Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if the forty marker is "assess the usefulness of subcultural theories" what do we put in the against/evaluative argument??? i've got labelling i.e Becker and lemert and also devaincy amplification. but is there anything else that could go in it?????? please help!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obscured)
    Left idealism is neo marxism. The whole robbin hood approach.

thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Obscured)
    I was looking at last years paper the 40 marker: Deviance is the result of the social background of the individual not social conrol agencies.

I have no idea where to start. Any help would be appreciated? Is it a simple macro vs micro or is it to do with class etc?
    we discussed it on about page 4 i think of this thread. also there is another thread somewhere with it devoted to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by xx josie xx)
    if the synoptic link for the 40 mark Q is theory do we still need to make synoptic links to other topics we have covered too ( such as family etc?)

i dont know but i am going to do anyway if i can. you cannot get marked down for it!

you could bring in theory as in family theory and what parsons said about it, etc

ReputationRep:
    Question:

do any of you know about "Marketisation/globalisation " as i havent done any work on it!?

is it a big part!?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Podge)
    Question:

do any of you know about "Marketisation/globalisation " as i havent done any work on it!?

is it a big part!?

i'm guessing not as i havn't even heard of it! i've just looked in my textbook and it's not in there either! don't hold me to that tho....i may be wrong!

ReputationRep:
    Apologies if this has already been asked; I'm reading my way through this threa and so far I'm only on page 5!

Is the AO1/A02 weighting 50:50 as with psychology?

(Original post by notebook)
    Apologies if this has already been asked; I'm reading my way through this threa and so far I'm only on page 5!

Is the AO1/A02 weighting 50:50 as with psychology?
    In the 40 marker, yeah. Dunno about 8 or 12, think less evaluations needed there...

ReputationRep:
    ^^ yes it is for the part c question! - ie the 40 marker!

im not too sure about part a and b!

ReputationRep:
    i'm stumped....... has anyone got a plan of how we would answer this forty marker!!!!! i've revised gender but im soooooooooo stuck trying to plan this Q!!!! id be so grateful for any ideas!

"assess sociological explanations of gender differences in rates of crime and deviance"
    the synoptic link is family, education, religion, media...........
    :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused: :confused:

I just did Matza... do you use him if they ask interactionalism then?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by tis_me_lord)
    I just did Matza... do you use him if they ask interactionalism then?

do u mean Matza as in 'delinquency and drift'???

we were told to use him in evaluation of subcultural theories but i dunno if he did anythin else relating to interactionism!?!?

ReputationRep:
    Could anyone give me a kind of evaluation (good and bad points) of neo marxist approach. Staurt Hall's moral panic.
    I have that it uses a marxist and labelling approach and therefore it can give a bigger picture overall. but thats about it!
    Cheers
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    Rachelhale15 - Neo marxism is good because it challenges other theories on the grounds that they are "ideological state apparatuses". Hall et al's study provides a "fully social theory" of deviance, and considers mugging on both a micro and macro scale. It therefore avoids the age old divisions between structure and action. However, neo Marxism has been accused of romanticising working class crime; the whole "robin hood syndrome" thing. They also ignore gender as a factor for criminality. It's also important to remember that Jock Young changed his mind - he started as a neo marxist, and then sided with the left realists later on. Left realists criticise neo marxists for "grafting on" other social divisions appart from class (such as race) in an inadequate way.

xx josie xx - Matza's theory is classed as social action and is therefore interpretivist-he considers how people construct meanings (techniques of neutralisation) to convince themselves that the law doesn't apply to them.

notebook - The weighting for the 40 marker is half Ao1 half Ao2. For the other questions, there is more weight for AO2, especially in the 12 marker.

Phew lol. This thread is getting HUGE! Posting on this thread is probably better than actual revision lol.

ReputationRep:
    hey everyone! hows the revision going?

i love sociology but not lookin forward to this exam.. purely because theres no choice on the essay! so gota know everything thoroughly! just looking over interactionism... although i have been thinkin it may not come up since it was the 40 marker on the 'theory and methods paper' ummm.. wot ya think?

ive got the theorists.. blumer, Becker, Lermert, Jock Young and Stan Cohen.. but MISSING goffman- does anyone have any notes on him?

omg 3days to go and started revision today! in major panick stations!

ReputationRep:
    8owman --- i so agree, i've got much out of reading this thread! it's really helpful. o and thanks for correctin me on matza, i wont b makin mistakes on that one now if it comes up!!!

ReputationRep:
    Goffman studied labelling of insane people in asylums. He talked about the "mortification of the soul" (dehumanising inmates by taking their possessions away etc) and how after they are labelled, they become "instituionalised" (completely dependent on the instituion). Their self concept is totally destroyed and it is impossible to re-enter normal social life. Szasz extends on this by saying that asylums act as a social control agency - by labelling non-conformist or unusual behaviour as "pathological", peopl that pose a threat to social stability can simply be locked up.

ReputationRep:
    8owman --- i so agree, i've got much out of reading this thread! it's really helpful. o and thanks for correctin me on matza, i wont b makin mistakes on that one now if it comes up!!!
    Lol wouldn't it be scary if AQA were reading this and deliberately fixed the questions in light of what they read. Spooky :O

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 8owman)
    Lol wouldn't it be scary if AQA were reading this and deliberately fixed the questions in light of what they read. Spooky :O

yea and everythin we dont talk about or dont no the answers to comes up!!!! hopw if they did read it they'd be nice!!!

u seem to no alot about soc so....... could u help me with the msg i posted earlier on gender? no-one has posted anythin an im still real stuck!

ReputationRep:
    is anyone else REALLY gettin scared about this exam?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
Updated: January 22, 2011

University open days

• Heriot-Watt University
    School of Textiles and Design Undergraduate
    Fri, 16 Nov '18
  • University of Roehampton
    All departments Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
  • Edge Hill University
    Faculty of Health and Social Care Undergraduate
    Sat, 17 Nov '18
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.