Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
jesusofsuburbia
Badges: 11
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Get your school to contact them. They're obliged to offer feedback. You'll get much better explanations than random people on a forum who don't know the rest of your application.
ByronicHero
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Just means the other applicants, even on paper, were just far better such that they didn't feel there was any real chance of you being given an offer. It saves both parties the time and effort of an interview. It sucks, but you will still end up somewhere good with those grades so it doesn't really matter. You can, as stated, get feedback if you care enough
dobson92
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Did you have an aptitude test?
zxh800
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by raweed)
Hey I applied to queens college for engineering and got rejected for even an interview

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A
PHYSICS - B (5 UMS from an A)

I am carrying on all 4 at A2, my predicted are A*(Electronics), A, A, A.
My UMS for maths show A*

My GCSE's where average at 4A*'s 4A's 1B and a couple of NVQ's equivalent to 3 extra GCSE's

Anyone have any ideas why I would be rejected for even an interview? I wasn't keeping my hopes high for an offer but would have thought I'd at least get an interview.
What were your UMS scores exactly? And also, Electronics and Computing probably don't rank highly on the respected subjects tables judging by Trinity College's blacklist. So, relatively lower UMS in combination with 2 weak subject choices and a B in Physics probably meant you didn't make the cut.
ByronicHero
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by dobson92)
Did you have an aptitude test?
Cambridge tend to do that at interview do they not?
dobson92
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by paddy__power)
Cambridge tend to do that at interview do they not?
Yeah think they do now you mention it, haha. Have very little knowledge of their system, never applied. Just thought that might have been an area that contributed to the rejection if the test was sat pre interview like oxford.
tiffster
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Personal statement?
Captain Hindsight
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Hey I applied to queens college for engineering and got rejected for even an interview

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A

My UMS for maths show A*

My GCSE's where average at 4A*'s 4A's 1B and a couple of NVQ's equivalent to 3 extra GCSE's

Anyone have any ideas why I would be rejected for even an interview? I wasn't keeping my hopes high for an offer but would have thought I'd at least get an interview.
the physics probably brought you down, even though you were 5 UMS off an A

Sorry bro, but if you applied to cambridge i imagine you'll go to somewhere like Imperial or Brunel so i wouldn't worry too much they are great
logiadoevus
Badges: 2
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A

My UMS for maths show A*

I would say it's because of the A-levels of Computing and Electronics - they are not 'conventional' - and I don't mean they're easy, they're just not considered best for academic studies but are more vocational.

Furthermore, the decision is also based on PS and reference but I'd say that the A-levels would probably be the reason.

That said, with the results you're predicted, you'll surely be fine in another top institution. Besides, if you're doing computing and electronics, which are more practical/applied (as lcsurfer said), it might be that you'll really do better somewhere which is not so purely-academics based? Either way, good luck and don't worry!
honestly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A

My UMS for maths show A*

Raweed, well done with the good grades, contact cambridge and they will tell you why.... i assume its because of the physics, you need a an A or A* with a high UMS for the A grade....

what subject did you apply for?

electronics and computing are not as respected than say maths and further maths or simply maths at a high grade....

anyway more to the point, you should be eligible for Imperial College, UCL, Warwick and many other top unis, on paper your VERY good....

Honestly:o:rolleyes:
tehforum
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Yeah, because Cambridge Engineering is particularly competitive, it is likely the UMS may have been less than they wanted.
jesusofsuburbia
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Blackshadow)
They don't read it.
what?
soya salami
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
computing and electronics arent highly rated at oxford as they prefer more traditional subjects. Im sure it says that on their website
Silent--ly
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
In addition to what other people have said, the majority of applicants will have had further maths, which is pretty much a prerequisite for the course...
Deepshiii
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Blackshadow)
They don't read it.
Now, how could you possibly know that?:confused:
Charlesworth
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Deepshiii)
Now, how could you possibly know that?:confused:
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/...nal-statements

Whether that is 100% true for every college and course is another thing however. I would think for courses such as Medicine they would read it due to work experience ect.
alex_hk90
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A

My UMS for maths show A*

B in Physics, lack of Further Maths, only two 'traditional' subjects (Computing and Electronics probably would've been fine as long as you had three traditional subjects in addition), GCSEs not great, maybe your UMS also weren't great (if your average is below 90% then it would certainly be below average for Cambridge Engineering applicants).
GrandpaChilliSauce
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago

AS:
MATHS - A
COMPUTING - A
ELECTRONICS - A

My UMS for maths show A*

That must suck! It must be painful

If i were to comment on why you didn't get an interview offer, it must be your subject choices and predicted. My GCSE (equivalent) results were slight worse than yours and I got 3 As and 1 B for my AS too, but managed to gain an interview offer.
davros
  • Study Helper
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by lcsurfer)
Electronics is not a weak subject.
Its harder than maths as it actually needs you apply knowledge and theory to practice!
In general, true. For Cambridge, they are looking for strong performance in academic subjects. If the Physics grade had been higher, Electronics wouldn't be a problem. Computing is certainly considered a weak subject - Further Maths would be a better choice for Cambridge Engineering.
X
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Thu, 2 Jul '20
  • University of Cambridge
    Undergraduate Open Day Undergraduate
    Fri, 3 Jul '20

Which party will you be voting for in the General Election?

Conservatives (173)
18.99%
Labour (468)
51.37%
Liberal Democrats (121)
13.28%
Green Party (53)
5.82%
Brexit Party (13)
1.43%
Independent Group for Change (Change UK) (4)
0.44%
SNP (15)
1.65%
Plaid Cymru (4)
0.44%
Democratic Unionist Party (DUP) (0)
0%
Sinn Fein (6)
0.66%
SDLP (1)
0.11%
Ulster Unionist (4)