Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    my name is Harry Potter, i recently slaughtered my house elf Dobby because he is a basty! what should i do? my neighbour saw me do it and called the cops. now they are after me. im hiding at my mates house. if you have any suggestions please please send me a message. anything will do, any advice at all!
    p.s. im a missionary, so if you give me a fiver i WILL show you Jesus!

Harry Potter xxxx

ReputationRep:
    Hmm... makes sense.

*spots him a fiver*

ReputationRep:
    Bored are we?

ReputationRep:
    This thread is a conundrum for a mod like me - I would delete it, but I found it funny and it's not harming anyone? But then again it's no good either...Hmmmm! decisions decisions!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Gnostic)
    You made negative comments about Christianity in your post, hence you are a racist.

Nah, I didn't think that made sense either! Some strangely do...
    Gosh you are bitter and you do hold grudges.

Don't worry - there is nothing wrong with what you said earlier. I don't think you are racist...I think it's so horribly dogmatic not to be able to question religion.

ReputationRep:
    if i give you a tenner can i meet the devil?

we'd have much more to talk about

ReputationRep:
    You made negative comments about Christianity in your post, hence you are a racist.

Nah, I didn't think that made sense either! Some strangely do...
    Since when was christianity a race?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by snowed_in_again)
    my name is Harry Potter, i recently slaughtered my house elf Dobby because he is a basty! what should i do? my neighbour saw me do it and called the cops. now they are after me. im hiding at my mates house. if you have any suggestions please please send me a message. anything will do, any advice at all!
    p.s. im a missionary, so if you give me a fiver i WILL show you Jesus!

Harry Potter xxxx
    £5? That must be the rip-off of the century!

ReputationRep:
    Exactly. In a previous post I was accused of being racist because I was critical of Islam. Last time I checked, Islam was a religion, not a race.
    Religion and race are two different things.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    Gosh you are bitter and you do hold grudges.

Don't worry - there is nothing wrong with what you said earlier. I don't think you are racist...I think it's so horribly dogmatic not to be able to question religion.

He was not questioning your right to question religion, just your right to be disrespectful of others beliefs.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    He was not questioning your right to question religion, just your right to be disrespectful of others beliefs.
    I know it's good to be respectful of others' religions but in most cases it is very difficult when we live in a society of free speech and the idea of being able to express views- our opinions are what makes us who we are. We are not attacking those who believe in these things but pointing out the subtle flaws that we think exist in the belief...

You cannot seem to have a debate about religion any more without offending people. Religious people's faith should be strong enough for them to NOT take offence, and not feel that their religion is threatened. And they should be able to argue out points about it without treating it as a personal attack.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Adhsur)
    I know it's good to be respectful of others' religions but in most cases it is very difficult when we live in a society of free speech and the idea of being able to express views- our opinions are what makes us who we are. We are not attacking those who believe in these things but pointing out the subtle flaws that we think exist in the belief...

You cannot seem to have a debate about religion any more without offending people. Religious people's faith should be strong enough for them to NOT take offence, and not feel that their religion is threatened. And they should be able to argue out points about it without treating it as a personal attack.

I agree that you should be able to criticise other peoples religions, but not be unnecessarily insulting.
    P.S. This is not to say I believe you were being very insulting.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by hitchhiker_13)
    there's a difference between questioning other peoples beliefs and being disrespectful to them. sometimes people just don't like to question beliefs regardless of how little justification they have for them, saying they find something "disrespectful" or "offensive" in such a case just doesn't wash with me as its blatently an attempt to avoid answering the challenge. if you believe something you should be able to defend it. if not then theres no reason for you to believe it.

ReputationRep:
    How does a fiver translate into american cash?

ReputationRep:
    5.00 GBP = 9.45950 USD

It's usually a bit less but the dollar is so weak!

ReputationRep:
    Perhaps I was a little bit bitter .

But I was quite shocked at being accused of being a racist just for criticising Islam. I think its disgusting that some people would accuse someone of such a horrible thing as racism just because that person has critical views of their religion.

Playing the race card to prevent scrutiny of a belief-system is intolerable.
    no .. i believe that u were called a racist because u sed some crap abt arab imperialism or sumthin like that, not becoz u criticized islam. but n e way ure entitled to ur opinions ... i jus fail to understand y ppl even bother tlkn bout religion ... i think they r the most useless threads around ... thats jus my opinion tho

Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: February 15, 2004
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.