Have done:

C1, C2, C3, C4
FP1
M1, M2
S1
D1

Is D2 worth doing, quite enjoying the lack of number crunching in D1 atm
Fairly sure that S3 is out, as S1 is mind numbing
But not sure about S2, because not sure doing FP2 and 3 is wise considering my college last had a Fmaths group 3 or 4 years ago...
FP2 or 3?

Cheers all
Reply 1
GordonP
which three M3, S2, FP2, FP3, D2, S3?

Have done:

C1, C2, C3, C4
FP1
M1, M2
S1
D1

Is D2 worth doing, quite enjoying the lack of number crunching in D1 atm
Fairly sure that S3 is out, as S1 is mind numbing
But not sure about S2, because not sure doing FP2 and 3 is wise considering my college last had a Fmaths group 3 or 4 years ago...
FP2 or 3?

Cheers all

I've not done FP3 or S3, but it looks from what you've said, and from the modules that you've done, that D2, M3, FP2 would be suitable. I've taught myself these three, and they all have difficult and demanding parts, but are all satisfying to learn. If you didn't enjoy S1, I don't think you'd enjoy S2.

D2 is more work similar to D1, but slightly more complex, and you get an introduction to Game Theory.

It is said by some that FP3 is easier than FP2, and I can't dispute that, since I've not done FP3. I found the conics chapter of FP2 difficult, and posted a number of problem questions on this forum and got really good detailed answers to all of them.
Reply 2
Here are my tips:
(I am better with stats so my opinions may be biased)
But S1 is highly putting off. S2 is a breeze. So I suggest you go for S2 as it is just simply looking up tables, but screw S3. S3 is hard....
FP2 is harder than FP3 (same case as above, I have not done FP3 but I have a friend who has. FP2 conics is hard but otherwise it's quite okay and is okay to do on your own. I guess you could go for M3, but I hate mechanics. Depends on your interests.
fp3 IS easier than fp2, fp3 can be taught with no knowledge of further maths.

M3 isnt that bad i dont think- im just about to tech myself it

Statstics is absolutely horribly boring and pointless! Artificial %^&$%^$!!

Decision i dont like in the same way as stats- just poo! lol
Reply 4
I've only done S2 from the list. But I am doing FP3, M3 (and maybe S3) at the moment.

I think Statistics is a worthwhile route. It is certainly easy marks (if not S3 then certainly S2). Go for FP3 rather than FP2.

M3 is very hard I am told.
Reply 5
From those I would choose FP2, FP3 and M3. In essence, I agree with futureaussiecto :smile: ...
Out of your list I have done M3 and S2 , both self taught...I also sort of self taught myself S3 but have forgotten it all now, dull. m3 has some nice bits to it and is quite challenging. S2 is alright but like S1 has a lot of definitions and places to lose marks. I have done up to Chapter 4/5 in D2, and it is alright so far, algorithms still take a while bit it seems a lot less tedious than D1. FP3 I haven't done yet apart from proof by induction, which is really nice. FP2 the first 2 chapters are alright, we haven't done chapter 3 yet, and we are currently doing Coordinate systems (conics) - This is hard.

I would recommend FP2, FP3 and M3 , possibly changing M3 with D2 if you prefer the look of the unit.
Reply 7
id pick FP2, FP3 and M3. although S2 isn't bad. but i prefer pure so would always do more pure than applied, lol.
I was under the impression that if you were thinking of claiming a Further Maths A Level you had to do all the Pure (ie. FP1, FP2, FP3) plus 3 applications, so bearing that in mind I would do FP2, FP3, S2 which is what I'm doing.

Laura :wink:
Reply 9
Applying for straight maths G100 (2006 entry) at:
Oxford (Univ)- unsuccessful
Durham (VM) - AAB - Nov 05 - probable firm
Leeds - ABCC - Oct 05 - probable insurance
Bristol - AAB - Dec 05 - going to decline
Nottingham - AAB - Nov 05 - going to decline
Manchester - invited for informal interview Oct 05 - declined

Yay! Another probable Durham mathematician!
Reply 10
Applying4Maths
I was under the impression that if you were thinking of claiming a Further Maths A Level you had to do all the Pure (ie. FP1, FP2, FP3) plus 3 applications, so bearing that in mind I would do FP2, FP3, S2 which is what I'm doing.

Laura :wink:

I believe you have to do at least two of the three further pure modules, and one of them has to be FP1. So you can do either FP1 and FP2, FP1 and FP3, or all three of them :smile: ...
ssmoose
Yay! Another probable Durham mathematician!

:wink: That's me :biggrin: :p: :cool:
I'd say go for FP2, FP3 and M3.
i say FP2, FP3 and S2.
Reply 14
I've doing the same modules as you and am doing FP2,FP3 and S2. Just done S2 and it is much better than S1 ever was, if you like the normal distribution that is(it's easy). The FP2 and FP3 is just fun.

Latest