Reaction to life without parole Watch

This discussion is closed.
ch0llima
Badges: 14
Report 7 years ago
First of all, how would you react? I know that being given this news would tear me apart and I don't know how I would personally cope. These two committed a terrible crime (http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=11458769 for background) and must have had some idea that this sentence was coming, even though prior knowledge would not make hearing the news any more palatable. It's actually the family members in the public gallery that are in hysterics, with the women themselves merely collapsing in panic.

Life imprisonment is arguably a worse punishment long term than the death penalty; yes, you get to live where your victim(s) doesn't(don't), but what kind of life is it for you? None. An empty, grey existence where every day is the same as the one before. An empty, grey existence where you are kept clothed, fed and in reasonable health for long periods despite having very little to do and no hope of any kind of change. An empty, grey existence where you spend 23 hours a day locked in a cell wondering what could have been? No holidays for you. No cinema trips. No career. No freedom to choose your own accommodation. No meals out or any kind of luxury whatsoever. No family Christmases or birthday celebrations with your friends. Just locked in a concrete box under constant surveillance in a prison system which is far tougher and more efficiently run than ours is.

Perhaps the moment of death is the ultimate release, as opposed to the death penalty being the ultimate punishment? I am resolutely opposed to the death penalty as, in my opinion, life without parole is a much greater punishment. It is also a cheaper option for the American taxpayer, as well as being entirely reversible in the event of new evidence coming to light and a successful appeal.

Oh, and this isn't the first time something like this has happened:

WelshBluebird
Badges: 16
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Perhaps you should mention what they actually did in your OP, before seeming to sympathise with them.
chrislpp
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
In the UK they'd just get told not to do it again.
Craig_D
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They'll never be able to have a family of their own
Neither will the deceased 3 year old.
They'll spend 23 hours locked up in a cell for the rest of their life
The child will never see another hour, never mind the luxury of an hour a day.
Disgusting cheap American prison food for ethernity (no McDonalds/KFC/fast food)
The child will never eat again, for eternity.
No possibility of an appeal
No possibility of the child being resurrected either.
They'll never be able to have sex with a guy again
The child will never even have the chance to love, or even understand it.
Possiblity of being attacked or killed in prison for the rest of their life
You mean someone may do unto them as they have done to others? But seriously, they'll be protected by the guards, which is more protection than the child got.
The unimagineable boredom from having no entertainment (no TV's, PS3, computers or internet)
Better bored than not alive at all.
Never able to be with your family, even at their funerals
The child's family will never see it again.

Sorry to harp on about the whole 'murdering a three year old' thing, but they murdered a three year old. I don't have much sympathy for them. I certainly don't believe in the death penalty, but these women have a debt to repay. They didn't take the child's life away for a day, or even 25 years, they taken its life for eternity, the effects of the crime will never end, so why should their punishment?
james22
Badges: 15
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Does life without parole mean that they will never be released, unless they are found not to have done it? Also why can't they apeal? I though you were allowed so many of them.
JOR2010
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by HARRY PUTAH)
Isn't it sad how our system would hand them benefits, rights to vote and free things for life plus compensation after 10 years behind bars if they did the crime here?

I love US justice when its goes against the scum. Its not 100% but when it hits you bet your ass its going to be a full-on kick in the balls.
Hear hear.
fudgesundae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 122025278)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gfKBQ-RmEb4

The reaction of two girls in their early 20's sentenced to life without the possibility of parole. As the judge passes sentence they both collapse, while in prison uniforms, handcuffed with ankle chains, clearly unable to make a run for it. Both of them start howling and crying, their family are hysterical, one of the mothers is crying and screaming and is dragged out, another family member takes longer to be removed. Both girls are then placed in chairs and wheeled out to begin life without parole.

First time I've ever really thought about it, but you can tell by the emotion from the girls and their family it's clearly quite distressing for them, usually you get the image of a stone faced convict who doesn't seem bothered, but these two really were. I wonder if this was going through their heads:

Disgusting cheap American prison food for ethernity (no McDonalds/KFC/fast food)
No chance of a family of their own
The unimagineable boredom from having no entertainment (no TV's, PS3, computers or internet)

I'd be pissed too!
I hope they were crying from guilt. It makes me glad to know that they will spend the rest of their rotten lives having to contemplate what they have done.
fudgesundae
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by ch0llima)
First of all, how would you react? I know that being given this news would tear me apart and I don't know how I would personally cope. These two committed a terrible crime (http://www.wistv.com/global/story.asp?s=11458769 for background) and must have had some idea that this sentence was coming, even though prior knowledge would not make hearing the news any more palatable. It's actually the family members in the public gallery that are in hysterics, with the women themselves merely collapsing in panic.

Life imprisonment is arguably a worse punishment long term than the death penalty; yes, you get to live where your victim(s) doesn't(don't), but what kind of life is it for you? None. An empty, grey existence where every day is the same as the one before. An empty, grey existence where you are kept clothed, fed and in reasonable health for long periods despite having very little to do and no hope of any kind of change. An empty, grey existence where you spend 23 hours a day locked in a cell wondering what could have been? No holidays for you. No cinema trips. No career. No freedom to choose your own accommodation. No meals out or any kind of luxury whatsoever. No family Christmases or birthday celebrations with your friends. Just locked in a concrete box under constant surveillance in a prison system which is far tougher and more efficiently run than ours is.

Perhaps the moment of death is the ultimate release, as opposed to the death penalty being the ultimate punishment? I am resolutely opposed to the death penalty as, in my opinion, life without parole is a much greater punishment. It is also a cheaper option for the American taxpayer, as well as being entirely reversible in the event of new evidence coming to light and a successful appeal.

Oh, and this isn't the first time something like this has happened:

Agreed, I also think that life without parole is a worse punishment than the death penalty. Having to live for 40, 50, 60 or even more years like that is a punishment far worse than death.
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jackso)
Pretty much, yeah. You did a good job of walking around the fact that they murdered a three year old, though.
It doesn't make me "happy", though. Someone died and they're not coming back.
ckingalt
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
It will cost American taxpayers about $45,000 dollars a year per person to keep them incarcerated. Money well spent.
Jackso
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by rockrunride)
It doesn't make me "happy", though. Someone died and they're not coming back.
Indeed. However, their reactions should make you smile a bit, "Jonny." I would like to see you smile. Life in jail suits those two down to the ground.
Helpful_Charlie
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
People should be allowed to choose between death or imprisonment.
+ polarity -
Badges: 21
Report 7 years ago
lol wtf
rockrunride
Badges: 19
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by Jackso)
Indeed. However, their reactions should make you smile a bit, "Jonny." I would like to see you smile. Life in jail suits those two down to the ground.
My name is my name and not quoted from anywhere :ta:

Yes it does suit them but I take no pleasure from it.
Pax Amerifauna
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by james22)
Does life without parole mean that they will never be released, unless they are found not to have done it? Also why can't they apeal? I though you were allowed so many of them.
Life without parole generally does mean just that. The reason these women can't appeal is because they entered into an Alford plea, which they did in the hopes of reducing their sentence. They could've gotten the death penalty.
Teknik
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
**** them
Hevinha
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
They got given a well deserved sentence. That poor child!
IloveTan
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAAAAAAAA
HAHAHAHAHAH ROFL LOL LMAO Good.
Ministerdonut
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
Pity the killers of Baby P couldn't have faced that judge,in that courtroom in that country.

Or for instance this piece of trash

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...ase-years.html

Living it up catching the sunrays moaning about the rubbish meat.

I have no idea why they reacted like that, surely their lawyers explained to them what the likely sentence would be? Over there a life sentence means a long long time in prison, normally about 30 years before parole is even thought about,Varies state to state, but child killing is taken pretty seriously in the US by the judicary.

I would understand the reaction maybe slightly more if they got that sentence here, as child abusers get treated very leniently in my opinion so it would be a shock . No doubt if it happened, the judge would probably be breaking some sentencing 'guideline' and end up being sacked, the criminals lawyer would appeal and the judge could end up being sued for the criminals PTSD.
DirtyPrettyThing
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 7 years ago
(Original post by 122025278)
No chance of a family of their own

I'd be pissed too!
f*** 'em, the *****es had it coming.
X
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA A-level Business Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (42)
16.09%
The paper was reasonable (129)
49.43%
Not feeling great about that exam... (58)
22.22%
It was TERRIBLE (32)
12.26%

Watched Threads