Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to be flamed for this.

I think healthy diets are overrated. I eat utter rubbish and I am the healthiest person I know. The problem is that over the last few years, the 'healthy diet industry' has gone into overdrive and made people paranoid about what they eat, to the point where they eat supposed healthy diets for the sake of it, rather than because it will do them good.

I'm not advocating poor eating till the point where you become vitamin-x depraved. But calorie cutting and good dose of omega-3 daily will do far more good for your heart and lifespan than a large dose of vegetables ever will. (edit: I mean a higher dose of vegetables than you need, not that you should neglect vegetables for omega-3)

The human body is fantastic at using what you give it to the needed level, and disposing of what it does not need. But the with the paraniod level of advertising you see today you would be forgiving for thinking that the odd Big Mac will make your arteries explode.

Sorry, that was more of a rant about the state of the health food industry that a response to the OP. Diet advice? Eat a decent amount of oily fish, walnuts or take omega-3 fish oil supplements (if you cannot get the recommended amount any other way). You should be aiming for 1000 mg a day. Good luck.

Edit: various changes in brackets.

*Jaded

ReputationRep:
    if you find yourself able to eat junk and feel good, thats cool. I for one know that when I eat clean, I feel and perform much better than when I eat ****.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by twiga)
    Good example - beans on toast
    psh. hardly.

--------------

(Original post by JadedHippy)
    I'm going to be flamed for this.

I think healthy diets are overrated. I eat utter rubbish and I am the healthiest person I know. The problem is that over the last few years, the 'healthy diet industry' has gone into overdrive and made people paranoid about what they eat, to the point where they eat supposed healthy diets for the sake of it, rather than because it will do them good.

I'm not advocating poor eating till the point where you become vitamin-x depraved. But calorie cutting and good dose of omega-3 daily will do far more good for your heart and lifespan than a large dose of vegetables ever will.

The human body is fantastic at using what you give it to the needed level, and disposing of what it does not need. But the with the paraniod level of advertising you see today you would be forgiving for thinking that the odd Big Mac will make your arteries explode.

Sorry, that was more of a rant about the state of the health food industry that a response to the OP. Diet advice? Eat a decent amount of oily fish, or take omega-3 fish oil supplements. You should be aiming for 1000 mg a day. Good luck.

*Jaded
    thats complete crap.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mademoiselle84)
    that is very unhealthy, haven't you listened to any nutrition advice before?you must have some health probs: overweight/skin/headaches/constipation/tiredness?....if i were you i would take a radical look at what you are feeding your body.

and yeh gillian mckeith can be a bit of anal/new age/tree hugging/poo examining crap but i have a hell of a lot of respect for her- she makes a lot of sense, and i am willing to bet she has probably done a lot for the eating habits of many brits. i have certainly followed a lot of her advice- things like eating good fats, oily fish, fresh veg and juice, seeds and nuts, soya etc....
    I have been gettin a few headaches lately as it goes....

--------------

Well thankyou everyone for replying, I think I'm gonna start eating vegetables with my pasta and tuna as well, I fortgot how much I actually liked it in pasta as I haven't had it for so long.
    If you have anymore suggestions then I'd love to hear them, I just need to get fruit down me without actually thinking I'm eating something healthy! I just like being a rebel I spose lol like I'll go for a choc bar coz I spose it's the forbidden fruit! Excuse the pun lol.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Clairehayz)
    I have been gettin a few headaches lately as it goes....

--------------

Well thankyou everyone for replying, I think I'm gonna start eating vegetables with my pasta and tuna as well, I fortgot how much I actually liked it in pasta as I haven't had it for so long.
    If you have anymore suggestions then I'd love to hear them, I just need to get fruit down me without actually thinking I'm eating something healthy! I just like being a rebel I spose lol like I'll go for a choc bar coz I spose it's the forbidden fruit! Excuse the pun lol.
    i just wanted to comment your sig, you've got 15 warnings, banned once and don't think that you have done anything wrong?!

ReputationRep:
    asking for rep in the signature is probably the cause of some of the warnings... just take it off, post normally, and ppl will want to rep you and the red gem will go away.

ReputationRep:
    But people don't rep me otherwise. Trust me I know. And there are *****y people on here who neg repped me to spite me such as Trigger and Profesh. 13 points of that warning shouldn't even be there, a mod put them there by mistake and said they would take them off and still hasn't.

If you don't know why I got the neg reps then I don't need you criticism or your opinions. Talk about judge a book by it's cover.

ReputationRep:
    jugding by my own diet i'll probably be dead by 30...

if only i wasn't such a fussy eater

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, why? What do eat that's bad?

ReputationRep:
    Try fruit smoothies. the innocent ones are really good, but theyre a bit expensive. if youve got a smoothie maker, then make them yourself.
    You said you were going to try vegetables and tuna in pasta. you should get the bertolli roast veg. pasta sauce. when i do this i buy extra vegetables to put with it, like courgette, mushroom, peppers, aubergeine, brocolli, onion and garlic, roast them in the oven for about 15-30 mins, untill theyre a bit crispy, then add the sauce and pasta, and cheese if you want it, and put it in the oven untill the cheese has melted or its hot, you can add bacon to this as well
    You can get tuna bake in the sachets, you just add water and pasta to it and put it in the oven.
    For a meat subsitute try quorn stuff.
    When i go shopping, instead of buying chocolate bars and biscuits, i buy fruit and cereal bars. try cereal with fruit in as well, like special k, fitness or fruit n fibre. and bad things are ok once in a while, just not everyday! make sure you drink at least 2 ltrs or water a day as well. i know this sounds like a lot, but once you get into the habit of it, its easy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bis432)
    thats complete crap.
    Which part?
    The overzealousness of the healthy food industry?
    The obsession about healthy eating nowadays? (fair enough these are subjective)
    The benefits of Omega-3 from fish oils and calorie cutting on the heart and lifespan in comparison to vegetables?

The OP asked for advise to improve his diet and since most of the basics had been covered by other posters I thought that I would chime in about fish oil.

:dontknow:

*Jaded

Edit: after re-reading my post I don't mean to imply that you should cut down on vegetables as a way of keeping your heart healthy because you have a good intake of omega 3. Rather, I mean it would be insane to presume that vegetables can be used as a replaced for omega 3 in your diet. Particularly if you have a rather large intake of omega 6.

ReputationRep:
    Hehe, why? What do eat that's bad?
    its not as much what i eat, its what i dont eat thats the problem. There are only a select few vegetables i like, and unless i make a past meal, then i don't really eat that much veg a day. And i think the only fruit i can eat is apples. I do try to subsidise it by drinking plenty of water,andalso suger free-additive free-fruit squash/fresh fruit juice.

I'm not overly keen on meat, and never eat red meat. I do eat fish etc so plenty of white meats but i'm sure i should be eating both types

I'm a carb addict...its one of my biggest cravings...and the main reason i'm having difficulty losing weight. Well that and the alcohol

So overall not really healthy, am trying to try more food in an attempt to find helthoier stuff i like but i have gotton to far with that yet :s:

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I have someone who loves carbs!
    We can be unhealthy together! lol

ReputationRep:
    Yay! I have someone who loves carbs!
    We can be unhealthy together! lol
    yeah i'm cooking pasta atm, my attempt at being healthy is that i'm going to chuck some peas in there too

ReputationRep:
    Which part?
    The overzealousness of the healthy food industry?
    The obsession about healthy eating nowadays? (fair enough these are subjective)
    The benefits of Omega-3 from fish oils and calorie cutting on the heart and lifespan in comparison to vegetables?

The OP asked for advise to improve his diet and since most of the basics had been covered by other posters I thought that I would chime in about fish oil.

:dontknow:

*Jaded

Edit: after re-reading my post I don't mean to imply that you should cut down on vegetables as a way of keeping your heart healthy because you have a good intake of omega 3. Rather, I mean it would be insane to presume that vegetables can be used as a replaced for omega 3 in your diet. Particularly if you have a rather large intake of omega 6.
    the cut down vegetables and take omega 3 supplements, and just about all of it. you probably have no idea of the function of fatty acids.

ReputationRep:
    the cut down vegetables and take omega 3 supplements, and just about all of it. you probably have no idea of the function of fatty acids.
    Well, firstly as I said in the last post I never advocated cutting down on vegetables. I said they should not be used a replacement for fish oil (or some other source of omega-3) as a primary way of keeping your heart healthy (ie free from heart disease)
    And yes omega-3 (and 6) are important as they are essential fatty acids that our bodies cannot produce naturally. And they should be maintained in a good rations of about 1:1 to 1:3ish. Test show that a good intake of omega 3 greatly reduces the chances of heart disease by cutting down the amount of fat in the bloodstream. Which of course means there will be less clogging of the vains and arteries in the heart.

*Jaded

ReputationRep:
    Well, firstly as I said in the last post I never advocated cutting down on vegetables. I said they should not be used a replacement for fish oil (or some other source of omega-3) as a primary way of keeping your heart healthy (ie free from heart disease)
    And yes omega-3 (and 6) are important as they are essential fatty acids that our bodies cannot produce naturally. And they should be maintained in a good rations of about 1:1 to 1:3ish. Test show that a good intake of omega 3 greatly reduces the chances of heart disease by cutting down the amount of fat in the bloodstream. Which of course means there will be less clogging of the vains and arteries in the heart.

*Jaded
    clogging up our vains? i didn't know we had egotistical things in our heart.

by the way, a lot of what you said was wrong. and cutting down vegetables and getting omega 3 from supplements is plain dumb.

ReputationRep:
    by the way, a lot of what you said was wrong. and cutting down vegetables and getting omega 3 from supplements is plain dumb.
    3rd time. I did not say cut down on vegetables :confused:

Also I gave supplements as an 'alternative' to oily fish. Some people cannot stand fish or are living on a tight budget. And yes, fish oil capsules are a valid alternative. In hindsight I should have mentioned things such as walnuts and flax seeds which are up there with oily fish as the best sources.

*Jaded

ReputationRep:
    you pretty much implied that vegetables are crap, that eating mcdonalds and other trash is possibly healthy and that omega-3 supplements are the way forward.
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    PS Reviewer
    What counts as oily fish for omega 3 purposes?

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2006
Poll
Did you get less than your required grades and still get into university?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.