Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    When I was applying to unis and had to go to an interview at Imperial the interviewer asked me "Had any other interviews?" and I told her "Yes, I had one for Trinity, Cambridge", "Oh, did you get an offer?" "Yes, found out last week".

Didn't seem to change anything. I did the interview, and a fortnight or so later got an offer.
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    CV Helper
    i got my offer from Cam and a few days later was rejected by York (although most of the people at my interview had unconds from there pre A level). Haven't heard from Warwick though. I'm not sure what to think of it all but if you get into your first choice like i did you don't care about the rejections!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AlphaNumeric)
    When I was applying to unis and had to go to an interview at Imperial the interviewer asked me "Had any other interviews?" and I told her "Yes, I had one for Trinity, Cambridge", "Oh, did you get an offer?" "Yes, found out last week".

Didn't seem to change anything. I did the interview, and a fortnight or so later got an offer.
    Maybe that's not too surprising, actually. The important thing for them is to know what category to put you in (are you likely to choose them as firm, insurance or not at all?) for their own statistics, so they can accurately gauge the amount of offers to give out, since they have an interest in obtaining the best possible students, but cannot afford to give out too many (it is very expensive to have extra students).

Let's say (from past statistics) they know that on average 1 in 10 applicants holding Cambridge offers actually prefer Imperial (or end up there as insurance), and they have one place left. They can afford to give 10 offers to those holding Cambridge offers, and this way they can pick up an excellent student for that place--someone who has already been tested by Cambridge's application and interview process. If, on the other hand, they only suspect you might have received an offer from Oxbridge (because you applied before Oct. 15), they might actually give out too many offers to what are actually Oxbridge rejects, or vice versa, have too few accept because they hold offers form Oxbridge.

With the same logic, I think some unis wait so long to give offers because they are waiting to see if you are really interested--Oxbridge offer holders are encouraged to choose their firm and insurance early, instead of waiting until March, aren't they?

ReputationRep:
    I've had offers from Warwick, York and Oxford.
    The two successful Cambridge applicants at my school both got all 6 offers, and between them had Imperial, Warick, Bristol, Newcastle and Durham offers.
    So, doesn't look like it applies in all cases!

ReputationRep:
    With the same logic, I think some unis wait so long to give offers because they are waiting to see if you are really interested--Oxbridge offer holders are encouraged to choose their firm and insurance early, instead of waiting until March, aren't they?
    All my other offers came out before Oxford did- they were all top unis too- York, Bristol, Warwick, Southampton and Sheffield, so that's not always true. Admittedly, i didn't apply to London, though.

ReputationRep:
    According to my teachers, universities are apparently able to see where you have RECEIVED offers from, but cannot see where you have applied if you haven't yet received a response - hence why Durham is always so late to reply!

ReputationRep:
    Whats the point in hiding where you have applied to in the first place then? If anything unis knowing where you have got in but only when you have been accepted is worse than unis knowing where u have applied but not where you have got in

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by notyourpunk)
    Whats the point in hiding where you have applied to in the first place then? If anything unis knowing where you have got in but only when you have been accepted is worse than unis knowing where u have applied but not where you have got in

duno.. just saying what i've heard!

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.