The Student Room Group

Mechanical Engineering- BEng or Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry?

I am applying at Sheffield. I'm not sure about what course should I choose. :eek:

Mechanical Engineering with a Year in Industry - MEng

OR

Mechanical Engineering- BEng
Reply 1
Original post by s.asg
I am applying at Sheffield. I'm not sure about what course should I choose. :eek:

OR

MEng improves prospects?
Reply 2
Original post by s.asg

OR

MEng will mean you're more qualified, but more importantly that year in industry will make the difference imo. You'll have a MEng degree + a year of work experience, and that work experience is so valuable, particularly versus someone who has just done a MEng without it.

You can switch up/down usually when you get there, depending how your first year goes.
Reply 3
So if I apply for the BEng programme, I can later switch to the other one?
Reply 4
Original post by Nymthae
MEng will mean you're more qualified, but more importantly that year in industry will make the difference imo. You'll have a MEng degree + a year of work experience, and that work experience is so valuable, particularly versus someone who has just done a MEng without it.

You can switch up/down usually when you get there, depending how your first year goes.

Reply 5
Original post by s.asg

That's usually the case, you have to meet the requirements after the first year for most universities if you want to transfer up from the BEng to the MEng, but definitely if you have the grades now go for the MEng with a year in industry! Not only are you getting the higher qualification, but you also get the experience which could potentially secure you a job for when you graduate...
Reply 6
Original post by youssef.i
That's usually the case, you have to meet the requirements after the first year for most universities if you want to transfer up from the BEng to the MEng, but definitely if you have the grades now go for the MEng with a year in industry! Not only are you getting the higher qualification, but you also get the experience which could potentially secure you a job for when you graduate...

By grades you mean the A level requirements right?
Reply 7
Original post by s.asg
By grades you mean the A level requirements right?

Yeah. My course (MChem w/ Industry) required AAB, where as I had a lower offer for a straight MChem, and the BSc is the same as the MChem.

Even if you get in on the industry course, you still have to make the grade by the end of the year. Mine is 60% (which presumably would be the same as yours). But yes, if you went in on the BEng and got 60% at the end and said to them you want to switch then you usually can.
Reply 8
Original post by Nymthae
Yeah. My course (MChem w/ Industry) required AAB, where as I had a lower offer for a straight MChem, and the BSc is the same as the MChem.

Even if you get in on the industry course, you still have to make the grade by the end of the year. Mine is 60% (which presumably would be the same as yours). But yes, if you went in on the BEng and got 60% at the end and said to them you want to switch then you usually can.

Oh, okay. And if my predicted grades do match the entry requirements for the MEng progamme, should I still apply for BEng? Is that a safer option with a greater chance of acceptance in any university?
Reply 9
Original post by s.asg
Oh, okay. And if my predicted grades do match the entry requirements for the MEng progamme, should I still apply for BEng? Is that a safer option with a greater chance of acceptance in any university?

There's no difference with competition in the BEng/MEng, as far as I believe. They take so many students a year, but they're not fixed to how many are on BEng/MEng.

MEng is better to apply for because it's easier (securing funding from your local authority for the fourth year) to switch down to a BEng, than to go BEng -> MEng.

The only differences that matter, i'd say, are entrance grades. I applied twice at Sheffield - MChem/industry and just MChem because of the grade difference. I wasn't sure about meeting the AAB offer, although I knew I wanted to go to Sheffield.

Most open days seemed to recommend just applying for the MEng if you're not sure, as it makes changing easier, so I doubt they'd recommend that if it were any harder to get an offer from.

Quick Reply

Latest