Reaction to life without parole Watch

This discussion is closed.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
All sounds a bit grim to me. I take no pleasure in any of the news revealed.

Am I supposed to be happy when two people ruin their lives almost on purpose for the sake of a bit of sadistic pleasure?
Notethis
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
while Amanda Knox walks free
Pax Amerifauna
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
As for the no entertainment, I think that's initially when they enter the system. Depending on their behavior, they will later get more privileges such as limited entertainment time, small prison jobs, or being able to visit family members without the glass.

Good for the judge and jury. These sick degenerates deserve it.
Pax Amerifauna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Notethis)
while Amanda Knox walks free
Rudy Guede, the guy who raped and actually killed Meredith Kercher, didn't.
DYKWIA
Badges: 13
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Good.
Notethis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pax Amerifauna)
Rudy Guede, the guy who raped and actually killed Meredith Kercher, didn't.
Rudy Guede, the man Fox network et als thought they could portray as the sole perpetrator of the crime, to the American public, on the basis that he was black, is in prison, and the Americans feel better about themselves, and, while it might not be pronounced at the dinner table, they can now at least inwardly confirm their previous suspicions about racial superiority.

1/3 is a terrible score
Einheri
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 122025278)
If you read any of my posts on this site you'd realise I'm rather conservative and have long advocated life sentences especially for mindless violence such as someone being killed on a night out.

My OP is more of an analysis of their reaction than anything else, I never mentioned an opinion on their sentence. The fact that most people "take it like a man" and these two didn't, was interesting.
I've no idea who you are - 122025278 isn't exactly a memorable username. Reading your post, with no fore-knowledge of your ideological leanings, I came to the conclusion that you were sympathetic towards them.

(Original post by rockrunride)
Am I supposed to be happy when two people ruin their lives almost on purpose for the sake of a bit of sadistic pleasure?
No, but if you have any sense of justice you'd be happy that two people who brutally murdered a toddler are behind bars and likely to stay there.
Pax Amerifauna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Rudy Guede, the man Fox network et als thought they could portray as the sole perpetrator of the crime, to the American public, on the basis that he was black, is in prison, and the Americans feel better about themselves, and, while it might not be pronounced at the dinner table, they can now at least inwardly confirm their previous suspicions about racial superiority.

1/3 is a terrible score
Rudy Guede, a petty thief and criminal, who had a background of breaking and entering whose DNA clearly linked him to the attack. Versus 2 college students who had no motive to kill her and who barely knew Guede. It's nothing to do with race.
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
We need some of that over here.
DYKWIA
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago

1/3 is a terrible score
This is OT, but you don't have all the facts. The reason he is in prison is because the facts point to him killing that woman. It has nothing to do with race, whatsoever. It is a coincidence that the case in this thread and the rudy guede trial both involved black people. The US judicial system works fine and is in no way racially biased.
contra
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
obviousley they were horrible crimes, but the way the judical system works best is not to put revenge first, but rehabilitation, thus rendering the idea of life without parole completely pointless.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKBQ-RmEb4

The reaction of two girls in their early 20's sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. As the judge passes sentence they both collapse, while in prison uniforms, handcuffed with ankle chains, clearly unable to make a run for it. Both of them start howling and crying, their family are hysterical, one of the mothers is crying and screaming and is dragged out, another family member takes longer to be removed. Both girls are then placed in chairs and wheeled out to begin life without parole.

First time I've ever really thought about it, but you can tell by the emotion from the girls and their family it's clearly quite distressing for them, usually you get the image of a stone faced convict who doesn't seem bothered, but these two really were. I wonder if this was going through their heads:

They'll never be able to have a family of their own
They'll spend 23 hours locked up in a cell for the rest of their life
Disgusting cheap American prison food for ethernity (no McDonalds/KFC/fast food)
No possibility of an appeal
They'll never be able to have sex with a guy again
No chance of a family of their own
Possiblity of being attacked or killed in prison for the rest of their life
The unimagineable boredom from having no entertainment (no TV's, PS3, computers or internet)
Never able to be with your family, even at their funerals

I'd be pissed too!
how do you know they won't have McDonalds/KFC/fast food?

what if one of those firms gets a contract to supply prison food?
AberLAD
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Karma is a *****, and that ***** just knocked them both clean out!

They both deserve putting down for what they did, they've got off lightly in my opinion.
Notethis
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by DYKWIA)
This is OT, but you don't have all the facts. The reason he is in prison is because the facts point to him killing that woman. It has nothing to do with race, whatsoever. It is a coincidence that the case in this thread and the rudy guede trial both involved black people. The US judicial system works fine and is in no way racially biased.
I'm sure the US judicial system works fine, but the US media and its influence on public perception is far from fine. I think the staged break-in, her DNA on the knife, perjury and the woman's footprint, which didn't belong to Kercher and was stained with her blood are facts enough for conviction.
Jackso
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
All sounds a bit grim to me. I take no pleasure in any of the news revealed.

Pretty much, yeah. You did a good job of walking around the fact that they murdered a three year old, though.
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 7 years ago
I'm sure the US judicial system works fine, but the US media and its influence on public perception is far from fine. I think the staged break-in, her DNA on the knife, perjury and the woman's footprint, which didn't belong to Kercher and was stained with her blood are facts enough for conviction.
You forgot an important point of law
Pax Amerifauna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by MagicNMedicine)
how do you know they won't have McDonalds/KFC/fast food?

what if one of those firms gets a contract to supply prison food?
US prisons (like everyone else) are trying to cut costs and get the cheapest food, so you're probably right that Micky D's will do the catering.
MagicNMedicine
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Pax Amerifauna)
US prisons (like everyone else) are trying to cut costs and get the cheapest food, so you're probably right that Micky D's will do the catering.
Thats against human rights surely. They shouldn't be forced to eat cardboard burgers.
Dirac Delta Function
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
Isn't it sad how our system would hand them benefits, rights to vote and free things for life plus compensation after 10 years behind bars if they did the crime here?

I love US justice when its goes against the scum. Its not 100% but when it hits you bet your ass its going to be a full-on kick in the balls.
Yup. Lady Justice just served a double ***** slap.
Jordenfruitbat
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKBQ-RmEb4

The reaction of two girls in their early 20's sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. As the judge passes sentence they both collapse, while in prison uniforms, handcuffed with ankle chains, clearly unable to make a run for it. Both of them start howling and crying, their family are hysterical, one of the mothers is crying and screaming and is dragged out, another family member takes longer to be removed. Both girls are then placed in chairs and wheeled out to begin life without parole.

First time I've ever really thought about it, but you can tell by the emotion from the girls and their family it's clearly quite distressing for them, usually you get the image of a stone faced convict who doesn't seem bothered, but these two really were. I wonder if this was going through their heads:

They'll never be able to have a family of their own
They'll spend 23 hours locked up in a cell for the rest of their life
Disgusting cheap American prison food for ethernity (no McDonalds/KFC/fast food)
No possibility of an appeal
They'll never be able to have sex with a guy again
No chance of a family of their own
Possiblity of being attacked or killed in prison for the rest of their life
The unimagineable boredom from having no entertainment (no TV's, PS3, computers or internet)
Never able to be with your family, even at their funerals

I'd be pissed too!
They killed a young girl they very very much had it coming, and really don't deserve any of the luxuries of life....
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
16.09%
The paper was reasonable (129)
49.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (32)
12.26%

Watched Threads