Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I went to a BBQ for Australia Day and forgot to use insect repellant (I don't think I'll do that again ), and anyway to make a long story short, have about a million mossie bites now all over legs and arms Alright it's prolly something more like 15 bites all up, but it feels like more. Stupid mosquitos! :mad:

ReputationRep:
    I feel your pain! I went to Greece in the summer and got bitten to death. Don't itch them!! So much easier said that done i know!

ReputationRep:
    i had some horrid bites when i was in malaysia in the rainforest

but nothing beats the midgies in scotland. like ullapool. whole swarms of them

ReputationRep:
    I heard soaking them in baking soda and water helps? Or applying salt and vinegar straight onto them with a cotton bud relieves the itching a bit but I could be wrong.

ReputationRep:
    i tend to scratch mine till i bleed.
    usually in my sleep so i don't realise i'm doing it.
    (really not ideal considering i have the same occupation as you)

there's a good product called afterbite, which is mild ammonia in a solution.
    the ammonia stops the itching.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by danni_bella83)
    I heard soaking them in baking soda and water helps? Or applying salt and vinegar straight onto them with a cotton bud relieves the itching a bit but I could be wrong.
    I have usually heard that vinegar works for bee stings, not mosquito bites. Try neosporin to help the itching.

--------------

No. I meant Cortaid.

ReputationRep:
    Yesterday I went to a BBQ for Australia Day and forgot to use insect repellant (I don't think I'll do that again ), and anyway to make a long story short, have about a million mossie bites now all over legs and arms Alright it's prolly something more like 15 bites all up, but it feels like more. Stupid mosquitos! :mad:
    use an after-bite cream, they r usually based on ammonia or some similar chemical and they make the swelling disappear right away I hate mosquitoes, they should all get HIV and die

ReputationRep:
    Spray the bites closely with deodarant - that stops the itching.

Mosquitos are the worst, especially when they bite you on the forehead and you're walking around with a ridiculously large lump, not attractive.

During summer - I killed them, and disected their.. things they use to suck blood out with a compass, whilst watching them twitch. Fun trip.

ReputationRep:
    lol she wants to relieve the pain not start worrying about summin else (hopefully u wont get HIV) but any way dettol works for me !!! it stops itching and the bites go way

ReputationRep:
    apparently salt water is meant to help, when i go on holidays and i get just mosquitto bites i have a sort of allergic reaction to them and they swell really big and tend to get a lot more than my family , i usually go to the pharmacy and ask for a cream than stops itching and use salt water (although it stings a bit) but aprt from that there not much u can do unfortuanely but wait for it to do down naturally!

ReputationRep:
    i feel for you! i think i must have some nice tasting blood cos the mossies seem to love munching me at every opportunity!!
    i also react really badly to them and sometimes get really bad allgeric reactions! once one bite got so big it's diametre was 13 cms across!
    the best thing to do it take some strong antihistamine pills: such as piriton or benadryl. apply some antihistamine alergy cream. if that fails ice cubes do wonders, esp before you go to bed if you can't sleep!
    the most importnant thing is to NOT SCRATCH! it makes them much worse and last longer.

ReputationRep:
    ditto piroton works wonders

ReputationRep:
    Hey i work in a pharmacy, get some hydrocortisone cream (HC45) cream as this will calm down the redness and stop the itchiness, its good stuff.

ReputationRep:
    piroton works wonders
    yep, its the best iv found!

Submit reply
Turn on thread page Beta
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: January 28, 2006
Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.