £8 well spent as far as I'm concerned :biggrin:
Yes but it's a season ticket of the games they choose, not your club. When I finally move out, I'd get a minimal Sky package (like the £15 a month one) and then go with Chelsea TV. Works out better as I see all the first team games, youth, reserves etc. I'll expect the same with other teams.
NDGAARONDI
I use are. You would do the same with a pack of lions or a herd of sheep wouldn't you?

Youve missed the point the other guy made tho - in your example youre saying lionS, as in plural so you NEED to use "are". eg "the lions are scary". However if you were to group say 3 of those lions and label them as group A, you could say "Group A is scary."
Same is applied to football teams - "those overrated footballers who play in blue, sponsored by addidas and samsung, ARE crap", or alternatively "that group known as Chelsea is crap".
Isn't a football team built up of a collective of individuals?

Therefore shouldn't are be used?

Everton is the best team in the whole wide world.

Everton are the best team in the whole wide world.

Grammatically, of course, both sentences are correct. Everton is merely one thing, one club - and as such the word is could be used in several contexts, but on the other side, due to my collective of individuals comment, the word are is also correct in many contexts.
pig
There's this weird tense that footballers (and only footballers) use when describing past in-game incidents, usually in post-match interviews.

e.g. "I've done him with a lob" or "the keeper's gone to ground and I've gone round him"

What's all that about?

usually when players say such a thing, i.e. "I`ve done him with a lob", "i`ve done him there (player looks at the screen on his nutmegging an opponent), it represents a triumph of kinds, i`ve done `im, done the bastard etc...its kind of aggression in a way. Big and `ard mentality represented through the involvement of `done him` or rather `dun `im` as it comes out. This is what you`re getting at?
pig
No I mean the grammar is all wrong. "I've done him with a lob" should be "I did him with a lob" surely.

the grammar is wrong, yes, my point was the players use the `done him` as to them, the footballers, they think it sounds tough, a hard mentality given off through the use of those two words put together etc...aggressiveness given off, maybe a showboating, and being pleased with oneself...a smugness.
I don't think too many footballers talk as they should.
To be televised from around 15:15 tomorrow on Sky. The results will be added here in due course. I'll be at work tomorrow but should be back around 1-2pm.

Who would you like to dodge most?
I want Everton at home.
Don't know who I'd want. With the league in some doubt, I want to win the FA Cup. Plus it's something for the manager as he hasn't won this trophy. I suppose I could say Aston Villa but they're not the Villa of last year.
It`s nice to see my more `local` team, Stockport, still in the proceedings. Their league position also makes a refreshing change from previous (too many to count) seasons. A big draw with a prem club, good for the coffers also.

Latest