The Student Room Group

AQA Sociology A2 - Crime & Deviance module

Scroll to see replies

You guys do know that a 40 marker on interactionism came up on theories and methods last week - doesnt that make it unlikely it will come up again!?

Different people / groups have responsibility for different papers. In an ideal world they talk to each other.

Trust me, trying to "second guess" the examiners is not a good revision option (whatever some teachers may claim).

If you look at the A2 exam history examiners do seem to work to a general "question cycle" in the sense they try to balance out questions (so the same question doesn't come up year after year and the Specification is covered). However, in some cases it is a case of the "same old, same old".
Reply 301
Hi People, here’s my notes on the Marxist and the new criminologist view, hope it helps!!!!

Traditional Marxists

Marxists argue that crime is systematically generated within a structured capitalist society. The capitalist system places importance on winning through private gain rather than a collective well-being. In addition, by placing significance on winning, aggression is encouraged. The capitalist system is an unequal economic system that exploits certain individuals in which some gain at the expense of others.

An individual become obsessed with personal gain therefore breaking the law is seen as a minor barrier. Pressure to break the law will affect those across the social spectrum, from the wealthy business people to the poor and unemployed. According to Marxists capitalism encourages greed as well as self-interest and generates frustration by ones current position. Breaking the law is seen as a rational step in order to fulfil desires and is also a way of expressing frustration. Crimes with no apparent financial motive is seen as an expression of the dissatisfaction,(non utilitarian) and crimes with an evident financial motive (utilitarian) can be seen as a logical outcome of the priorities of profit.

The Laws Laws within a capitalist society are seen to reflect the interest of the dominant capitalist class. Thus the many laws protecting private property, which have appeared as statutes reflect the growth of industry. Laws, which appear to protect the interests of the workers, can be seen as a compromise to the working class to maintain its acceptance of the system. For example health an safety laws protecting workers can be seen in this light and they have the additional benefit to capitalism of helping to prove a fit and healthy workforce.

Law Enforcement “There is one law for the rich and another for the poor” This piece of folk wisdom coincides with the Marxist view and how the law is enforced within a capitalist society. The law is enforced selectively there is a systematic bias in favour of those at the top. The crimes of the powerful such as corporate crime fro example failing to pay business taxes an-d breaking trading laws if discovered are rarely prosecuted. By comparison to those at the bottom of the class system who are caught breaking the law regularly, as well as prosecuted.

Radical Criminology

This theory emerged within the 1970’s out of the dissatisfaction by the existing theories including the traditional Marxist approaches. Radical criminology focuses on the process by which the state defines certain activities as criminal and thereby criminalizes certain groups (interactionism), particularly the oppressed and disadvantaged. The stress on the process of criminalisation is reminiscent of the labelling theory. While accepting that interaction between lower level agents of social control, such as the police, and deviants is important, radical criminology demands a wider focus. It looks at the process of criminalisation in relation to the state as it seeks to manage the capitalist society.

Taylor Walton & young elaborated a fully social theory of deviance; a model was outlined in which they defined as a “fuller social theory of deviance,” which consisted of seven dimensions, including

The wider origins of the deviant act The radical criminologists needs to locate the deviant act within the wider social system capitalism and its class divisions.

The immediate origins of the deviant act They felt it was necessary to look at the immediate social context within which an individual chooses to commit an act of deviance.

The actual Act Attention needs to be given to what the deviant act means to the individual concerned.

The closest approximation to a fully social theory of deviance is policing the crisis by Stuart Hall et al (1978). It is a study of the moral panic, which took place in the early 1970’s over “mugging.”

Policing the Crisis

The wider origins of Mugging Mugging is a term imported from America. It refers to the street crime of robbery or theft involving the threat of force or actual force. In the early 1970’s, a moral panic developed within Britain about he dangers of street crime and in particular the threat of the young black mugger. Stuart Hall et al argued that the societal reaction to mugging must be seen in the wider context of capitalism and the class system. Stereotypical views of the street crime bottom of class system, African Caribbean were the most disadvantaged members of the working class.

The immediate origins of mugging Black youths were acutely aware of the racism within society, and was less willing then their parents to tolerate with such racism and their situation. This caused conflict within the family, and some left their homes and became involved within petty crimes.

The immediate origins of the social reaction to mugging The media were central in elucidating public opinions against the black mugger. Between 1972 and 1973, the national daily newspapers reported 60 incidents as “muggings.” They pictured Black youths creating havoc within inner cities. Yet mugging was neither a problem, nor was it on the increase at an alarming rate in fact the rate of growth was less then half the rate within the 1960’s. Hall et Al viewed the societal reaction to mugging as a moral panic.

The wider origins of the social reaction to mugging - Hall et Al argued that this moral panic must be seen in the context of the problems that British capitalism was experiencing. An economic crisis within 1970’s brought rise in unemployment & a slowing down rise in the living standards. As a result the authority of the state came under challenge from various groups, especially trade unions. The focus on the black mugger served to symbolise a threat to social order. The result was to divide the working class on “racial” grounds, so weakening any challenge to the state. And, the apparent need to stamp out mugging as quickly as possible justified the state increasing its powers.

The outcome of social reaction The police targeted this crime and black youth in particular. Increasing number of black men were randomly stopped, searched and questioned in the street, many seen this as unjustified and some reacted with verbal abuse or violence. This led to more arrests and appeared to confirm that they were indeed prone to crimes related to violence. The result was a process of deviancy amplification. And in turn, this provided further headlines for the newspapers.

:smile:
Reply 302
Chris.Livesey
Different people / groups have responsibility for different papers. In an ideal world they talk to each other.

Trust me, trying to "second guess" the examiners is not a good revision option (whatever some teachers may claim).

If you look at the A2 exam history examiners do seem to work to a general "question cycle" in the sense they try to balance out questions (so the same question doesn't come up year after year and the Specification is covered). However, in some cases it is a case of the "same old, same old".

chris you seem VERY knowledgeable!! so gona fire a few questions at you..

what sorts of questions may be asked on official statistics.. i have done a practice one 'evaluate the accuracy of official statistics of crime' can you think of any twist they could perhaps put on this.. if you get me?
Reply 303
I don't actually have a plan for that question but here's a 12 marker I did that may help.
I'm so majorly ****ed. :frown:
Reply 305
8owman
I don't actually have a plan for that question but here's a 12 marker I did that may help.

thankyou.. im just summarising this big massive essay i did on official stats so i can learn it easier.. then il post it.. if its of any use to anyone!
x clare
thankyou.. im just summarising this big massive essay i did on official stats so i can learn it easier.. then il post it.. if its of any use to anyone!

that would b great!!! i did a practise Q on that yesterday and just seemed to ramble...couldnt come up with a clear plan/structure!

8owman - thanks for that!!! v. helpful

xxx
"assess sociological explanations of gender differences in rates of crime and deviance. in your anser make use to family, religion, education...... (substntive topics)"

ok, obviously im gonna have to discuss theories such as sex role thoery etc..... BUT what do i put in the evaluative/criticising argument???? all i can think of is that females being less criniman is based on the OCS which is limitated! what else can i include!!!!
Reply 308
You could talk about how it's too simplistic to just consider gender - there are many other sociological divisions such as class, age and race which are equally important and may contribute to the lack of criminality in women.

Also - mention postmodernism - transgression theory.
Reply 309
does anyone have any really comprehensive notes on suicide.. becasue thats the only topic our teacher didnt do with us in any detail for some reason.. and reading through the thread it seems to be quite a major topic!

im about to post some notes of official stats..

thank you xx

3 days til sociology exam :frown: 6 days till falaraki!! :smile:
Reply 310
can i just say COMMON ENGLAND!! my dad and all his mates r sat around the telly watching the game and drinkin beers and im duin ****ty sociology revision!! :frown:
SugarExplosion
take some notes to the hairdressers. It'll help avoid the usual boring chit-chat of where you're going on holiday and what you're doing at the weekend and you'll also keep up with revision :smile:

good idea! i will do, cos apparently it could take like 6hrs (bleaching it down, then turning it blue. it's now black)
lots of revision to be done in that time :biggrin:

thankyou rachel for the happy bday!!!!!!!!!!! :biggrin: It will be, hopefully :biggrin: CHAMPAGNE BREAKFAST! WOO

Ive learnt about structural and subcultural theories now, and Durkheim! and that other dude..er..Hirschi! :biggrin: WOO
It's going well.
x clare
can i just say COMMON ENGLAND!! my dad and all his mates r sat around the telly watching the game and drinkin beers and im duin ****ty sociology revision!! :frown:

Agreed!!
And it's made me have to turn down 2 pub invites! I have my sociology book in my lap when watching the match!
Reply 313
tis_me_lord
I'm so majorly ****ed. :frown:

Can i join your club please!?
x clare
does anyone have any really comprehensive notes on suicide.. becasue thats the only topic our teacher didnt do with us in any detail for some reason.. and reading through the thread it seems to be quite a major topic!

im about to post some notes of official stats..

thank you xx

3 days til sociology exam :frown: 6 days till falaraki!! :smile:

im so jealous...i wanna go on holiday hehe!!!

i think way bk on this thread there r notes on suicide..i dont have that many either, i was told to mainly relate it to positivism/quantitative data (durkheim) and interpretivism/qualitative data (taylor, atkinson, douglas)

have u got those noted on OCS please???? - ive had another mind blank!!!

:confused:
burningwings
Agreed!!
And it's made me have to turn down 2 pub invites! I have my sociology book in my lap when watching the match!

but think of the brillmark ur gonna get in soc...and all of us hopefully! from all this revision!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY asweel for tommorrow!!!

xxx
Reply 316
xx josie
im so jealous...i wanna go on holiday hehe!!!

i think way bk on this thread there r notes on suicide..i dont have that many either, i was told to mainly relate it to positivism/quantitative data (durkheim) and interpretivism/qualitative data (taylor, atkinson, douglas)

have u got those noted on OCS please???? - ive had another mind blank!!!

:confused:

WOOOO!! 1-0! played poorly but gota result! :smile:

thanks for that.. least i know if im gona be looking at the right stuff now!!

ive nearly finished the OCS so il post it latest by the end of this evening xxxx
what sorts of questions may be asked on official statistics

The good thing about the questions is that you know two things:

1. Question format:

You will get an overly synoptic one (relate c and d to some other areas of the course).

You will get a “relate to methods” question

You will get a “sociological theory” question.

2. Question type: You will get a:

“Use the Item” type (“examine the relationship of c and d to other areas, for example)

An “identify and (briefly) explain type.

An “assess / evaluate” type.

The only thing you don’t know is in what order they’re going to be (although even here, “Identify and Explain” is usually one of the lower mark questions.

Thus, because the examiner is tied into a particular assessment structure there is a severe limit on the format / types of question they can ask (which should be a comfort).
does anyone have any really comprehensive notes on suicide

See the "Sociology of Suicide Notes" thread to download eveything you need (I'm feeling in a good mood 'cos England won:biggrin: )
xx josie
but think of the brillmark ur gonna get in soc...and all of us hopefully! from all this revision!!!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY asweel for tommorrow!!!

xxx

aaaaaaaaahahahaha. ohh ok, youre being serious?! :P
well..
i might get a B, but unless I get like 100/120 in this exam, I cant get an A....and I wont get that. So no A for me!
Oh well! A B'll get me into Bath.

Thanks for the bday wishes!!! Only 5hrs to go! :P

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending