75.69%
No (35)
16.06%
Unsure (18)
8.26%
W_F_HUMPHREYS
Badges: 0
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report Thread starter 10 years ago
Hi,
Basically i'm doing an Extended project this year based on whether zero is a number. If anyone has any views, or simply whether they believe it is a number or not - please comment. It would be much appreciated as this will give me the view of young people from a variety of backgrounds.
Thanks.
Mr M
Badges: 20
Rep:
? You'll earn badges for being active around the site. Rep gems come when your posts are rated by other community members.
Report 10 years ago
Now I've heard everything. This is going to make a very brief Extended Project.

What do you think it is by the way? An elephant?
IAmTheChosenOne
Badges: 0
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
"Number". Define it.

(Original post by Mr M)
Now I've heard everything. This is going to make a very brief Extended Project.

What do you think it is by the way? An elephant?
Lol
TenOfThem
Badges: 18
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I could tell you what I think but sadly I am not young

I am intrigued re this EP .. is it about zero or (young) people's perceptions of zero
boromir9111
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
:facepalm:
crazycake93
Badges: 13
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Can't wait for your imminent dissertation that will follow, at uni entitiled:

" Is any number, a number"
Astonix
Badges: 14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
No, it's a placeholder.

Edit:

The book I have "Mathematics: From the Birth of Numbers" states zero is the identity for addition (and subtraction) since x + 0 = 0 + x = x for all x. It also states it is not equal in status to other numbers (implying it is a number) as you cannot divide by 0 either.

As it's not equal to other numbers, it could be considered not a number at all.

Also OP, even with all the philosophy of zero, you wont have much to write about (how much do you have to write? You might be able to). I suggest another Maths topic such as Prime numbers. You could look at primeness, Fermat Numbers, Mersenne Numbers, Prime Number Theorem, Prime Testing Method of Fermat, Goldbach Conjectures, Twin Primes and Application of Prime numbers. There's a whole hog to write about there
stephie.u3
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
well its not a letter is it.
TheJ0ker
Badges: 11
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Maybe zero is the absence of numbers
james22
Badges: 16
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
This is just full of fail.
chickenonsteroids
Badges: 17
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
The project won't be a very long one
Swayum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
I don't think this question is as trivial as people are making it out to be. Let's consider some properties of 0:

0 + x = x, no other number has this property

0*x = 0, no other number has this property

x/0 cannot be defined, no other number has this property

0 didn't exist in mathematics for a pretty long time until it was added by people in India, very few numbers are like this.

0 is the only finite hyperreal number as far as I know (but I could be very wrong here).

0 is both on the real number axis and the complex number axis, no other number has this property.

In base 10, 0 is clearly a very special number because it appears infinitely many times after a terminating decimal. Also, it appears infinite many times BEFORE any finite number, i.e. 456 = 000000...456. That's a lot unlike any other number. You also get this weird property that 0.9999... (recurring) = 1.0000... (recurring), i.e. it has a weird relationship with the number 9 in base 10 (or, in base k, with the number k-1)

The list goes on. Why does 0 not behave like other numbers if it is a number? Why is it so special?

There's a whole book on the number 0 (called 'Zero' I believe), look it up. Heard it's good.
Astonix
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
I don't think this question is as trivial as people are making it out to be. Let's consider some properties of 0:

0 + x = x, no other number has this property

0*x = 0, no other number has this property

x/0 cannot be defined, no other number has this property

0 didn't exist in mathematics for a pretty long time until it was added by people in India, very few numbers are like this.

0 is not even and it's not odd, no other integer has this property

The list goes on. Why does 0 not behave like other numbers if it is a number? Why is it so special?

There's a whole book on the number 0 (called 'Zero' I believe), look it up. Heard it's good.
Thank god someone in this thread isn't full ******
Existentialistic
Badges: 9
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Swayum)
It's great, just finished reading it. It's called "Zero: The Biography of a Dangerous Idea", and explores the notion of zero in a great amount of detail along with providing some of the history behind zero as well.
TenOfThem
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
0 is even
Swayum
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by TenOfThem)
0 is even
Depends what definition you want to use for "even". If you want to say that "it must be divisible by 2 and leave no remainder", then yeah, 0 is even.
WhiteSlice14
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
Let me give you my opinion.

When you have a number e.g 1, it means that something exists.. e.g 1 apple, 1 car..

When you get 0 on your Extended Project (or an examination) why do we say, "Ohhh I GOT zero"... Really you don't GOT anything because it implies that the thing you supposedly 'have' doesn't exist.
Ham22
Badges: 15
Report 10 years ago
IS black a colour?
Dirac Spinor
Badges: 10
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
zero is of interest and one could ask many thought provoking questions about it but I don't think 'is it a number?' is one of them.
Astonix
Rep:
Report 10 years ago
(Original post by Ham22)
IS black a colour?
What you did there, I see it.
Nice one
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

How did your AQA GCSE English Language Paper 1 go?

Loved the paper - Feeling positive (70)
19.07%
The paper was reasonable (137)
37.33%
Not feeling great about that exam... (108)
29.43%
It was TERRIBLE (52)
14.17%

Watched Threads

Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise