Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    if you feel alright on your current diet, then i cba to suggest you change it. How do you feel

ReputationRep:
    for protein you can eat pulses, beans and nuts. Watch a bit of Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat, she'll give you a few ideas and maybe leave you feeling a bit guilty about your diet

ReputationRep:
    For a protein source you could try eating some nuts and seeds. Maybe try adding some sunflower, pumpkin or sesame seeds to soups or stirfrys if you're not sure how to eat them. They taste quite nice if you roast them in the oven too and then you can just snack on them. They're very high in calories and fat but they contain the sort of fat that is good for you and they fill you up quite nicely even though they're so small. Just eat a small quantity of them.

ReputationRep:
    A really good source of protein (but also very high in fat) are things like pumpkin seeds and sunflower seeds well basically nuts and seeds that generally contain about 20g of protein per 100g. But still be careful they contain about 45g of fat per 100g and although that's alot it isn't bad fat so you could try it.
    Hope it helped.
    Patrick

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sydney)
    for protein you can eat pulses, beans and nuts. Watch a bit of Gillian McKeith's You Are What You Eat, she'll give you a few ideas and maybe leave you feeling a bit guilty about your diet
    i do hope thats a joke. that 'gillian mcKeith' woman knows absolutely nothing. i just typed her in on google image search and the 3rd picture along is her with my cousin, i feel ashamed.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bis432)
    i do hope thats a joke. that 'gillian mcKeith' woman knows absolutely nothing. i just typed her in on google image search and the 3rd picture along is her with my cousin, i feel ashamed.
    I'm sure her qualifications as a nutritionist would disagree with you there....

I don't mean follow her regime devoutly, just take on board the information when she talks about superfoods, like seaweed mmmmmm :p:

ReputationRep:
    Eggs are a good source of protein too if you're stuck!

Lou
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sydney)
    I'm sure her qualifications as a nutritionist would disagree with you there....

I don't mean follow her regime devoutly, just take on board the information when she talks about superfoods, like seaweed mmmmmm :p:
    what qualifications? her degree in english?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ~*Sweetness*~)
    For a protein source you could try eating some nuts and seeds. Maybe try adding some sunflower, pumpkin or sesame seeds to soups or stirfrys if you're not sure how to eat them. They taste quite nice if you roast them in the oven too and then you can just snack on them. They're very high in calories and fat but they contain the sort of fat that is good for you and they fill you up quite nicely even though they're so small. Just eat a small quantity of them.
    Thanks! That's some really great advice!

--------------

(Original post by rock_eleven)
    if you feel alright on your current diet, then i cba to suggest you change it. How do you feel
    I don't feel alright as I know I could potentially be harming my insides but other than that, I feel right as rain!

--------------

I know everyone is gonna hate me as I'm things so difficult but tbh I don't really like nuts, the only nuts I like are peanuts and that's dry roasted or salted, and I know they are bad for me.
    I also don't like seeds apart from poppy seeds in crackers they are lovely!
    I don't like meat, eggs, cheese. So what else could make my diet better or am I just a lost cause?

ReputationRep:
    Fish?

ReputationRep:
    I like fish fingers lol :confused:

ReputationRep:
    It is VERY poor indeed. Even if you don't eat meat, get some protein down your neck, either with shakes or milk.

With a lack of protein, yes, your body will not be able to function half as well as if you had a balanced diet.

Sort it out.

ReputationRep:
    I agree shes an idiot. she looks awful which really does not sell her diet and she's clearly never heard of enjoying herself.
    OMG tho is "jo" really ur cousin. thats amazing. consider me in awe!

to original poster.
    if u feel healthy and are a healthy weight then just live for the now. ur young worry about this when ur older

or if u want some protein just add cheese to stuff. and try sticking sum veg in with pasta etc. u mite find u actually quite like it

ReputationRep:
    Its not that bad, no, improvements can definitely be made but I wouldn't worry too much about it if I were you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by chel)
    I agree shes an idiot. she looks awful which really does not sell her diet and she's clearly never heard of enjoying herself.
    OMG tho is "jo" really ur cousin. thats amazing. consider me in awe!
    yes. she rules.

ReputationRep:
    Yeah I agree, she's not very realistic is she? I thought she was alright, but on closer examination she's just annoying with her anally strict rules - they don't really help half the time (e.g. wtf, can't eat meat with bread because it makes you fart and may eventually kill you :rolleyes: Going a bit too far IMO). Agreed totally :cool:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    Yeah I agree, she's not very realistic is she? I thought she was alright, but on closer examination she's just annoying with her anally strict rules - they don't really help half the time (e.g. wtf, can't eat meat with bread because it makes you fart and may eventually kill you :rolleyes: Going a bit too far IMO). Agreed totally :cool:
    precisely. and the funniest thing is that her 'qualifications' are not even real, she bought them off the internet, she has almost no idea what she is talking about so she just goes over the top. she has even said ridiculous things like 'ditch fizzy drinks, caffeine and sugar - they are all stored as fat in the thighs and tummy'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clairehayz)
    I have a very simple diet, I eat cereal, bread and pasta so mostly carbohydrates and then when I'm not eating carbs I eat fat such as chocolate or in general junk like cakes etc
    I eat vegetables with my roast dinners which I have on average once every month but other than that I don't really eat any other food group (I maye have some fruit occasionally or fruit yoghurts, I don't eat meats or poultry (even when I have roast dinner) and I just wondered if I should change my diet?
    Is it that bad? Am I slowly killing myself?

Thankyou for any replies
    that is very unhealthy, haven't you listened to any nutrition advice before?you must have some health probs: overweight/skin/headaches/constipation/tiredness?....if i were you i would take a radical look at what you are feeding your body.

and yeh gillian mckeith can be a bit of anal/new age/tree hugging/poo examining crap but i have a hell of a lot of respect for her- she makes a lot of sense, and i am willing to bet she has probably done a lot for the eating habits of many brits. i have certainly followed a lot of her advice- things like eating good fats, oily fish, fresh veg and juice, seeds and nuts, soya etc....

ReputationRep:
    beans are not a complete protein source. then again, not many non-meat food items are.
    It's all about the protein complimentation: combine two low biological value proteins to make up the essential amino acids.

Good example - beans on toast also drink orange juice with this meal as the vitamin C aids the absorbtion of iron into the bloodstream.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clairehayz)
    I like fish fingers lol :confused:
    Fish is a good source of protein, which is relatively low in calories compared to, say, red meat and cheese. Fish fingers aren't the best option, but better than no fish at all I suppose!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.