heather_1994
Badges: 0
Rep:
?
Report Thread starter 8 years ago
I'm not sure if there's already a thread for this (I couldn't find one), but I was wondering if anybody knows/there is a website that lists all the universities that frequently/always interview modern language applicants.

Thankyou
KatieKate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I've got a MFL interview at Southampton so presumably they can go on the list.
Oxford obvs as they interview for everything.

Don't know of any others atm.
KatieKate
Badges: 10
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
* thank you is two separate words by the way.
Just so you know (:
Livzien
Badges: 1
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I am applying to Manchester Met and it says that they may ask to interview me =]
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
*watches thread* not applying til next year but already terrified at the thought of the interview!
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Etoile)
*watches thread* not applying til next year but already terrified at the thought of the interview!
They're not usually that bad, they just want to find out what you know, why you want to do the course and why you're suitable for it.
Etoile
Badges: 20
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hannah_dru)
They're not usually that bad, they just want to find out what you know, why you want to do the course and why you're suitable for it.
Thanks I just tend to get a little bit flustered in new situations like that. But hopefully by that time I will be super prepared Do you know what happens as far as an interview is concerned if you want to do an ab initio language?
hannah_dru
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Etoile)
Thanks I just tend to get a little bit flustered in new situations like that. But hopefully by that time I will be super prepared Do you know what happens as far as an interview is concerned if you want to do an ab initio language?
It's understandable, I'm the same. Unfortunately I don't but I imagine it's along the same lines.

I was asked some really random things like had I ever been to Germany before, what did I know about linguistics.
hmaus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester
SunsetRising
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Southampton's interview was just an open day with a 15 minute chat in English about my personal statement.
Cambridge interview too, obviously
Les_Sourires
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Manchester interview occasionally. My French teacher told me I'd definitely be interviewed before being offered a place, and they yet they gave me an offer without one. (y)
Not really sure what went on there! :P
thesilvermagnolia
Badges: 12
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
Sometimes, Birmingham interview informally for MFL, but its dependent on number of applicants and applicant:language choice ratio
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hmaus)
Manchester
Only for Middle Eastern Studies (Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Turkish), not Modern Languages (German, Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese).
hmaus
Badges: 14
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by Anatheme)
Only for Middle Eastern Studies (Hebrew, Arabic, Persian, Turkish), not Modern Languages (German, Spanish, French, Russian, Italian, Portuguese, Japanese, Chinese).
Maybe they have changed it. They interviewed me for French and German but it was a few years ago.
Anatheme
Badges: 18
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
(Original post by hmaus)
Maybe they have changed it. They interviewed me for French and German but it was a few years ago.
It's indeed been changed this since at least 2008
AuroraSurfer
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I have interviews or "informal interviews" at Oxford, Birmingham and Southampton for MFL, so these to name a few - when an admissions' tutor came to talk to us, he said that most 'visit days' will include an interview. They'll just call it a chat :P
polly.h
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
UCL ask for an interview (and possibly a portfolio of work) but i haven't heard from them yet
livelove
Rep:
?
Report 8 years ago
I had an interview from Southampton last year who told me they interview nearly everyone - however the interview was definitely more like an informal chat
marshallito
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
(Original post by hmaus)
Hi, I know you said it was a few years ago but do you remember how much of the interview was in German and French?
I have an interview at Manchester University for German and Spanish and I am so nervous of going blank if they ask me something in the language. :eek:
jess_pear95
Rep:
?
Report 6 years ago
Ooh, do Manchester only interview if you're taking German, does anybody know? I have an offer for French and Spanish, and I didn't have an interview.
I just had an interview at Oxford, and not much of it was in the language - there was only a very short section at the end that lasted a couple of minutes. Don't worry, you'll be fine!

Posted from TSR Mobile
X

Quick Reply

Attached files
Write a reply...
Back
to top
Latest
My Feed

See more of what you like on
The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

Personalise

University open days

• Bournemouth University
    Midwifery Open Day at Portsmouth Campus Undergraduate
    Wed, 18 Dec '19
  • The University of Law
    Open Day – GDL and LPC - Chester campus Postgraduate
    Sat, 4 Jan '20
  • University of East Anglia
    Mini Open Day Undergraduate
    Mon, 6 Jan '20

Did you vote in the 2019 general election?

Yes (372)
44.29%
No (89)
10.6%
I'm not old enough (379)
45.12%

Watched Threads