The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 40
routine to the week rather than a day, e.g. on lates or earlies, should get 1/2 a day for on call and as a junior expect to be on call on ave 3 nights a week and anything between every other and 1 in 5 weekends. doctors aren't really always on call either. 9-5 jobs e.g at vets in pet stores aren't worth having- certainly not for new grads.

As for studying, we do some on call for mall animal and equine hospitals, but it's manageable. Hope this helps.
Ahh you all did so much work exp compared to me. But I am lazy.
2 weeks small animal practises, 2 weeks dariy, 2 weeks equine stud (but bear in mind I've been working at a stud for like 3 months now, and worked at a riding school for about 3 years, and looked after a yard of horses for about 2 years).
Reply 42
Rahamahatta
Ahh you all did so much work exp compared to me. But I am lazy.
2 weeks small animal practises, 2 weeks dariy, 2 weeks equine stud (but bear in mind I've been working at a stud for like 3 months now, and worked at a riding school for about 3 years, and looked after a yard of horses for about 2 years).

Me too. i'd only done 1 week of prsctice when i applied, and i week milking and 2 weeks lambing, but i think its working in-depth esp. with horses that make some interviewers see you as a good bet- i'd worked for 5 years part time as a yard manager at a riding school and for long stints with army and police horses. I think thats what got me in (+grades- lol!) Nowadays being a closet horsey person has come in handy cos i can work part time to finance myself! yay!
Reply 43
Need a bit of advice current vetties, or anybody really!!!

On my personal statement I put that I was planning to do 3 weeks on a beef farm, some time in an abattoir, 2weeks in a zoo and a week at the RSPCA, which I was at the time.

Now that i've got in i'm still going to the abattoir and zoo, but is it necessary to go to the RSPCA and beef farm (i've already done kennels and cattery and other animal sanctuarys + lambing and diary)???

As in can they turn round and say I can't go because I haven't gone on to do what I said?? Or does anyone think its worth going to see this regardless??
Wow you were brave to say you were planning all that- I'm sure they won't challenge you on it- I'm sure a week at a beef farm would be good but not compulsary. I nearly said I was planning a day at an abbatoir but thought it would be a bit risky!
Reply 45
On my personal statement I put that I was planning to do 3 weeks on a beef farm, some time in an abattoir

I wrote that I was looking to gain experience from an abattoir, seemed failry logical at the time but now I feel chicken. Suppose thats something we have to get used to doh..

Sounds like you've got lots of experience, and I can't think they'd retract their offer if you decided not to do it all! But I recon the more experience we get before we start the easier (or less hard/ more manageable may be more suitable) it will be to get head around everything we'r taught as we can apply it to past practical experience.

Do you'r best and fit inn what you can, nobody can ask for more!:biggrin:
Reply 46
nope, i said i wanted to be a primatologist on my ps!!!!! (FOCL)

and that i enjoyed model making and gardening- how sad!!

Latest

Trending

Trending