Turn on thread page Beta

ReputationRep:
    UEA... mmm shexy shexy concrete! :hubba:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    I personally was put off Oxford because I felt it was too spoilt and urbanised, the colleges aren't that pretty and to get to the nice park land/riverside you have to go a bit out. I can imagine it was once pretty, but it's just dominated by tatty shops and smoggy roads.
    which other city would you suggest?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    I personally was put off Oxford because I felt it was too spoilt and urbanised, the colleges aren't that pretty and to get to the nice park land/riverside you have to go a bit out. I can imagine it was once pretty, but it's just dominated by tatty shops and smoggy roads.
    I got the same impression of Oxford when I visited on an open day. Seemed like a lot of the colleges were closed off and hidden behind other buildings. I think Cambridge is the more beautiful because the university blends well with the city as a whole, and certain colleges are beyond comparison. I found Durham far more appealing than Oxford, too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The Boosh)
    which other city would you suggest?
    cambridge with the river running through it and the unspoilt backs

ReputationRep:
    fair enough.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    (Original post by Benny885)
    I got the same impression of Oxford when I visited on an open day. Seemed like a lot of the colleges were closed off and hidden behind other buildings. I think Cambridge is the more beautiful because the university blends well with the city as a whole, and certain colleges are beyond comparison. I found Durham far more appealing than Oxford, too.
    Thank you! My thoughts exactly, I'm glad I'm not the only one who thinks that!

ReputationRep:
    I've always found the architecture in Oxford to be overly bombastic when I've been there. Ho hum, living there for the next three years anyway. Durham is lovely, but I've never been to Cambridge - maybe I'll have a look given I'll be living down south.

ReputationRep:
    I live near cambridge and go shopping there a lot, also been to the christmas sevices at the uni. Its ok, but I dont really see what all the fuss is about! Maybe Im just used to the greenery!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by not)
    Yeah, in that respect Cambridge is nicer, seeing as it was rather more planned. (as in some of the Oxford scholars left Oxford with the intention of setting up a new university...free from being attacked by the locals).

Oxford is a university in a town, Cambridge is a town in a university...

Gosh I wish that made sense.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by (Owen)123)
    Yeah, in that respect Cambridge is nicer, seeing as it was rather more planned. (as in some of the Oxford scholars left Oxford with the intention of setting up a new university...free from being attacked by the locals).
    Yeeeees...

in the 13th century....

when Oxford was about the size of a modern village, and Cambridge not much smaller...

and before 90% of the colleges were built, and with total numbers of members in the 10s or 100s for both for centuries afterwards...

(i.e. that's nothing to do with it at all, it's largely due to Oxford being a more significant town historically for completely seperate reasons, such as the industrial growth of the 19th century to take just one example)

edit: and lots of other reasons, obviously, but fundamentally Cambridge's different layout isn't due to the initial scholars leaving Oxford at an early date

ReputationRep:
    I think Royal Holloway is really beautiful.
    xxx

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fredsmith365)
    Yeeeees...

in the 13th century....

when Oxford was about the size of a modern village, and Cambridge not much smaller...

and before 90% of the colleges were built, and with total numbers of members in the 10s or 100s for both for centuries afterwards...

(i.e. that's nothing to do with it at all, it's largely due to Oxford being a more significant town historically for completely seperate reasons, such as the industrial growth of the 19th century to take just one example)

edit: and lots of other reasons, obviously, but fundamentally Cambridge's different layout isn't due to the initial scholars leaving Oxford at an early date
    Yes. But my theory is more interesting, seeing as it is based on about 40 seconds of research.

But I still do see what you mean, and I stand corrected. Anyway, I still prefer Cambrdige as the more attractive...for whatever reasons.

ReputationRep:
    I agree, when I visited Oxford inside the colleges (ie. Merton) were stunning, but as soon as I walked out I felt like I'd hit a crappy version of London. Too much fumes and cars, I prefer Cambridge's quietness and more intimate atmosphere.

ReputationRep:
    I think Nottingham is gorgeous, especially in the sunshine. Oxford is lovely too though

ReputationRep:
    ^^ I agree, I thought Notts was lush when I went to look round. Nothing beats Cambridge for charm and prettiness though.

I disagree that Durham is beautiful - it's not really. The town centre is crap, but I guess parts of it have a lot of charm.

ReputationRep:
    And yet you like Nottingham... :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RR)
    The town centre is crap
    Well, who can argue with that superbly well made point? :rolleyes:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fieldsofanfield)
    Well, who can argue with that superbly well made point? :rolleyes:
    lol well what I meant is that there's a lack of decent shops etc. Also for a city that is raved about as being beautiful, the town centre I found disappointing. However Durham has its nice parts (up near the Cathedral etc).

ReputationRep:
    ...remind me how that's not in the town centre?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RR)
    lol well what I meant is that there's a lack of decent shops etc.
    Maybe I've missed the point of the thread, but I thought we were talking about Britain's 'most beautiful universities', not which ones are in the towns with the best shops. :rolleyes:

Poll
Black Friday: Yay or Nay?
Useful resources
Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups

The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Write a reply...
Hide
Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.